Moderator Curiosity

_PopArt

i am a little confused...

so the developers at maxwell are blowing off the user base, telling them their opinions don't matter? ..that in the end, it is only what they think and do that is right?

it just seems odd. even after their blunder, it seems like most of the p[eople that were excited about the project were still standing beside them. i am not a business person, or a marketing person, but i wouldn't want to piss off the user base after i messed up so bad myself. i think in most industries that would spell doom.

..is everyone sticking around, hoping for the second coming of lightscape under a different name?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't visited the MWRforum for a while, so I stopped in just now to see if there was anything new. Nothing new, but the same old deleted thread problems. They have learned nothing.

So I called for a resignation from moderator responsibilities for Big Stone Face. Maybe he'll delete that one, too, but if he does his conversion to the dark side will be complete.

EDIT:

I must be next. I just deleted my own post. I'm becoming Big Stone Tubeguy! I thought I was quoting, but instead I edited and lost my last superb post, replacing it with this banal one.

I called for a resignation from moderator responsibilities for Big Stone Face. Maybe he'll delete that one, too, but if he does his conversion to the dark side will be complete.

Well that was quick. Anyone who wants to save NextLimit from being put out of business should get involved now. I bet more than a few people have had enough and will start proceeding against NL, and it all starts on the MWRforum with posts and threads being deleted. And that seems to be mostly the 'work' of Thomas An. He should not be a moderator anymore. I guess I can email NL about it, but why would that get any action?

Maybe you don't agree that removing Thomas An. as a moderator (to stop the post/thread deleting) is the right thing to do. What is? Waiting some more? That is likely to lead to NL disappearing because of a flood of bank complaints.

Why did I set foot back 'over there'? It's so nice here. I like it here.

Not sure this comment belongs in this post however here goes...

I just visited Maxwell web site and thought it was really cute that we have heard nothing regarding progress towards RC5/final release however they are still managing to update the images on website quite frequently.....someone must be working there or does the website update itself automatically.

I was just over there, about 1pm Madrid time, and, "In total there are 35 users online :: 27 Registered, 5 Hidden and 3 Guests" - NL forum and Thomas An. - btw, Thomas has a period after his last name. Does that give him more oomph to go along with his avatar and attitude or does the period mean his last name is an abbreviation?

Anyway, with 35 visitors, he's locking threads for being "repetitive". The diehard supporters are contradicting themselves and are being advised by fellow diehards not to respond to reasonably phrased, toned and argued responses to their posts because they will be "attacked for no good reason". It has come to that and, IMHO, cute does not fit.

Okay, mea culpa, mea culpa, mea culpa. I know Thomas An. is going to jerk this one, too. Oh? I'm here, not there. Whew! And, it's TGIF and the end to 2005! Yeh!!!

I was just over there, about 1pm Madrid time, and, "In total there are 35 users online :: 27 Registered, 5 Hidden and 3 Guests" - NL forum and Thomas An. - btw, Thomas has a period after his last name. Does that give him more oomph to go along with his avatar and attitude or does the period mean his last name is an abbreviation?

Anyway, with 35 visitors, he's locking threads for being "repetitive". The diehard supporters are contradicting themselves and are being advised by fellow diehards not to respond to reasonably phrased, toned and argued responses to their posts because they will be "attacked for no good reason". It has come to that and, IMHO, cute does not fit.

Okay, mea culpa, mea culpa, mea culpa. I know Thomas An. is going to jerk this one, too. Oh? I'm here, not there. Whew! And, it's TGIF and the end to 2005! Yeh!!!

An. is an abbreviation of his last name, which I can't spell either.

Why don't you lay off those guys? They're good people who are too rational to be polarized by all this BS.

I have created one thread simply asking for a moderation election in Maxwell site. It was deleted twice.

I have posted to victor about this, but i think i cannot do anything on my own. I am not the most respected man in the world to victor you know :)

So may i suggest something.

Can we decide to write an email to victor and everyone who wants can sign it with his full name + forum nickname.

Giving authority to someone like Anagnostou is very dangerous.

If you agree we can write a simple email and sign it.

Buffos....when did they let you back in to the forum?

It's quite apparent that the Maxwell forum is quickly loosing its momentum, every time I check it there are fewer and fewer people online. This is most likely the result of not having anything to really talk about. This also may be why the moderators are deleting everything that even remotely looks bad because there is not much going on and they are getting picky.

I think sending a letter to NL isn't going to do anything; they've basically been ignoring us for months. I've sent several personal e-mails to Maya with virtually no response and no real content in the reply, I suspect that if we did do something like this we would get the same treatment.

Guest imanobody

What's really funny is that they made the whole forum VIP so they could control, in their opinion, the amount of negative posts. Though it was stated by Tom that these people - A: asked the same questions over and over, B: didn't have any information that was relevant to Maxwell, or C: they just wanted to say that their software sucks. Funny how it is that since they got rid of all these people, the negative posts have went through the roof. Now they are deleting posts, and threating members, left and right... and blaming everyone else for it! They say that you only need one post for a negative comment... that is BS! If I didn't know about a product, and I was looking on their forum, the last place I would think about looking is the Off Topic section to find problems with the software. The other thing is - if I only saw one post about a negative aspect of their company, even if it had 30 pages, I probably wouldn't worry about it because it's one post amongst hundreds. But if I saw 50 posts about the same thing, then I would know something is wrong. It's also funny how they never curb the positive posts; those posts even stay in the Maxwell Render forum section.

So what are they going to do now - make a Super VIP group that will only have the people that post positive stuff about Maxwell? But when even those people get tired of their tricks, I guess they'll have to make a Super Duper VIP group that will only have the moderators in it... that seems to be your reward for being a good little fanboy.

It doesn't really matter anyway; anyone that didn't loose their money on this scam can see the writing on the wall. RC5 will be nother more then the Beta attached to the RC GUI and all the fanboys will jump up and down and claim how right they were and how Maxwell is God, but it will only be the Beta! Attach a few things and you've got V1. After seeing how they lied on their page over and over and over and over again, coupled with their Stalinist control of their forum... how in the world can anyone believe that they are even capable to telling the truth? Anyway, after working with Mental Ray's path tracer, I'm being to have second thoughts about NL's claims of Maxwell's "breakthrough" technology.

Why did I ever allow myself to get hooked on this soap opera?:confused:

how in the world can anyone believe that they are even capable to telling the truth? Anyway, after working with Mental Ray's path tracer, I'm being to have second thoughts about NL's claims of Maxwell's "breakthrough" technology.

I would expect their kind of behavior from a green company that has never had a successful product, but they've got Real Flow which by all accounts is very successful. I think part of the problem is the person who is running the show (Victor) either he has absolutely no business since or he is completely scatter brained and runs a very loose ship. What ever the problem is I wouldn’t count on them doing any self correcting, it's pretty evident they've lost total control.

Maxwell's technology isn't anything new as many have pointed out, but taking this methodology and creating an entire rendering engine out of it is a new approach. I believe they can get it to work but the question is how long is it going to take before it does.

Guest imanobody
Maxwell's technology isn't anything new as many have pointed out, but taking this methodology and creating an entire rendering engine out of it is a new approach. I believe they can get it to work but the question is how long is it going to take before it does.

Exactly! I now think that Mental Ray, Renderman, Vray, and the rest, probably know exactly how Maxwell works the concepts that they are using. They just never worried about these features because they figured that no one would be willing to wait 2 days for something to render.

The main thing that turned me on to Maxwell was the concept of setting up your materials really fast and not having to do a million render tests to see if it's right, but that went away when they made Studio... so what is left? You've got the quality, but you can just about get that with the other renderers, just turn on all those fancy features that slow your renderer to a crawl.

And if RC5 is going to be so great... allow me to modify a line from an old Tom Cruise movie:

"Show me the image!"

"Ouch." "Wince." Hello, it's NL.

As over there, I am too disgusted to participate in any of this.

No, I meant the users you were referring to. I didn't mention their names because they are members here also. Sorry for the confusion.

NL can eat my socks for all I care. :p

The Mod Squad is on a rampage over there. Good grief. Tom is in a frenzy of paranoia, dissecting people's posts and giving liberal interpretations of them. I've never seen anything like this in my whole life!

It's such a bad place over there now. Lorded over by jack-booted thugs. But, on the bright side, it gave me a chance to use the term "jack-booted thug".:p

It doesnt bode well for the imminent (?) RC5 release, either. Looking at NL's past approach, if they don't release any pictures or give any concrete information concerning a release, it has almost always meant that they simply can't give out any images or info (because they are so far behind on development)...So perhaps we are witnessing the preparation of an even tougher approach to the 'customers' knowing full well that the next release will stir up an even greater storm...

As i said, two things can be done.

1) An email to NL signed by as many users as possible.

2) A mass legal action.

The second ofcourse will shut NL down. So it will only act as a revenge and nothing more.

Consumers acting together have power. But i guess the word "united" reminds people only of Manchester United :)

I still think an email would solve many of the problems.

I agree...it is a sad, sad state of affairs over there...the forum is not what forums are all about...assisting fellow users and getting assistance, showcasing your work and sharing info associated with our profession. There is room in most forums to even share a joke or two (under the appropriate topic of course), but not over there....is has degenerated into I am not sure what. Its only been a couple of days since there last official communication, but is this the start of another 2 weeks of silence. I certainly hope not.

Excerpt from last official communication 31.12.05

To summarize, we are very confident about a RC5 release next week, including the Windows and Macintosh versions. I will invite the A-Team members to disclose some information about this progress.

Excerpt from last official communication 31.12.05

To summarize, we are very confident about a RC5 release next week, including the Windows and Macintosh versions. I will invite the A-Team members to disclose some information about this progress.

Sorry, but posts over there are getting cancelled so fast - have any 'A-Team'

:p members disclosed any concrete info?

Buffos, I'm starting to think your idea of an e-mail may be a good pro active thing to do at this point. Any ideas on how we would go about collecting these names?
Too easy to ignore/delete, unless it was also openly posted on other more general 3D forums, and that's taking things to an altogether different level.

Look at all the people that openly asked for their money back. NL only admitted to 3 people asking for their money back (which they refused), and then deleted the thread that showed it was over 30% of all those that voted.