Need help with realism and saturation

randymcbrayer

1380813414.jpg

Studio/Institution: Undisclosed Famous Pizza Chain
Genre: Commercial Interior
Software: 3ds Max 2014 w/ Mental Ray
Description:

I've recently taken on a role doing many more renderings than I used to and now I'm able to really focus on improving on my quality. However, with so many options I'm not sure where to start. My renderings are coming out too saturated and just don't look realistic. I have an entire model of the building built for other purposes and have glass windows which allow exterior light in the scene. I have a skylight with an HDRI map, am using a target spot for higher intensity sun and photometric light on the interior. Most materials I have used are Arch&Design (mental ray renders). Any suggestions? I'm an architect by trade and am basically self taught in max so please don't be shy in your responses as all feedback will help me grow. Thanks!!

It's a nicely made 3D scene, maybe you should look at how these type Pizza Chains are photographed in the real world and try to mimic it. Just as a thought maybe you could increase the strength of the HDRI light source and decrease the interior lights as it looks like a night shot.

Thank you both for the advice! I went online and did some searching for better lighting setups than what I was using and came across this:

http://www.ronenbekerman.com/louis-kahns-esherick-house-3d/

I tried the setup but the render time ended up being about 6.5 hrs. I went back in and reduced the glossy samples, reduces the GI photos and samples min / max, took ambient occlusion off the materials as well as displacement maps. This brought the render time down to 2 hrs at 2700ppix1400ppi. Still, much too long for the amount of shots I need to get. Any further help or tips would be great. The image attached does have an AO pass applied in photoshop. I also darkened the floor and added beer bottles.

Lighting Fixed.jpg

Stone - too saturated and texture too rough. Also I think that kind of stone scale should be smaller. Desaturate your map or have a tan diffuse color and make the diffuse map less than 100% to taste. Lower your bump map value - that kind of stone does not have a pebbly surface; right now it looks like sand paper. Light scallops on stone should not be that hard edged and segmented.

Cooler door is blotchy - I'm assuming it's supposed to be stainless. Bottles map is not working. Too gray and looks like bottles are on an incline.

Pizzas are too yellow.

You've got a dark corner at the end of the serving line. Display case area is dark as are soffit above and wall. The soffit above is inconsistent. The left side is nicely lit and seems to be slightly reflective - right side is flat and dark.

Too much light fog. I would re-locate the outside hanging light fixtures to define them better. Right now the left one is positioned right on the corner of the brown wood soffit. Artistic license if being able to shift things around for aesthetic effect.

You're losing the brown wood definition - especially compared to the crisp gray wood definition. It's a feature element and should not be flat like that. I would light it separately if necessary.

Workroom beyond is washed out.

Wainscot is weakly defined.

Sneeze guard glass needs reflections.

Getting rid of the view taper would make it more realistic.

One way to lessen contrast would be to have some overall GI or I've seen people place a plane light shining horizontally on the whole scene.

Right now the stone is a big culprit. Once it's toned down I think things will improve greatly.

Edited by heni30

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I agree with George on the stone. Are you using displacement instead of bump map? You should use bump. The corners have this white artifact running up them.

Also, what's with the haze? Are they burning the pizza's?

Do you have Final Gather turned off? You should for an interior scene like this with no windows or direct sunlight.

Once you have placed the mr Sun and have access to the mr Photographic Exposure Control under the Environment tab you can scroll down and under Image Control adjust your Highlights (Burn), Midtones and Shadows.

I'm cool with the bottles in the cooler, I think that looks like they are in a slanted rack so the ones in the back slide forward when you remove the one in front. The pizza oven however is brutal. Go to a restaurant equipment web site and look at double deck pizza ovens. The top of the doors need some serious edge curve. Material wise start with the A&D Brushed Metal.

Your time doesn't surprise me. Can you utilize Distributed Bucket Rendering. This was like getting a Red Rider BB gun with compass in the stock when I used it the first time. And soooo easy to get running.

Ata-boy time: Over-all it's looking good, don't get discouraged. Another source of good information is Jamie Cardoso, I don't want to plug books, but his, especially his most recent is phenomenal. Helped me step-up from freshman to junior varsity team, next stop Varsity 'B'!

http://jamiecardoso-mentalray.blogspot.com/