vizwhiz

hi There

Vizards and ya'all

we just went thru a color calibration here at work, what fun

what an eye opener That was to see all the different options

etc

have you done a color calibration on your monitor printer and/or scanner

etc Lately?

if not, why not, if you do Then how often??

i had been trying to eyeball match colors from physcial samples on screen

which it turned out That There is a red halogen light wreaking havoc in my

work space

i would look at a sample and it was slightly reddish

i held it up at the screen and slightly turned it away

and it looked more green

i Thought i was hallucinating, again (yes i am from the 60's)

finally tracing the shadow from my finger i figured out where the offending light

source was coming from, it is several feet overhead and in someone elses work space

so i am not allowed to change it

besides That there is at least 3 or fours windows, exit emergency lights

and a d*mn door that adds excessive glare onto the computer screen

every Time it opens, i block my rear view with a masonite sheet

what do you do to minimize glare or to color correct your work??

??

just idle curiousity

so far i got about 34,000 hours hands-on a keyboard Time

i Think That my eyes or at least my brain is getting fuzzy

Thanks

Randy

I must confess that I never calibrate either. With having a long standing background in professional audio there always used to be a similar argument about studio monitors/speakers, and trying to acheive the most neutral sound. My person opinion is to learn your system, by that I mean understand how you monitors tint your work, and how your printer emphasises certain colours, then compensate for it with your work.

I don't believe you'll ever get 100% colour accuracy so why try and acheive it. Having said that I maybe looking at things through rose tinted glasses!!

I don't have a calibrated system. What I do is get my colors as close as I can visually, then roll with it. If accuracy is very important, I'll take a Pantone swatch book and match my materials to the swatch book, and write down what Pantone color I need to use. Then I open up Autocad Arch Desktop and hatch a box with the Pantone colors, and set the color to the one in my swatch book. This gives me the RGB color values that I can plug into Photoshop or Max. If I'm in photoshop I'll create a layer at the top of my layer list and fill little swatches with the RGB value I obtained from Arch Desktop, and then apply adjustment layers to my photoshop image to tweak colors. I've not found an easier/faster way to get accurate colors. Even the architects in the office might look at my renderings and tell me the colors are off. When I pull out the material samples and hold them up to my rendering, they always say "...maybe we need to pick a different paint color then because you're rendering is correct."