Hide edges in Edit Mesh but not Edit Poly?

3dwannab

Hi,

I find it strange that in edit poly there are no hide edges but in edit mesh there are.

Brief summary of what I what to do:

I have a model which has polygons directly underneath a window cill (This is so I can map a black and white map in map channel 2 to apply VRay dirt (In a blend material, see screenshots attached) to that particular area when unwrapped in that channel. Channel one is for the diffuse, bump etc.

I have also used VRay EdgeTex to create fake rounded corners to any edges and inside that maptype I've chosen to not affect hidden edges. (see screenshot attached) The tuturial for this method of rounding corners is by Peter Guthrie @ http://www.peterguthrie.net/blog/2009/03/vray-edge-fillet-tutorial/

The trouble is as you can see from the screenshot is the left building has the lines above and below the cill getting affected by the VRay edge tex whereas the right one has an edit mesh modifier applied and those edges are hidden.

My question is. Is there any way to do a similar thing in edit poly as in edit mesh by hidden edges

OR

Even if you have any suggestions of any other way to do the same thing.

Thank you.

Screen EdgeTex.jpgpencil.png

Screen Render.jpg

Screen Edged Faces.jpg

Screen Stone Material.jpg

Sorry guys for the late reply and thanks for your feedback/suggestions..

In EPoly mode you cannot delete / hide these edges; not AFAIK. You can minimize the effect by cutting around the wall whether above or below the window opening and then you can delete the edges you currently have.

I cannot delete any edges as I need those to map map channel 2 to the dirt map. The thing is with the vray edgetex map it rounds bumps those edges so adding any is not an option.

If you are already rendering, why not place an edit mesh on top and manually hide your unwanted edges ? ( considering you finished modelling )

E Poly does require some of those edges as support edges, thus there is no "visible/invisible" toggle in edit poly ( internally it uses a totally different data structure ).

Thanks, that's exactly the thing I was doing. Just thought there might be a more efficient way of doing it inside the edit poly or another method.

^

The wall is made from different objects/meshes, thats way he still have visible edges...

It's made from the same polygons to display what you see.

---------------------------------------

I'll stick with the method as spacefrog suggested.

Much thanks guys.

^

The wall is made from different objects/meshes, thats way he still have visible edges...

Even in that case you could simply drop ONE edit mesh onto all of those models ( so that the edit mesh modifier is instanced ) and be able to work on the whole object's edges at once

This might be some dangerous stack configuration though, as some simple change in one of the base models can screw up edge indices and thus flagging totally wrong edges to be invisible in the edit mesh ( but thats the case too when it is only just one object )