Applying textures to downloaded objects

janisaufmanis

Hi all,

I am facing this problem with trees and textures - I have downloaded many plants and trees from archive3d.net and the come in .zip files. There is geometry included ( usually 3Ds file) and a package of textures that has to be applied.

Can you please comment on how to apply this bark and leaf texture? The problem is, the geometry is complicated and requires a lot of actions, but I believe there must be some simple hacks to avoid the struggle of UV mapping etc.

So, what is the normal way of downloading objects and getting their textures fixed? I tried to search in this forum, but did not find any topics. Feel free to share all related links, topics.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
Hi all,

I am facing this problem with trees and textures - I have downloaded many plants and trees from archive3d.net and the come in .zip files. There is geometry included ( usually 3Ds file) and a package of textures that has to be applied.

Can you please comment on how to apply this bark and leaf texture? The problem is, the geometry is complicated and requires a lot of actions, but I believe there must be some simple hacks to avoid the struggle of UV mapping etc.

So, what is the normal way of downloading objects and getting their textures fixed? I tried to search in this forum, but did not find any topics. Feel free to share all related links, topics.

Thanks!

Janis,

If you want accurately texture a tree with all it's branches and leaves it's hard to get around the UV work. However if you section off some of the geometry into larger pieces you could drop a seamless texture on and repeat them to get the right look.

For example if you make the entire trunk one grouping of geometry then a seamless bark texture can be placed without having to manually unwrap the UV's. It won't be as good as if you unwrapped it but it might cut down on time and be the solution you're looking for. If you're not rendering the trees as a close up then even better.

I create textures which could be used exactly for this purpose. I have several bark textures on my site with some new seamless versions coming out soon. http:http://www.alpine-digital.com

The simplest method is to create a material for each texture and add the corresponding bitmaps to the proper channels, like diffuse, bump, etc. Then apply the material to the correct object. If the model was exported to 3ds with embedded uv info from the original model, the textures should fit perfectly and you will just have to polish up the material for quality. Unfortunately, it won't be clear whether the uv info is embedded or not until you try to apply the material. I don't think I've ever come across a complex model on archive3d that didn't have the correct uv info already baked; it's usually just a matter of building the materials, applying them, then - depending on the outcome - possibly fixing the uv mapping, but more likely I just won't use that model.

Some objects usually are UVWmapped allready. Select your object, then open your material and use the "Get material from object" function, then if you are lucky there should be a multisub material, then it is just a matter of finding out what material ID corresponds to the different materials, and input your textures into the sub materials, and tweak the tiling or units of the maps if they do not fit by default.

Some objects usually are UVWmapped allready. Select your object, then open your material and use the "Get material from object" function, then if you are lucky there should be a multisub material, then it is just a matter of finding out what material ID corresponds to the different materials, and input your textures into the sub materials, and tweak the tiling or units of the maps if they do not fit by default.

Which site are you guys downloading 3D models from which include UV maps?

JANIS- If you still need help message me and I'd be happy to take a look at your model's UV's.