Large Print Rendering Vray 2.0 Rhino 5

lindsaybutler

I know this subject repeatedly gets hashed out on the forums, but I have tried all suggestions I have come across thus far- so if anyone has any insight please chime in!

I need to produce 7200 x 3600 px with rhino 5/vray 2. It is of an interior / exterior habitat for a rhinoceros, (Rhinos in Rhino!) thus, lots of vray proxy grasses, plants, trees, rocks. (though most of the trees are actually flat planes)

I rendered out shots at 2048 x 1024 px, and my general everyday settings with dr spawner over 4 networked computers, each took 45 minutes or so, no problems.

So, on to render large, and I'm using brute force and ir map, (light cache is always finicky and crash happy for me with lots of plantings)

screenshots of settings are attached-

I am pre- calculating IR map, and rendering to vrimg, and no memory frame buffer

In the past, these have worked for me for large stuff. Especially key was the tweaking the default displacement settings, as vray's default is too high.

I am now hoping I can get the RGB and alpha channels rendered out, and plan on scaling up other channels I need in photoshop for post, as I read in a Max/vray thread that the z-depth pass can be heavy if you have lots of proxies far away.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated, especially anyone familiar with rhino/vray... things just behave a bit differently than max/vray.

Maybe I should turn off DOF? I know lens effects can add significant time...

I have attached some of the draft shots- (btw each view is in a separate file now, and geometry not affecting the view is deleted, materials and scene purged)

settings-

4.JPG

draft shots-LB-3.jpg

10 with rhino.jpg

5 revised rocks.jpg

1.jpg

3.JPG

1.JPG

2.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

See if it renders with displacement disabled. If it does, it may be easier to use an alternative than to try than to troubleshoot the displacement.

I dont see anything in your previews that would demand displacement be used. Also, I'd drop the AA settings from 1-8 to 1-6 and give the DMC a break, bring it down from ,005 to ,01. (You are rendering pretty high res anyway). If your materials and lights are mostly at default settings for sampling, then boost globally in the Sampling Global multiplier by x5.

If you still have problems, try Proxy-ing the planting.

Thanks Tom! I will try adjusting the DMC settings. Turning off displacement was going to be my next attempt as the displacement mats will need work in post anyway. and all the plants are already proxied!

I have been looking at perfect resize and generally resampling up in photoshop... thinking I can render out at 75% size and bring it up...