Kubadilishana and Motiva COLIMO 0.7.5 beta tech preview.

japi

I was thinking about posting our 3d awards entry called "Kubadilishana" when I remembered that I haven't posted nothing in cga about Motiva COLIMO software yet..

Motiva COLIMO is a tool that allows to change lights, colors and textures using prerendered images as base, not only colors and textures are affected but his influence over the whole scene including raytraced reflections,raytraced refractions and GI bleeding.

For better comprenhension about how this app works watch the videos:

- Motiva COLIMO Overview I:

- Motiva COLIMO Overview II:

And now is announced the 0.7.5 beta new feature SSR (Screen Space Relief)

- Motiva COLIMO new features:

More info and demo: www.motivacg.com/colimo_en.php

FAQ: http://www.motivacg.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=21

And after that (long) presentation of the software I'd like to show you our 3DA entry called Kubadilishana.

It is a project based on that technology with multiscene support. Unfortunatly we had no time to record this video explaining the use of the software and the judges will open the app without any info about what is or how it works :( so I think that we have zero opportunities to be nominated (we've presented another entry too).

KUBADILISHANA VIDEO:

Edited by japi

• 6 months later...

I haven't tried it, but I watched the videos yesterday and it looks pretty amazing. Would sure save a lot of time in house with tweaking colours, finished etc.

I wonder how effective it would be on a larger scene or if there is any limitation to the size of the scene?

I'm disappointed at the timing of the release of this software and I'll tell you why. If this had come out two or three years ago I could see how powerfully it would have impacted production because it's basically a post real time render engine but in today's market that's a problem. Now that virtually all render engines have real time engines something like this has a very limited scope of usefulness since the real time engines can do everything this can. Real time engines also have the advantage of being able to change objects in the scene and this can't, then there's the question as to whether rendering out all those different channels increases render times or not. I can see it having a limited use when you need to make minor changes and don't have the time to re-render but you'd have had to think ahead and have all the channels available.

seems to be some terminology confusion. Realtime engines are more like lumion, quest3d, twinmotion etc. Vray RT and Iray are not realtime (fast, gpu based progressive refinement approaches, sure, but not realtime). i think the fact that Colimo tweaking can run on a laptop puts in in a different category and makes the option more accessible for most people.

still, the approach colimo is taking seems to be more like the Swap technique from Fryrender but opened up for any render engine. You still need to plan out a bit what's changing but does seem to be very useful for quickly swapping out finishes based on shoddy design planning.

You could do this before but this makes it nice and friendly with an easy to use UI. look up rpf and combustion workflow for replacing textures in post and things like the Vray multilight method that came out when maxwell was released. they all offer flexibility to do what this does but takes planning and brain cells.

John I think your trying to split hairs here, programs like Vray RT are being presented as real time render engines which are obviously different from game engines which lumion and twinmotion are based on. My point was that had this software come out a few years ago before these new rendering methods had made their appearance it would have been much more useful.

Ah, i guess I was trying to say that this was quite available many years ago as a workflow option and people still didn't adopt it in their pipeline even before GPU and Directx rendering and Track seemed to take the mention of virtually all render engines have real time engines comment to the leap of directx rendering instead of what is a very different animal. The distinction seemed important so others didn't think the same.

As for Colimo, this interface certainly does increase render times as any change would. you have a base and then another full render for each object to change and if this was meant as an interactive tool to present with a designer or client, there's always the danger that once they see you change a couple things you planned for, they'd want to change a couple you didn't or take it further and ask you to move a couch or something and completely short circuit the process. In most studios, you'd solve this change with an object pass or a mask and be done with it so i also question the long term usefulness for most architectural firms.

For specific areas like product design or residential production builders where they have a base product and then have a finite number of cosmetic options available for consumers, this would work out great and save a lot of time but for one off or boutique work, its just complicating things a bit and it sounds like your impression is the same, yes?