What Happened With Maxwell

Elliot

Hello,

What has happened with Maxwell....? Everybody is so quiet...!

Elliot

They are supposed to be releasing another alpha release (with potentially more code optimiziation and more features) within the next week, I believe. Also, the stand-alone alpha is slated for a mid-March release and should be able to import most conventional 3D file formats (3ds, dxf, obj, etc) , and work outside of MAX. Looking forward to that one. The final release is still slated for June.

You might also want to check out Nextlimit's Maxwell website gallery because they updated with new user images including Fran's earlier this week.

I had arun at it earlier this week at friend's computer and I was quite impressed with the simplicty of the interface ( pretty much, just time, location and sampling are the only things one really tweaks). If they do, drastically reduce the render times or at least the noise production, they should have a serious competitor on their hands, particularly with the plans for the stand-alone version, which is still an open field, considering the fact that the Vray people froze the plans for their stand-alone version.

But overall, I would say, it's still looking good.

• 2 weeks later...

""- What would make Maxwell render a 'state of the art' renderer. Compared to the fab 4 that are allready on the market? (FR, MR, Vray and the love of my life,...Brazil r/s?)""

hello i uderstand that they have a realistic calculation for the light then if is true is a one bullet render no errors no problems and never again try and mistake ting

Thanks Fernando,

hello i uderstand that they have a realistic calculation for the light then if is true is a one bullet render no errors no problems and never again try and mistake ting

in other words...I should give it a try? I've read the complete promo-mercial and yes, they (Maxwell) told about the realistic calculation, also keeping it a big mystery how they've achieved that. I also keep track of the Maxwell-forum, curiousity and interested in development of the cg-world is why.

Well...I'll just wait, read a set of reviews, pick up a trial and decide to buy or not.

Good luck.

Dennis

Your right, the thing that separates Maxwell from all the others out there is its ability to render in realistic terms. The way I understand it is all the light calculations are based on a theory that governs the way light is distributed. All the materials and lights in Maxwell are created with this theory applied, so the light will interact with objects in a "real" way. The other render packages use algorithms and tricks to reach a solution which can cause artifacts. Maxwell also uses a virtual camera which allows light to interact with it as a real camera would. This is probably the most important aspect of the program since we are all used to seeing photographs, to us that represents true reality. The program is trying to accurately represent the process of photography and how light enters a camera, this approach is completely new which is what gives Maxwell it's appeal.

Hi all,

I'm just wondering, 2 things to be honest...

- What would be the ultimate benefit of having a renderer which works on a standalone structure (beside the crash-issues when integrated in Max?)

It has an advantage on several sides. For the developers side... If you write it once, then all you need to do is write the translator for each 3d app, which is much easier to write a translator then a full blown plugin.

On the user side, by unifying it, you will know that a render from Maya will be the same as a render from Max. Also, shading languages can be written for it. The render files may be able to be parsed... lots of productivity advantages to a standalone....