Beta vs V1.0

Adehus

That is exactly the scene at the Finalrender/C4D forum. So we get Stage2 while the hapless Max people are just getting Stage1 SP...3? Anyway, the engine has just enough problem to not be all that useful. It's great...almost great. But there's not really any anger. The forum is like a mausoleum. At least the MWR forum may still have some spirit. It is alledged.

But the 'angry' were all banned. Who's left to be angry?

I am close to cancelling my fR2/Mac order and will hold out for VrayforC4D. I gather Vray has, heretofore, proven to generate better quality (in the hands of appropriate talent) then fR. If I can get more proof of that, Cebas is out until...

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am close to cancelling my fR2/Mac order and will hold out for VrayforC4D. I gather Vray has, heretofore, proven to generate better quality (in the hands of appropriate talent) then fR. If I can get more proof of that, Cebas is out until...

I think fr2 is (almost) quite good. It seems to have most of the same stuff that vray has, though I haven't used vray yet. But Cebas has obviously hit a big rock in the road, especially with the Mac version. I'm going to try out vray soon to see if I can make a better comparison.

Ernest I wish that Cebas would come out with a Stage 2 for Max, we seem to be stuck in the service pack time warp. Vray is the next step for me, it's almost like the default render engine for most people. I haven't seen any animations done with it, does anyone have any examples of Vray architectural animation work?

I'm sick of messing around with Maxwell and the fact that NL won't acknowledge that there is a problem with V1 just makes me sicker. Mihai and Maximus and all the other Maxwell supporters either don't see the problem or won't see it. I guess we will see what the next update will bring but I highly doubt anything they do is going to change the image quality.

I never said i don't see any problems, all i said was that i don't care as í have far bigger problems to worry about than any piece of software.

/ Max

Yeah, bigger problems, like responding to everyone who does see problems in your beloved piece of software ;)

Seriously, Max, give it up!

Incorrect Adehus, all that is in your head. The big problem is to have food on my table each day which i haven't got now and a place to live and the ability to pay bills and rent. Anything else beyond that is just nonsense.

You may not like this reply as i disagree with you but this is the truth :(

/ Max

I never said i don't see any problems, all i said was that i don't care as í have far bigger problems to worry about than any piece of software.

/ Max

I'm really at a loss for words with what you have said, you admit there are problems, but you don't care. I don't think I believe you because if you didn't care you wouldn’t spend so much time defending Maxwell. This software isn't my whole life either but I do use it and I want it to work properly, that doesn’t mean I'm obsessed it just means I want what I was promised.

Max, I've got no way or reason to disagree with you... I've heard this before from you, and if you say it's so then so it is.

Nonetheless, I'm pretty sure that your posts here aren't figments of my imagination. I'd agree- you have bigger things to worry about than NL/Maxwell, etc... and I'd simply suggest you extract yourself from your computer long enough to address them.

Andrew: Just what i'm trying to do, productive stuff inbetween jumping in here and having a fun chat with you people to see how you react to what's being said. The chats here are just for pure entertainment.

Devin: Sure i know there are problems, but as i said i don't care and there's no need for me to highlight them even more when everybody else does it and when NL are aware of them already. There you go, it's said now, happy ? :)

Now i should say this as a sidenote, with all the licenses you hold Devin i can understand both your frustration and part of your anger. But not everything. I do however agree with selected parts of it.

[Edit] : Andrew again, yes you're aware of the financial issues which i have and i'm not proud to have to mention them or have them but that's life. It sucks. However i'm everyday trying to find jobs both online and offline, any jobs. Now i got one freelance gig i'm working on but it's gonna take a while until money starts dripping in from that so it's a few rough weeks ahead.

Thanks

/ Max

Thanks Lorenzo, photography is both fun and creative so it's a part time hobby and it helps also when doing 3d :) it's a great way to get away from the computer and get outdoors.

But honestly, i'm still only a newbie photographer. All of those photos you see are just experimental shots. But it's a learningprocess like 3d so eventually it'll get better.

/ Max

I haven't seen any animations done with it, does anyone have any examples of Vray architectural animation work?

NeoScape uses it, so any animation work you've seen of theirs is vRay. There are some examples on their site. They do really good work, they won the 3D Awards last year for both still and animation with vRay. I was just in NYC at an exhibit of ASAI work, and the NeoScape interior was there, it holds up nicely to the other pieces. They also sent in the BIGGEST print. Really big print.

I don't know if vray is the best, or the least trouble to use (another render friend swears by Brazil as being bullet-proof for animation) but it is becoming quite the standard. So it's worth at least checking out.

I haven't seen any animations done with it, does anyone have any examples of Vray architectural animation work?

www.loft5vegas.com

The video for this condo complex is great. I don't know who did it, but it's done in vRay.

All great questions to which I have no answer. Lately, I've been seriously considering moving to vRay, but I'm just a poorly paid intern and can't shell out the dough. I have the Demo and Free version, but haven't used them much.

How hard is vRay to learn and use?

Vray is very easy to use. It takes a while to learn however. You can start vray render a scene using the default settings and it will work (maybe) It takes while to be able to really run with it problem solve and not loose your mind. Again Mr Nichols did a good job introducing the feature set of vray to the world.

I am pretty sure that animation was Neoscape entry last year (that won) for the bad ass illustrator of the year award.

DeeSee: That Loft5 video is by Neoscape, I'm pretty sure it's the animation that won the contest Ernest mentioned. The still image of theirs that won was a cafe interior, also Vray.

But remember, the biggest reason their stuff is so good is that they have incredibly talented people. You can't be any geek off the street, you gotta be quick with the steel if you know what I mean.

Max: I hope things pick up, sorry if I came off as confrontational. But really, don't you get sick of spending so much time arguing about Maxwell? (Same for you others, you know who you are.)

That is a very sweet animation. I always wonder on projects like that how many people worked on it and how long it took to render out. It's also pretty clear that who ever created it is a master of Vray, I wonder how long they have been working with it?

Anyone else reading this thread is having a good laugh right about now.

THAT is Neoscape.

THAT is what I was talking about.

THAT piece was the 3D Awards animation winner last year.

This is probably silly but I am wanting to get a better idea of where I should turn for a renderer to work with C4D/Mac. And, since this thread has included Vray and fR, perhaps I can glean some opinions to help with my decision.

So, in experienced and talented hands, it is probably safe to say fR and Vray are equal in terms of render quality. Yes? If MWR beta renders are say a +5, on a scale of -5 to +5, where the "cg look"=-5 and "physically real"=+5, what would fR and Vray score? On a scale of 1-10, for difficulty of use, where would MWR, fR and Vray score?

If there is a better way to measure these things, we are wide open to suggestions.

My opinino is that vray is the best option out there. IF you do render calculations using the light cache with quasi montecarlo sampling which is very easy to set up, there is not irradiance caching so just like with maxwell no splotches due to gi shortcuts, and the quality is very high, even though its bit slow. With the distributed render you can speed things up alot. Have you ever seen any of zuliban's work with vray? it can make you forget maxwell in a hurry:)

For the Mac....C4D..... I'm coming up blank.

Hope the Maxon revamps AR so that it's in the league of fr2 and vray. Other than that, get a PC.

I actually feel the same way about C4D on a PC. There is no viable option for the quality of output I want. C4D is fantastic--except for output (which is how I earn a living), so it's almost. fr2 is almost great and usable, vray/C4D is almost ready for later this year... Maxwell is mostly useless to me.

So where does that leave me? Putting on the black helmet without adequate ventilation.

This is probably silly but I am wanting to get a better idea of where I should turn for a renderer to work with C4D/Mac. And, since this thread has included Vray and fR, perhaps I can glean some opinions to help with my decision.

So, in experienced and talented hands, it is probably safe to say fR and Vray are equal in terms of render quality. Yes? If MWR beta renders are say a +5, on a scale of -5 to +5, where the "cg look"=-5 and "physically real"=+5, what would fR and Vray score? On a scale of 1-10, for difficulty of use, where would MWR, fR and Vray score?

If there is a better way to measure these things, we are wide open to suggestions.

I don't really like the numbering system - I've seen good and bad work done with all of these, it's certainly possible to do amazing stuff with any of them and then other factors come into play. Maxwell Beta was easier than other software to get good results with, 1.0 is harder - if you put it in terms of a realism / amount of work ratio, Maxwell Beta would score high, then Vray, then fR (I'm sure others could disagree with which order those two should go in) then Maxwell 1.0.

Being on C4D for Mac makes it harder for you since there are currently fewer options. Vray and fR2 are in the works for that platform, but the timeline is unknown, so if I were making that decision I'd probably stick with AR2 for now and hold out for better options.

Have you ever seen any of zuliban's work with vray? it can make you forget maxwell in a hurry:)

Zuliban? Yes, I have and very nice work with lighting, details and modeling (in that order) being the best.

What I am looking for is a convincing reason *not* to can my order for fR/C4D. I am definitely leaning toward Vray. fR/C4D/Mac is late and little word from Cebas and the Windows v. is buggy which could mean the Mac v. will be buggy, too. The Gallery has lots of good looking examples and the R-times are impressive.

I have applied to the pre-order list for VrayForC4D and feel very positive due to the guys working on the bridge and the quality potential with Vray. I'm in that typical situation of needing to select between the two now yet, knowing I can order the other at a later date.