How valuable are rendered images

gipper51

I think pretty much everything has been said already. There are a lot of communication problems between clients and architects, and (good) CG can help, as can good design, good oratorial skills, good (gasp!) hand renders, etc.

In our profession, it has become extremely important to have good self-advertising, CG is a part of that and it will become standard practice.

Good luck Gipper and thanks for sharing your views everybody!

Guest BOTS

Hi, I followed this stimulating forum for a while and it’s about time I contributed something.

From an Architects perspective, the roll of CG visualisation (or whatever permutation of this title you prefer) is an increasingly important tool from communicating concepts, ideas, resolving detail and understanding complex spatial and structural analysis. Unfortunately I believe that roll will have to change as visualisation software becomes more user friendly.

From the nuances of AutoCAD R12 3D wire frames for my student projects to the simplicity of Sketch Up as my current muse, even the humble Architect can begin to free themselves of the material world and begin to utilise the power of a virtual world directly. By doing more design work up front on a virtual building model, the speed of the idea and its development can be integral to the visualisation output.

Maybe the roll of task specific visulisers will be reduced to adding some lights and colouring in?

Hi, I followed this stimulating forum for a while and it’s about time I contributed something.

From an Architects perspective, the roll of CG visualisation (or whatever permutation of this title you prefer) is an increasingly important tool from communicating concepts, ideas, resolving detail and understanding complex spatial and structural analysis. Unfortunately I believe that roll will have to change as visualisation software becomes more user friendly.

From the nuances of AutoCAD R12 3D wire frames for my student projects to the simplicity of Sketch Up as my current muse, even the humble Architect can begin to free themselves of the material world and begin to utilise the power of a virtual world directly. By doing more design work up front on a virtual building model, the speed of the idea and its development can be integral to the visualisation output.

Maybe the roll of task specific visulisers will be reduced to adding some lights and colouring in?

not neccesarily. i see your point, and it is correct as far as current software will let the novice user produce nice images. however, pencils and paper have been around for a very long time, but that does not mean anyone can puick them up and create a beautiful image. you can argue that the 2 mediums are not similar enough to make that comparison, but to say that 3d illustration is purely computer driven, and has nothing to do with photography, trad arch illustration, and art is wrong.

i expect that very soon more and more people will be using adavanced software to create beautiful images with little training, but that will simply up th eante for what we are doing here. we will begin to experiment more with animation, and special suggestive techniques. at least that is where i want to go. essentailly making it no different than picking up a video camera, and shooting a building.

anyone can do it, but not everone can do it well.

Eric,

Yes our designer does do most of our "rendered" images when we do have them. I feel he does a nice job with the traditional hand rendering. Unfortunately, because of time restraints though the actual image is usually just a front elevation with a bit of shadow and some sidewalks thrown in to add perspective. He is capable of very good true perspective renderings, but again it all falls back to the "is it worth the time" mentality that we have. I agree, I love the look of a hand rendered image as they have alot of character.