Ridiculous new test images

Devin Johnston

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a few things about it that impress me: the blue material would be an excellent car paint if car paint looked like that; the scratched metal is great (I don't think you could do that in beta); and it can use PNG files now. Also, you can now render an 800x600 of one object with 2 walls, a floor and a light source in only 4-8 hours.

Also, as Tom demonstrated, it only takes 7.5 hours to render 4 plastic cups at 800x500. Very promising. (But the water bottle is good and only about 10 times slower than doing the exact same image in mental ray.)

Such sarcasm!

I suppose you would have to wonder who's crazier--Darth Mod for posting them as proof of progress, or us for looking at them and not totally losing it. In his defense I will remind all that he said they were just simple tests and when I test software I do similarly simple things to reduce the variables to a few so you can understand what's going on, and also so they are completed quickly.......oh, well, um...

I have an uneasy feeling about RC5. Mike's test renders look blurry to me. As Devon mentioned, if RC5 was indeed as ready as they said, why not post a redo of the original RC previews? I guess we'll know sooner or later what's really going on.

Such sarcasm!

I suppose you would have to wonder who's crazier--Darth Mod for posting them as proof of progress, or us for looking at them and not totally losing it. In his defense I will remind all that he said they were just simple tests and when I test software I do similarly simple things to reduce the variables to a few so you can understand what's going on, and also so they are completed quickly.......oh, well, um...

Yeeeeeesh, those rendertimes!!! 5-6 hours for a handkerchief ( or is that a glorified flannel?), does not to me, sound like progress. Particularly given the Accurender-ish quality. Or the fact that they are using simple emitters for lighting as opposed to.....um..... sunlight. For that kind of rendertime in such a simple scene there better be multiple Caustics sources, reflective and refractive surfaces, displacement, brilliant blinding fireworks and bullet-time Kung-Fu to boot.

And I'm sorry to say that the multi-layering ( with the scratched sphere) material isn't exactly breakthrough technology. Considering that Vray, Finalrender et al, pull off the same trick while still doing headspins and juggling axes.

But I seriously, can't believe that no one else at the forum seems bothered by those rendertimes. Isn't this supposed to be the most optimized version of the all the RCs, up to this point? Considering that half the promised (and critical) features are going to be missing from version 1.0, are they also saying that there's probably not going to be any speed increases or improvements?

In any case this isn't Darth Bleh's first recorded incident at apparently making a doofus out of himself ( or trying to take us for fools). Does anyone else remember the ridiculous 'toture' games he was playing with users on the Forum just prior to the RC1 release back in Novermber? Telling people that he was busy enjoying himself rendering images as he spoke and that everybody would have a blast when they finally released it at midnight, NL would be vindicated, and all that sweet Jazz. Yeah, that worked out great. To his credit, though, he did stay on the Forum even after that, to deal with the ensuing flame storm and user-venting party and "help" people install it, while the rest of the developers and Beta-testers ran for cover. Seems like he's the designated fall-guy once again. Brother can't catch a break, always with the short straw........

Thanks for the late call, Tim. Get out much?

The real problem is we're all going to end up naked, and no fun will be had.

Sorry, did somebody say that one already? I thought it was being clever... I haven't had much to say about Maxwell since I never purchased it. I see the recent situation as unfortunate, but if I had paid good money and been lied to, I would be screaming too.

Anyways, I have a feeling the guys at Vray are getting ready to sweep up all the disgruntled Maxwell "users". They are working on so many things at the moment it seems like they are spurred on even more by the recent developments of Maxwell (or lack thereof). They are working on Vray for Maya, Rhino, Sketchup, XSI, Vray standalone 64 bit & Linux OS. And in the meantime we have an oustanding version to work with that makes the wait for something better completely acceptable. And as long as Autodesk keeps their grubby hands off it, I will be happy.

Really though, I would be thrilled if Maxwell successfully makes it out of this. I've been excited about it from the beginning and it's a shame to see what is going on now. I'm sure if they don't succeed, there will be somebody willing to pick up the pieces and really make that kind of renderer work. Of course, that won't help you get your money back.

But I seriously, can't believe that no one else at the forum seems bothered by those rendertimes. Isn't this supposed to be the most optimized version of the all the RCs, up to this point? Considering that half the promised (and critical) features are going to be missing from version 1.0, are they also saying that there's probably not going to be any speed increases or improvements?

It would seem that at the maxwell forum they have banned most of the people willing to express their displeasure about what is going on. I've noticed that alot of posters have suddenly dissappeared. Doesn't look good.

It would seem that at the maxwell forum they have banned most of the people willing to express their displeasure about what is going on. I've noticed that alot of posters have suddenly dissappeared. Doesn't look good.

Too true... half have been banned, and everyone else is scared to death to post anything negative for fear of being banned.

Well, if you can't keep your users happy, you can at least keep them from expressing their displeasure on your forum. Great strategy, huh?

Sorry, did somebody say that one already? I thought it was being clever...

Oh, it's very clever. But many of us have said it either directly or by inference. No problem, the more we say it the more some may see the true nature of the situation. And you are just watching the train wreck, we're on the train.

Reading your info about work going into vRay makes me excited, but then I remember to never again trust 'soon you will be amazed' from a software producer. You also didn't mention Cinema4D, so that's troublesome, too.

Back on topic, I can't imagine where we all go from here if 'here' is a hobbled and disappointing RC5. Failure is always an option, and at some point we may just have to call the time-of-death and put a sheet over Maxwell. Maybe it'll all work out, too.

I saw no point in screaming over the 6hour rendertime for Darth Mods rather simplistic tests. Its hard to scream with a numb mind. Its all so weird.

I have to agree with what Tim Nelson said about both Vray and Maxwell. I'm eager to use the sketchup>vray link but the initial price for it has put me off.

I still have hope for maxwell despite the continuing soap opera going on with it.

Ernest, have you looked at finalrender for c4d? I'm not a fan of cebas but they seem to be focusing on the c4d version over max.

Ernest, have you looked at finalrender for c4d? I'm not a fan of cebas but they seem to be focusing on the c4d version over max.

Yes, I've already handed in work done with it, will be doing some sunlit exteriors today or tomorrow with it. I'm very happy with FRstage2/C4D. It lacks the emmitter simplicity and magically accurate look of Maxwell, but its here and it works and it has a physical sky with a sun that can penetrate glass (so does Cinema itself). And my $495 investment gives me 10 buckets for rendering vs. the 4 cores per licence with MWR.

So NextLimit has locked the doors to the asylum?

So NextLimit has locked the doors to the asylum?

No. Guests have never had access to read all the forums. I have a read-only account there too, and I can read everything just fine. You have to be registered and logged in.

... I'm not a fan of cebas but they seem to be focusing on the c4d version over max.

There are two completely seperate teams developing the plugins for C4D and Max. Developing plugins for Max is a little more complex because each new Max-version forces the developers to alter their code too: especially with a complex program like fR which maybe a little bit slower in GI then VRay but has a far better (and more complex) integration with the base program: and then I'm still not talking about the certification program (according to Cebas of course ;))

Wait guys.

First of all i have a non-vip account and i can see everythink in the forum but not post. So something else is wrong. If you have been ip banned simply use a proxy :) No problem for that.

As for pictures. We asked for test images. And we got test images.

They show some stuff, they dont show a mirriad of other stuff. But they said it from the start. Only test images.

I hope we will get Rc5 sometime soon (when soon is not defined by victor but by common sense)

We can then make many beta-rc5 comparisons

Well I'm ready for crazy Maxwell Friday!

My prediction is:

It won't be released, because if it looks like the test images, and god forbid it's unstable, people are going to flip out. *including myself

I think it has that RC look still. I hate it! The only reason I bought MR with it's mind numbing slowness was for the Beta quality. The RC's look like video, and the Beta reminds me of film. Film is warm and beautiful, and video ALWAYS looks like crap.

I really don't want to hear any excuses tomorrow, but I bet we get the same form letter we always do. Followed by Maya's form letter a few days later.

Wait guys.

First of all i have a non-vip account and i can see everythink in the forum but not post. So something else is wrong. If you have been ip banned simply use a proxy :) No problem for that.

As for pictures. We asked for test images. And we got test images.

They show some stuff, they dont show a mirriad of other stuff. But they said it from the start. Only test images.

I hope we will get Rc5 sometime soon (when soon is not defined by victor but by common sense)

We can then make many beta-rc5 comparisons

I guess you can look at it that way but if I were trying to keep the talk to a minimum and trying to instill some confidence in my user base I wouldn’t post this kind of stuff.

Well I'm ready for crazy Maxwell Friday!

My prediction is:

It won't be released, because if it looks like the test images, and god forbid it's unstable, people are going to flip out. *including myself

I think it has that RC look still. I hate it! The only reason I bought MR with it's mind numbing slowness was for the Beta quality. The RC's look like video, and the Beta reminds me of film. Film is warm and beautiful, and video ALWAYS looks like crap.

I really don't want to hear any excuses tomorrow, but I bet we get the same form letter we always do. Followed by Maya's form letter a few days later.

I'd be surprised if we actually see it tomorrow but miracles do happen.

Does maxwell have a demo version? If it doesn't and you've bought a software without the ability to test it or try it out... its your own fault?

I know that vray has a demo version, and a free version as well, brazil has its rio, dunno about other renderers since i dont use them but i like to try everything out before i buy. I can currently judge maxwell only by the breath-taking renders done by people who were already making breath taking renders with other software, and by all the comments i read on public forums...

Does maxwell have a demo version? If it doesn't and you've bought a software without the ability to test it or try it out... its your own fault?

Well....the usability of the software really isn't the problem and isn't what's being debated any longer. We purchased Maxwell with the knowledge that it was an Alpha program still in development; the draw was that within a few months the full version would be out and if we acted quickly we would get a deep discount. That was a year ago and since I purchased it Next Limit has moved their release dates at least 5 times that I can remember.

The issue we are facing right now has nothing to do with being able to use the software; it's whether or not there will even be a Next Limit around to finish the development of it. It all boils down to the stone cold fact that Next Limit has been lying and deceiving it's user base for at least the last year. The software that we purchased is not the software that is being developed today, lie after lie has been told to us, and agreements that we entered in to with the handing over of our money have been broken. Basically the company is on the verge of going under and we are just trying to figure out if there is still any hope that we may eventually get what we paid for.

There was no demo, but the alpha and/or beta version that was in effect when most of us bought seemed to be compelling evidence that the final product would be something worth buying--and not that far away. Unfortunately things took a big dive after the beta, which I don't think anyone anticipated.