Pricing

Greg Hess

Wolf: Animation is completely different than just renderings. Your price seems comparable to everything else I have seen.

"we have tried animating in realtime, but it is very rough on the animator's wrists" - Simpsons

Jeff:

I can purchase a 1500 sq.ft. house in a respectable area and good schools with .25 acre lot for $75,000-$85,000 - cost of living is low.

Cars are the same as manufactured goods don't vary a great deal.

John Dollus

Hi!

I just got here (1st post ever at cgarchitect) and first thing I read gave me a little shock.

I live and work in Poland (for those who don’t know where it is – it’s a little bit more to the east than Belgium).

120 $ per hour? eek2.gif

Guys!

Some times I get that kind of money for a week’s job. How about that?

Of course life in Poland isn’t that expensive, but not that much.

I won’t comment the images for 40000$ per piece (mbr’s post).

:(

P.S. Great forum!!!

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Those prices I quoted were for large watercolors (30x40 or so), so a fairly unique pieces. They were very good and got the firm the project (competition). Let's just say that that project had 12-20 people on it full time for about 2 years. Big budget and the watercolor was beautiful.

here in the philippines, prices for 3d rendering jobs costs at an average $100-$200 per project and not per hour with roughly at 2-3 days project turn around time. At that cost, most often it already includes a high quality print out on a 20x30 high gloss film already mounted ready for presentations. But the sad thing is, moslty architects here are still not embracing much of the 3D rendering technologies unless they're trying to impress a big time client. But still, the proce for a rendering job is still pretty cheap

good day to all!!

• 1 month later...

For moonlighting work, I have a scale set up with the following options:

-view complexity

-model complexity

-material complexity

-overall level of detail

-lighting complexity

-entourage complexity

I typically charge $4000.00 for single building perspective (single high-res TIFF file) suitable for client's marketing purposes. I do, on average, about one a month. My last request was for a total of four views, different lighting, same model, with separate post editing, each at $4000.

At my firm, depending on salary with 2.25 multiplier, I bill clients $75-$150 per hour with depending on skill, talent, speed of staff.

I find it very hard to make a decent profit due to high overhead of large firm, but make significant profit freelancing with very little overhead.

• 2 weeks later...

I was just reading through this thread and noticed that there isn't any pricing listed for UK work. I've been freelancing for peanuts, mainly because I needed the experience, (£15/hour at the best and less than 3/hour at the worst!)

I was wondering how much people charge per hour or per job over here?

Well I know of one guy who charged £35/hour to do 3D work, and he had 7 years experience. I've been using MAX for architectural modelling for over 4 years now, and I was trying to freelance in London but had to leave due to the lack of cash.

Tutoring MAX to students I could get £15-20/hour, much more than using it...

Its quite difficult to target prices correctly, trying to estimate budgets etc.

Thanks for the response, does anyone else have figures, from other areas of the country perhaps?

• 2 months later...

Well.. FWIW.. An architecture grad gets about 10 UK pounds per hour up here in Aberdeen, Scotland if they are bloody lucky..

I can get about 50 UKP/hr for web design... but struggle to get more than 20UKP/hr for 3D.. I need to try harder to get work though. Will see what work I can get in 2003...

Mike

Originally posted by mzagorski:

Well.. FWIW.. An architecture grad gets about 10 UK pounds per hour up here in Aberdeen, Scotland if they are bloody lucky..

Mike

that's the problem in europe!

There are mostly small architectural studios in europe and they are mostly too small that they can spend fair money on renderings so they ask students to get what they shouldn't (!) get for the money. ..you can say many Architects abuse the creative energy of students.

The market in europe was destroyed years ago when everyone wanted 3d-renderings but most professional 3d-companies used softimage and couldn't offer cheap renderings for architects.

..that's the point where students offered renderings with a warezed 3dstudio for 10€/hour and a handshake ..and it's also the point when i started to offer renderings, so i was a part of the problem which i now suffer from ... sometimes.

It's really funny (or sad ...havent decide what it is) to have clients who haven't a problem with 200€/hour but on the other hand you have clients who collapse if you offer them a rendering for 1500€.

I also think you can't ask a client for a hour fee.. it's more serious to offer a complete package for ..say 3000€ which includes the rules for the architect and what he will get.

So he can decide if it's worth the money or not...

[ December 29, 2002, 06:46 AM: Message edited by: seismograph ]