Do I need two 3DS Max license, or how can I work more efficiently?

alejandrofernandez

Hi,

If someone who works profesionally doing renderings could please advice me into my next move. Lately I´ve had a lot of work and I was thinking to buy a new 3DSMax license and vray to work on 2 projects simultaneously. Or what sould I do? I´ve been reading on batch rendering, backburner and related stuff, but I´m not 100% sure if that would works for me. So I´d like to know how you guys work, do you use just one license and make it work, or have two, or how do you make your time more efficient.

I´ve been doing this for a little over a year, and one computer was OK, but now the work load is bigger, and I know that there are PROS out there who Im sure know what is the best way to work.

So please I need advice if should buy a new license, or what else?

If you are the only one working in this project you only need one license of 3D Max, in the manual stipulate that it is a computer locked license. That mean it can be used in one machine at the time only. Having said that, with your 3D Max license you get unlimited render nodes. So you can have installed 3D Max in your work station and distribute rendering or use back burner in many other machines. (What most of us do)

V-Ray in the other side is other licence. in the latest release (3.x) Chaos group changed their policies and you have to pay for your render nodes. For the basic V-Ray license you get only 1 render node. So you can render in your work station + other computer. If you need more render power you need to pay for that. (Render nodes licences)

To resume, 3D Max 1 work station+ many renders node.

V-Ray 1 workstation + 1 render node. more nodes more money.

If you plan to grow, hiring other person you need to pay for his/Her workstation 3D MAx + V-Ray license.

Autodesk products allow you to load onto your office pc and home pc so in effect for yourself you already get 2 licenses. Sounds like you need a couple of pc boxes to help rendering times, and distributed rendering.

The above applies, Only if your on subscription.

I checked.