Anyone notice?

AdamT

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

May i add clipmaps?

These are also important in archivis, and i dont think we will see them too.

Just to be sure I am getting it, by clipmaps we mean an alpha-channel to control transparency? Assuming 'yes', it is pretty important.

I've made several posts on MWRforum pointing out that a decade ago Lightscape produced physically-based lighing solutions with a sun/sky system, with sun+glass that worked and could be seen from outside or reflected, with alpha-channels. And it was simple to set up a scene's lighting and baked the lighting. But it also lacked many features we would need today, the most important of which was a future.

This is utterly and completely false. Rs2 works, and early on renders of it chewing through a host of "impossible" scenarios were posted. I don't know if they're still around or not.

Rs1+ was devised because the total time for development of Rs2 for release would've been too great. Users need something to work with sooner than that. And because so much of the development time has gone into Studio and the materials (which are really Rs2's materials), then at least 2/3rds of the development time - if not more - is progressive. Rs2 works, and needs more time.

_Mike

Ok if you say so. But the point still stands - if RS1+ is being developed, it means the time schedule for the RS2+ is a long long ways off.

These statements is encouraging, but unfortunately people will believe it when we see it. You do a good job (you are defending NL all over the web) but the truth is that NL lost all of its credibility with the RC1 release.

After long period of silence they led everyone to believe for months that everything was fixed, and then even went ahead in the days before the RC release with the 'history in the making' bs, before doing their 'historic release' of an application in which nothing worked and it basically all it did was crash every 10 seconds or so.

Releasing such a catastrophic 'RC' while at the same time claiming that it was a historic moment for the CG industry more or less killed all credibility that NL has, and up until that point there really wasn't much to begin with.

So from that point on its the facts that count. And tuesday hopefully, we'll see again what's really going on - personally I think that NL needed a few more months (until may 2006) before they released another RC, so it will be curious.

An by the way, if everything is going so great, why did Thomas An. leave?

But you do a good job this isn't against you, MVerta

:)

as i cannot post anymore on NLs forum here's my priority list:

1: cosmicblobs plug-in (that was obvious)

2: filter technology that prevents importing math-models into studio

3: basic 101 marketing studies for NLs managers

4: english foreign langauge studies for the whole NL team

(damn their communication sometimes is really cryptic)

5: the compensation: a victor-lookalike-voodoo-doll for everybody

6: licensing the technology so other companies who know how to pull such a project off so they could integrate it

7: the forum users get to choose the mods in a poll :)

The sun>glass problem is obviously a disaster. What kills me is this:

"Rs1+ was devised because the total time for development of Rs2 for release would've been too great. Users need something to work with sooner than that. And because so much of the development time has gone into Studio and the materials (which are really Rs2's materials), then at least 2/3rds of the development time - if not more - is progressive. Rs2 works, and needs more time."

As a lot of us surmised, the time NL spent (is spending) on the Studio gui and new materials--which are monumentally unimportant to most of us--has essentially prevented them from being able to provide absolutely essential features in v1.0.

I think "progressive" in Mike's statement is a euphemism for "wasted".