List of the Top Arch Viz Studios and Individuals

Jeff Mottle

wow http://www.hoppearchitektura.pl are amazing,some of the best internals Iv seen

Pretty amazing, alright. Can they do exteriors? The work shows a masterful control of a narrow saturation range. It shows color by showing almost none at all. Really skillful. About the only issue I would have is some obvious tiling of carpet textures.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard a great bit of commentery on the radio recently, two presenters commentating at a BMX competition, "A double back flip, WWWWOOOOWWW, I think I need a new pair of jeans right now"

well I think I need a new pair as well after I saw those, some of the best DOF work I have ever seen.

JHV

Those 'Forest Refuge' Images are the best externals I have ever seen by a long way, stunning.

When I look at a lot of the websites that have been posted the majority of the best images are all montages, simply hiring the best photographer to take a stunning photo and then paste the building in, very effective but not that difficult.

The images above are truly a step up all done in 3D, amazing foilage, speechless.

That was a great link! I had a very hard time trying to decide if they're photos or renderings. Most look like photos, but my conclusion is they're renderings. This one has the tell-tale noise from low subdivisions in glossy reflections - http://www.hoppearchitektura.pl/architektura_wnetrz/projekt_03/projekty5.html

Their style is fantastic.

what a real nice work & style there!!

I wanted to compile a list of the top visualization companies and individuals in the industry based on what the industry perceives as la creme de la creme (best of the best).

This is an amazing collection of studios. It's amazing how the quality of work in our industry has evolved over the last few years. All of the ones that I think are the best are listed here so I won't repeat them.

As we all know too well, clients do not always select a studio just based on quality. Many times they can't even tell the difference :) They sometimes place a higher priority on speed and cost. From a business standpoint studios need to balance many factors in order to deliver what the client wants. After all, we are in a service industry.

Anyway, I have been interested for a while in seeing a list of studios based on market share, size, and total revenue. Maybe this isn't the right thread to mention this, but what the heck :)

Here is a list of the top 3D firms based on total revenue. This data is from Hoovers.com (No, not Hooters).

CrystalCG (Beijing) $7.1 Million (I bet it's a lot more since they have 1,500 employees. I calculate at least about $45 Million)

Neoscape - $7.1 Million

Alpha-Vision - $6.6 Million

Focus 360 - $5.2 Million

Spine3D - $5 Million (Not listed in Hoovers, but I would be a hypocrite for not disclosing)

Hayes Davidson - $4.1 Million

The Seventh Art - $2.3 Million

Renderings.com - $1 Million (Owned by G&G Advertising - $16.8 Million)

These numbers might be outdated for 2007. Also, I bet that there are a few more studios that should be on this list. Unfortunately, I have now way of knowing. Maybe Jeff can squeeze it out of them :)

As we all know too well, clients do not always select a studio just based on quality. Many times they can't even tell the difference :) They sometimes place a higher priority on speed and cost.

That is a very good point. Usually renderings and animation are means to an end, not the end product. The client needs them to get something bigger done, and the longer it takes the more it costs them. Speed of delivery can be a critical. And that is where a company like mine (which is just me plus occasional project partners or freelancers) loses out to larger studios. I don't get many complaints from clients over quality, but I do hear often enough about concerns over delivery times. Congratulations, then, to those studios who have built larger production forces. It takes a lot of investment and risk to get there, so enjoy the well-earned rewards as they come in.

This is an amazing collection of studios. It's amazing how the quality of work in our industry has evolved over the last few years. All of the ones that I think are the best are listed here so I won't repeat them.

As we all know too well, clients do not always select a studio just based on quality. Many times they can't even tell the difference :) They sometimes place a higher priority on speed and cost. From a business standpoint studios need to balance many factors in order to deliver what the client wants. After all, we are in a service industry.

Anyway, I have been interested for a while in seeing a list of studios based on market share, size, and total revenue. Maybe this isn't the right thread to mention this, but what the heck :)

Here is a list of the top 3D firms based on total revenue. This data is from Hoovers.com (No, not Hooters).

CrystalCG (Beijing) $7.1 Million (I bet it's a lot more since they have 1,500 employees. I calculate at least about $45 Million)

Neoscape - $7.1 Million

Alpha-Vision - $6.6 Million

Focus 360 - $5.2 Million

Spine3D - $5 Million (Not listed in Hoovers, but I would be a hypocrite for not disclosing)

Hayes Davidson - $4.1 Million

The Seventh Art - $2.3 Million

Renderings.com - $1 Million (Owned by G&G Advertising - $16.8 Million)

These numbers might be outdated for 2007. Also, I bet that there are a few more studios that should be on this list. Unfortunately, I have now way of knowing. Maybe Jeff can squeeze it out of them :)

Keep in mind those numbers from Hoovers are usually annual sales and not actual revenue in many cases. in many cases, 5 mil in sales can be 10+ in revenue

Keep in mind those numbers from Hoovers are usually annual sales and not actual revenue in many cases. in many cases, 5 mil in sales can be 10+ in revenue

I agree that their actual revenues might be higher for 2007. But, unless I'm doing something wrong, I think the revenues (Money in the Bank) is usually a lit lower than the sales. Keep in mind, that many of us have clients that take forever to pay.

Eddie-

To me, it seems like hitting 5 million in revenue is an unbelievable amount. So if you don't mind me asking, how do you get to that number--is it the amount of work that you guys produce, or the amount that you charge for your work?You obviously don't have to get into specifics about what you charge, I'm just curious.

how do you get to that number--is it the amount of work that you guys produce, or the amount that you charge for your work?

Chad,

It took us 3 years to turn our operation from $60k per year (freelance) to a $5 Million company. The only way you can do this is to be extremely aggressive and never say "no" to any client. Your pricing has to competitive and you must deliver what you promise. Repeat business and word of mouth is critical. You also need an excellent production team that's hitting on all cylinders. Some people have called us "mental". We are just curious to see how far we can push a "pure-play" 3d company. Other companies have diversified into advertising in order to raise revenue. This is perfectly fine, but I personally think that it waters down the architectural focus of the team.

Regarding pricing, I have heard of industry fees for renderings ranging from $250 to $10,000 each. Our fees average somewhere in the middle.

Remember, you provide your client a professional "service". Not just a final product. Good clients will value and pay for the quality of attention and service you give them. So, don't ever hesitate to charge what you believe you are worth. Just don't over do it or you will start losing clients.

By the way, I just saw your demo reel. Very nice. Congrats!

The Numbers in Hoovers are gross numbers, which I believe come from tax returns. These numbers are MUCH higher than $ in the bank. Eddie hit the nail on the head when he said that many clients take a long time to pay, the overall health of a company is much more than these numbers. Burn rate, depreciation, costs associated with growth, accounts receivable can all weigh things down, not to mention when a client goes belly up.

These numbers are all to be taken for what they are, gross numbers, one company may have 10 mil in overall revenue, but still loose money, another may have done 2 mil gross and have 50% profit. In that case company A is living with Debt and company B has a million dollars in the bank.

The other thing to be wary of these numbers is that with the Real estate market in the US the way it is, how much risk is associated with the companies that have a burn rate associated with these numbers.

My 2¢

-Nils

These numbers are all to be taken for what they are, gross numbers, one company may have 10 mil in overall revenue, but still loose money, another may have done 2 mil gross and have 50% profit. In that case company A is living with Debt and company B has a million dollars in the bank.

The other thing to be wary of these numbers is that with the Real estate market in the US the way it is, how much risk is associated with the companies that have a burn rate associated with these numbers.

Very true! Profitability is more important than anything else and it needs to outweigh the headaches. I think size is also important in a new and fluctuating industry like Arch Viz. For example, if I was a freelancer working in Miami right now I would be in big trouble. Fortunately, we have a diversified client base outside of Florida and outside of the residential market. It's no guarantee that we will do well in 2008, but our size is helping us in this case.

Regarding risk and burn rate, I hear you. It's going to be a hard year and there will be some folks that will end up closing shop or downsizing. I hate to say this, but I see a silver lining. As a result of the market collapse the remaining companies will be in a better position for when things turn around in a couple of years.

This thread is starting to evolve into something different. Maybe we should start a new one for artists to exchange ideas about business and the market realities.

This thread is starting to evolve into something different. Maybe we should start a new one for artists to exchange ideas about business and the market realities.

Just when it's starting to get interesting?

There is rendering and there is business. I think I am much better at one than the other. That has usually been the case, and it has been the solace of those of us who have worked on our own for decades--that the companies that were making fistfuls of money were churning out mediocre work. Well now we have a growing number of firms who can be big and good at the same time. 2008 is going to be an interesting year for this industry.

2008 is going to be an interesting year for this industry.

That's right. It will be very interesting. But, it doesn't have to be difficult for everyone. Part of our problem as an industry is that we don't have any experts that share their insight about what's going on and where the best work might be located and which are the best clients to target. For example, if you look at the latest Advertising Age magazine it lists all the stats of their industry, who the big players are, their revenues, their biggest accounts, which companies spend the most on advertising, and what they spend it on.

Any information that we can get will greatly help us. At this point, we are all just guessing about what's happening and what we need to do if things get really bad. I understand that some markets are still thriving while others are sinking. In the US it seems North Carolina and New York are good. Internationally it's Dubai that is still booming.

One important thing that I have learned (and it's what allows freelancers to do well) is that clients prefer their 3d vendors to be near them. They love the hand holding and white glove treatment. I can't blame them because I know they want things to be done right the first time.

So, here is a question that I would like to ask. What should a 3d artist/Company do if their local market is drying up or if they want to grow their business larger than their market can support? Do they team up with someone in a better market? Do they open another office? Do they move to a better location? Do they change their business model? Do they target clients outside of AEC? If so, which markets?

So, here is a question that I would like to ask. What should a 3d artist/Company do if their local market is drying up or if they want to grow their business larger than their market can support? Do they team up with someone in a better market? Do they open another office? Do they move to a better location? Do they change their business model? Do they target clients outside of AEC? If so, which markets?

Great questions. I guess it may be clearer if you have an effective marketing model that works. I still have trouble with that.

My thoughts are that the residential market has little life in it and will be pretty stagnant for a few years. Here the market is so saturated with homes. We know people who bought a home and 1 year later it was 100k less in value. Anyway the rest of the market should be fine but the banks are hard hit as well so lending can be tough. The local apartment market seems to be booming again which is a good sign. I do imagine in the next few months someone will officially call this a recession and then we...? start over I guess.

There is still a lot of building going on here (Sacramento) but I have a feeling most of it has been in the works for 2-3 years. It takes so long for projects to get built that maybe there is a lag and we will see it catching up to us in a few more months.

I do find it frustrating having spent so long specializing in archi viz and now 3d graphics are used everywhere from selling shoes to the local traffic report, to pharmaceutical commercials that I don't think I should have any free time. Oh well.