Good Source for People

alastairbattson

I am tasked with rendering out a scene in 3D MAX for a client. They are pushing for photorealistic people in the rendering. Typically we just add shadowed silhouettes so for this version we bought some "Resort" people (Kids and adults) (beach, pool, etc) with Alpha channels and mapped them onto planes in the scene and rendered them. But the people are not all photographed with the lighting the same, some have broad daylight, some have cloudy diffused light, and the shadows on their bodys are all different.

I have tried to google good resources and what works best, but not to much avail. What are good resources for this stuff? Is a alpha channel mapped photo on a plane a good way to go?

adding people to a rendering is more an art than a science, so there is not a single answer, there are several techniques around and they all work in the right hands.

If you don't have experience on this, I would recommend to practice a lot, because you need to train your eye to notice the "little" details that will make you image successful or a bad photo collage.

You need to spend time looking for the people that match you scene, yes lighting is a big problem, but if you have a library big enough you can get nice results.

Some of the libraries that can be found in this mere websites are.

Got3D, epictor.com, viz-people.com, Doch3D, skalgubbar.se, mrcutout.com, immediateentourage.com, and many more just Google search cut out people.

Good luck.

You can always shoot your own. I used to set up a tripod downtown and have a long cable shutter release. Click away discreetly while looking away.

I would get dozens of good people. Then you can have a Craigs Photoshop monkey trim them up for cheap.

• 1 month later...

I am tasked with rendering out a scene in 3D MAX for a client. They are pushing for photorealistic people in the rendering. Typically we just add shadowed silhouettes so for this version we bought some "Resort" people (Kids and adults) (beach, pool, etc) with Alpha channels and mapped them onto planes in the scene and rendered them. http://www.vceplayer.com/simulator/vce-player.html

But the people are not all photographed with the lighting the same, some have broad daylight, some have cloudy diffused light, and the shadows on their bodys are all different.

I have tried to google good resources and what works best, but not to much avail. What are good resources for this stuff? Is a alpha channel mapped photo on a plane a good way to go?