Whats in the New version of 3dsmax?

visions

You would have to wait till SIGGRAPH to find out. That's when Autodesk announces the next version of max to public. At this time only the Beta testers know what will be coming in the next version but they are all under NDA so they won't share any info.

well...thanks for the heads up.

couldnt find any info on the inquirer site...visit it almost daily.

i am just happy to hear that its going to be 64 bit.

Thanks

Vivek

uhh, I didn't really say that -my post was pure BS. I'm guessing there will be 64-bit support, but I don't think pure 64-bit will pop up until Max 10 or 11. As far as the Inquirer goes, they never sign NDAs, so you find out lots of things about upcoming products, but not usually at the application level below OS. I'm surprised that nothing has leaked about Max9 -of course it's because we 3d guys have extraordinary integrity :)

I might be wrong, but

Don't 3d apps have a 5 year period untill the next big change. 3ds max 6, 7, & 8 are built from 5 with very few significant changes, mostly just plugins incorporated into the program, when was max 5 released??

uhh, I didn't really say that -my post was pure BS. I'm guessing there will be 64-bit support, but I don't think pure 64-bit will pop up until Max 10 or 11. As far as the Inquirer goes, they never sign NDAs, so you find out lots of things about upcoming products, but not usually at the application level below OS. I'm surprised that nothing has leaked about Max9 -of course it's because we 3d guys have extraordinary integrity :)

I'm hopeful a PURE 64 bit version of max is on the horizon but what exactly do you mean by "64bit support"... ?

thanks

i thought they'd demo'ed a 64-bit version at last Siggraph - with 64-bit memory management and IA64 support, at least in the interface, and they showed it dealing gracefully with some ridiculously high poly scene in the editor. I'd figured that would be in Max 9.

i thought they'd demo'ed a 64-bit version at last Siggraph - with 64-bit memory management and IA64 support, at least in the interface, and they showed it dealing gracefully with some ridiculously high poly scene in the editor. I'd figured that would be in Max 9.

let's hope so! I've been waiting for a good reason (or feature) to upgrade and i'm all about rediculously high poly counts:p

Follow this link to download the tech specs of max 8, details on new features are in it:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=5659302

This link has video tutorials on new version 8 features:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=5903856

It is pretty late to ask about new features of version 8 though as version 9 is on its way.

From an arch viz point of view

you could buy 3d studio max 5 and there would be very litle difference butween v5 and v8 lets be honest.

I hope they make some big changes soon.

it's a great package but there has been nothin to blow my hair mack in a long time .

phil

We just got five new Opteron-based machines online and are facing a hefty subscription renewal fee come September. If it wasn't for the file version obsolecense issues, which will only be overcome when Autodesk finally is slapped with an anti-trust suit, a 64-bit version is the only thing any of us really, really need.

And unfortunately I wouldn't be surprised if Autodesk milks that need for at least two, if not three versions.

Shaun

From an arch viz point of view

you could buy 3d studio max 5 and there would be very litle difference butween v5 and v8 lets be honest.

I hope they make some big changes soon.

it's a great package but there has been nothin to blow my hair mack in a long time .

phil

Oh I don't know, there are alot of features in 8 that I still wonder how I got by without in 7, let alone 5

JHV

may be i am wrong, and not using it properly.......... but can you give a list that you would use in your everyday arch viz job.

phil

Off the top of my head

Sweep

AO

MetalRay3.4

Renderable Spline as rectangle

File Link Manager

Pelt Unwrapping

Particle Flow

Polar/Ortho snap modes

Layers

Array

Rename

Isolate Tool that works

Scene states

I could go on but whats the use, you keep on using Max5 if it works for you I am looking forward to Max9

Just thought of some more

Bridge and connect with pinch and slide

Shell

Turbo smooth

Make Planar in sub-object mode

Hindge alone edge

Extrude face along path

ETC ETC ETC

JHV

Off the top of my head

Sweep

AO

MetalRay3.4

Renderable Spline as rectangle

File Link Manager

Pelt Unwrapping

Particle Flow

Polar/Ortho snap modes

Layers

Array

Rename

Isolate Tool that works

Scene states

I could go on but whats the use, you keep on using Max5 if it works for you I am looking forward to Max9

Just thought of some more

Bridge and connect with pinch and slide

Shell

Turbo smooth

Make Planar in sub-object mode

Hindge alone edge

Extrude face along path

ETC ETC ETC

JHV

Justing, dont even bother upgrading, this are all in max8 is not most... lol

You guys want to know what I really want in 3d modeling package IE MAX? I want to more precise modeling - CAD based / Revit like feel to it. - or rather more inventor like when it comes to sketch driven modeling with good precission which is important in a way. I can not stand to model loosely if its not "organic" ya know?

Sorry Cesar but you have lost me, I am on Max8 I am doing a comparison between Max5 and 8

As to accuracy, it is only really useful if you are going to document off your model. I get all the accuracey I need in ADT if I am going down that route. Otherwise its really down to good modeling practice.

I do think that the floating point accuracey needs improving though.

JHV

well have you ever used Revit?

revit uses "sketches" just like inventor for the basis of building a model. These 2D sketches can be drawng accurate in a CAD like fassion as opposed the spline tool in Max. And I guess for myself being used to modeling in Revit and ADT which is CAD based (and I would love to learn inventor someday) I feel that modeling with or from a 2D spline (to make a Cornice or molding for example) could be a lot easier than is it now. - I mean as of today most people use 2D lines from ACAD to model items like that. Wouldn't it be neat to be able to create them just as easy inside max?

(I am sorry Im really having a hard time explaining myself today)

and yes the Floating Point accuracy would help.

and as far as box modeling (which I am trying to learn better) - I don't know if maybe i need to customize my context menus or what, but modos interface just for modeling or something like that would we nead in max...

Isn't that the glory of a customisable interface? Just a bugger that you have to redo it everytime there is an update.

I do agree that modeling architectural stuff in Revit/ ADT is easier from the point of changes to the model are more intuitive and easier with parametric modellers. I love curtain walls and other parametric modelling in ADT, thats the type of thing I would love to see improved in Max. As far as accuracy of modelling goes, I have come across as many badly modelled/ inaccurate models from ADT and more in Revit than I have in Max. To me anything more accurate than 1mm is more than enough. Although getting verticies to snap exactly has been a issue since year dot.

I find that things like cornices and small intricate details like that are easier to do in Max. There are some things ,eg windows, that I have developed a Max Macro to do for me, make it easy to make changes and be efficient in poly count. Saves alot of time and clicks.

I have gone from modeling totaly in Max to modeling in Microstation - rendering in Max to now modeling in ADT and rendering in Max. The two best methodes I have found are the first and last.

JHV