SketchUp/Photoshop Renderings

bwsumruld

I've noticed that many people have different techniques for SketchUp renderings and I thought I would share some that I had recently done in SU5 and Photoshop. It’s a simple process where I take 3 different shots from SU and compile them into a single image in Photoshop erasing bits and pieces until I get the desired effect. I'm looking forward to using SU6 with its new styles to really enhance the look! Any C+C encouraged.:)

Thanks,

b. Sumruld

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dennis from the sketchup forums came up with this techniqe 2 years ago...your technique is suspiciously familiar.

I love when people think they operate and create inside a bubble. Dude, give credit when credit is due.

Thank Dennis, just like the hundreds of others, for his open sharing of this great technique.

http://forum.sketchup.com/showthread.php?t=47101&highlight=technique

Dennis from the sketchup forums came up with this techniqe 2 years ago...your technique is suspiciously familiar.

I love when people think they operate and create inside a bubble. Dude, give credit when credit is due.

Thank Dennis, just like the hundreds of others, for his open sharing of this great technique.

http://forum.sketchup.com/showthread.php?t=47101&highlight=technique

Be fair here - it's not a direct copy by any means and Photoshop duplicate-and-erase techniques are nothing new. The basic idea of taking multiple layers with different objects or effects and controling the blending is something most CG artists do and have been doing for years - it's compositing, but for Sketchup.

This is a tutorial for taking a picture.

Turn your camera on. Look through the viewfinder (don't forget to take the lense cap off...) and frame your shot. When ready, slowly press the shutter release button.

Dang - did someone figure this out already? Hmm, guess I better not post this on a public forum or someone might think I stole the technique... It sucks being helpful.

I realize I should perhaps clarify-

The tutorial here does not, IMO, seem to be a copy, but an independent (and helpful) synthesis of ideas that have been around for a while. It's like a thread recently on sketch renders where it turned out that a few different people had been combining toon shaders with AO - and none of them were copies. I don't think any of us felt that we should figure out who had done it first and then always give credit when talking about it.

I totally agree Andrew - with your last and previous posts. I heard a long time ago that there is nothing new in art - just adaptations of other's work. To a point - I agree. We all have seen other works that inspire our own. We've all done a technique to an image to make it our own - but is it really our own? I mean - to use Photoshop, you most likely have gone through tutorials and learned something from someone else that has been applied to that image. Just because someone copied ideas and techniques from others doesn't mean they necessarily stole the technique and deserve to be called out on a public forum. I learned a lot from the WOW books - maybe I should credit them anytime I post post processing techniques relating to Photoshop so Brownie doesn't look up 2 year old posts and call me out about something.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...