Inital Setup for MR

jtiscareno

What kind of scene do U have?

Post the file, if U like, so we can work on the 'magical' setup.:)

What kind of lights U used? What setups U tried?

I think this kind of topic already exists..

Far from being an MR expert, but it's not that difficult,really.

Cheers

A simple GI setup (similar to Brazil's skylight), is merely a two step process.

1) Add a skylight to your scene.

2) Turn on final gather.

Beyond those basics, you can adjust the color of the skylight, the number of samples, add a light for the sun, etc. But those two steps will get you going in the right direction.

Jeff, thanks, it is sort of working. I will post images of comparison with Brazil and MR. But first I checked your website and tried the skydome to play with color, very useful for our skys here in the southwest, but I could not make the color on the gradiant map???

Posted are images of your and of my setup, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks Jeff.

OK, now for the images and comparison in MR and Brazil.

Images of photomontage are done with Brazil, other two images are done are posted with information.

As you can see there is a big difference between Brazil and MR (well my setup), how can I get an image similar to brazil in MR?

Thanks for help.

1) You need to right click on the gradient sliders to input the colors you want in the gradient.

2) I'm not sure what's going on with the shadows in your render. What type of shadows are you using on the directional light? I'm going to guess that the scene is too bright (judging from the lack of shadows on the blue section, and the bright interior of the one with orange windows? OR it could be a material problem, what type of mats are you using? (or a combination of both)

Photo comps (and especially ones with RPC's) are a bit of a pain with Mental Ray. The matte/shadow material doesn't work with MR, neither do RPC's. But there are work arounds (shadow passes, etc).