Who do both architectura projects and renderings?

Carlocki

i'm purely a cg visualiser who just draws up what the architect gives me. i do not design or participate in the design process.

although saying that, i have enough architectural experience to equal some of my fully trained architect collegues.

you cant excel at both architecture and top grade 3d rendering at the same time imo. you physically dont have the time to put your all into both.

I do both... But i must aggree with Strat, my renderings suffer as

a direct result of time dedicated to each. To be honest I enjoy

rendering more than designing but its a usful tool to have the ability

to design up ideas in 3 dimensions. You really get a good feel

for what your creating.

I do both also but concentrate more on 3d renderings ( the joy of my life:D )...I occasionally do architectural projects here and there which ofcourse increases my income significantly but it's a BIG plus having the skill to render. It gives an edge from the others and works to your advantage.

I wana persue a degree program in architecture or Graphic animations and design but think i'm stuck in the middle as to which one to persue..:rolleyes:

I think both can be done but depends on the project size cause one may suffer a bit in the end cause of the time factor.

i'm purely a cg visualiser who just draws up what the architect gives me. i do not design or participate in the design process.

although saying that, i have enough architectural experience to equal some of my fully trained architect collegues.

you cant excel at both architecture and top grade 3d rendering at the same time imo. you physically dont have the time to put your all into both.

I'm thinking you can organize your architectural studio

you can just manage the idea and can suggest the renderings thechins to a boy that helps you

I do both... But i must aggree with Strat, my renderings suffer as

a direct result of time dedicated to each. To be honest I enjoy

rendering more than designing but its a usful tool to have the ability

to design up ideas in 3 dimensions. You really get a good feel

for what your creating.

Does exist any famous architect that is also famous for his visuzalization?

I'm thinkin about Frank lloyd wright

also renzo piano does beutifull viz bout i think aren't buy his own hand

I'm thinking you can organize your architectural studio

you can just manage the idea and can suggest the renderings thechins to a boy that helps you

yes, but you're missing the point of your own question then. if i get peeps to do it for me that means i'm not doing it myself ;)

i think there are a lot of people that are "stuck in the middle". having the ability to do 3d work increases your value as a drafter to an arch firm. but at some point i feel you will be forced to choose one or the other. especially seeing how typically as you climb the ladder of an architectural firm, you will be doing less formal drafting. on the other hand, if you begin to do strictly arch vis, you lose some of the architectural design aspects. the business forces you to decide.

I agree with Mike. I've been an Architect Level 1 for the past 2 years. I can produce renderings (nothing that would hold a candle to the level of the work here) but i mainly work as a designer and as a project manager. It's a boost to the employer to know you can 'swing both ways' when need be. For the majority of my client-base and work, they would rather have the finished documents than to shell out a couple grand for a pretty picture that they are going to show their buddies or display in their vestibule when the project is finished. But in response to the original question, it depends on how you started out...3d designers(depending on complexity of the design) should have a good understanding of architectural concepts and construction techniques. Although not necessary, it adds more realism, common sense, and a feeling of completeness. Architects need to know 3d, simply because 90% of the general population doesn't know how to read, but interpret 2D drawings, they need to know how to win their clients approval by showing them what it'll look like when it's finished. I'm rambling, hope this helps.

We do both. I've been practicing architecture for almost 40 years and have done a lot of freehand drawings and a few watercolor renderings, skills that come (easier) if one has a bit of natural talent along that line, but not something that comes overnight....takes years of working at it. CG is not much different in that sense, just got to keep at it, day after day, year after year. I've been intrigued with the CG possibilities for over 15 years and have only the last 2 or 3 years started doing computer generated renderings for our clients. We're a very small (2 man) office, so that makes it easier to keep the number of jobs where we want and provide a full service. I don't like to let the renderings go to outside sources as I make design and material/color changes as we're working on the visualizations. Since I've worked conceptually in 2D mode for so long, I'm often surprised how well something looks in 3D...it's a confirmation that the skills to see conceptually in 3D really works. Besides that, I concur with others that this is a lot of fun :D :D :D , even for an "older" fellow like myself :D . Re: FLW, I never cared for his architecture or his attitude, but his presentation drawings were great IMO.

Does exist any famous architect that is also famous for his visuzalization?

I'm thinkin about Frank lloyd wright

also renzo piano does beutifull viz bout i think aren't buy his own hand

You're Italian and you missed Aldo Rossi and Carlo Scarpa? Aooowww!

I also do both. work as project architect during the day and I try to build my rendering skills in the evenings. i love doing both, but its difficult because they are both crafts that take years to master. ive been able to do a decent job by streamlining the pipeline. if youre using drafting, modeling, and rendering software that compliment each other youre in good shape, because you can use one model for pretty much everything.

I think that you can do both really well. Alot of Architects are artists. 3D rendering is definately an art, though it may not seem so when the pressure is on to finish the job.

wasn't Michael Graves somewhat well known for his renderings?

if youre using drafting, modeling, and rendering software that compliment each other youre in good shape, because you can use one model for pretty much everything....I think that you can do both really well. Alot of Architects are artists....quote]

Are you using Archicad?

It was interesting to learn that most of the earliest Italian architects were accomplished artists (painters, sculptors) first....their delineation skills made it possible for them to express their building designs.

yes. Archicad and Cinema 4D.

Then you would probably know Angie and Josh:)

I just recently switched to Archicad after years of using Autocad...good move. Still using FormZ for my presentation work but frustrated w/their render engine (although their tech support is the best ever), am considering switching to C4D...will have to see, FZ says that another render engine plug-in is in the works, either Mental Ray or possibly Vray...Maxwell is there and works but is not suitable for animations. What render engine do you use w/C4D?

Then you would probably know Angie and Josh:)

I just recently switched to Archicad after years of using Autocad...good move. Still using FormZ for my presentation work but frustrated w/their render engine (although their tech support is the best ever), am considering switching to C4D...will have to see, FZ says that another render engine plug-in is in the works, either Mental Ray or possibly Vray...Maxwell is there and works but is not suitable for animations. What render engine do you use w/C4D?

Yes I know them. will see them again next week at a release party for Archicad10. I think C4D works very well with Archicad and is easy to learn. you should try the demo. as far as rendering engines go, what i use the most is the Archicad sketch renderer and Advanced Render 2. i have maxwell and final render 2, but i havent got the hang of FR2 yet, and maxwell, with all its potential, is still unusable for production. neither engine supports the C4D sky generator or can render RPCs, so Advanced Render, C4Ds native renderer, is still the main engine of choice.

The plugin you mention thats under development is in fact Vray.

http://www.vrayforc4d.com

Yes I know them. will see them again next week at a release party for Archicad10. I think C4D works very well with Archicad and is easy to learn. you should try the demo. as far as rendering engines go, what i use the most is the Archicad sketch renderer and Advanced Render 2. i have maxwell and final render 2, but i havent got the hang of FR2 yet, and maxwell, with all its potential, is still unusable for production. neither engine supports the C4D sky generator or can render RPCs, so Advanced Render, C4Ds native renderer, is still the main engine of choice.

The plugin you mention thats under development is in fact Vray.

http://www.vrayforc4d.com

Thought you might know them, being in Atlanta...fine people. I really do want to try the C4D demo...just totally swamped right now..working late into the nights. Good thing I enjoy this :eek: . I've heard good things about C4D Advanced Render, although costs a significant amount more than C4D Basic. I'm aware of the upcoming Vray plug-in for C4D, but don't know if it's in the works for FormZ...I've heard thru the grapevine that it's Mental Ray. Autodessys is keeping mum on this for now.

You're Italian and you missed Aldo Rossi and Carlo Scarpa? Aooowww!

I'm really really Sorry!!!

I LOVE Carlo SCARPA he wasn't graduate but i think he was more architect than 80% of italian graduate architect

Aldo Rossi was a great penciler and his water color are great

about HIS architecture ----postmodernism is full of contradiction

I could care less what kind of degree he received. Scarpa was one of the most brilliant and responsive architects of the 20th century.

Jack

Yes I think so

In my life i visit both Wright and Scarpa's site

I have to admit that scarpa detail are more deeply thought

but we have to admit there are many years of difference from one's art to the other

Yes I think so

In my life i visit both Wright and Scarpa's site

I have to admit that scarpa detail are more deeply thought

but we have to admit there are many years of difference from one's art to the other

Neither Wright nor Scarpa were graduate architects. Wright never attended a university and honed his early design skills as an apprentice - which was the normal way to do it then - and Scarpa pretty much trained himself. Kind of makes you wonder why the modern architectural industry puts so much emphasis and value on degrees, titles, honours, medals etc etc etc.....

But then again, Scarpa could write and draw equally well with both right and left hands and Frank Lloyd Wright only designed the most famous Residence of the 20th Century in 2 hours flat.

Soooo.....I guess maybe someone figured that we mere mortals need that extra education to measure up.

Hello All, This is a great questions. I am currently designing and producing 3d renderings. I do find that the level of detail in the end image is not the quality of this site, however at work we are using 3d Auto cad wire frames that can be updated easily in the early skematic phase and then we use and then we use Autodesk Viz 2005 in the pre construction documents phase for fianl presentations (usually to convince the client not to Value engineer special feature areas). I totally agree that 90% of the people cannot think in 3d (including some architects and designers). I do find that the level of design is allot better when using 3d software to design. The trouble i do have is that some higher ups want the preoffesional quality 3 days before the deadline. I just finished a Medsurge fly thru that i had to render without radiosity just to get it our in time. Anyhow with future BIM (building information model) software we will have an edge on everyone else.