Questions about Vray Distributed Rendering

danb4026

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad u finally made it Daniel :)

as for the dark spots....hum, welcome to "Distributed Rendering issues" :D

dunno if u have fixed, but u got to have ALL your maps located in a single place where all pc's connected have acces to.

ligths, vraysetup, default vray mats, etc are NOT affected by the slave(s) machines...so u should not see darker ligthining in the slaves buckets, but u may see black or gray spots in those buckests if the slave machine can NOT read or have acces to the maps location.

well, u made it mate......ENJOY YOUR DOBBLET SPEED WHEN RENDERING!! :D.

Edited by Eric Sosa

script: renderers.current.system_numThreads=4

this script is for quad cores machines, therefore the nr. 4 at the end

Eric, if you are using 2 quad core machines as part of the DR, would the script have and "=8" at the end?

Eric, if you are using 2 quad core machines as part of the DR, would the script have and "=8" at the end?

not, no. 4 = MAXIMUM cores found in the system....and u have only quad cores.

btw..is it everything ok with DR now Daniel?

Eric, everything seems to be working just fine, except for one error message I get in the Vray Message window when rendering:

"Could not connect to host 192.168.0.199: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it"

The target machine is my host machine. I have the firewalls all off, so I do not know what is causing the problem. I have searched and searche for a resolution, to no avail.

The rendering seems fine and I can see the buckets containing the ID's of the Host and Slave machines rendering, but I still get that error. I dont know if it means anything or not. Any ideas?

Daniel, I stated before, the vray messenger window is NOT very trustfull...(DR bug, or whatever we can call it) what I mean, (again), if ALL the pc's connected CPU works at 100%, then it means DR is working properly and the render develops FINE.

if one of the pc connected is NOT running with 100% (at least at rendering), THEN, there is a problem.

I find out that by simply copying/paste the script and successfuly finding the pc's IP in the "resolving renders" of the DR window setting, the DR works fine again.

Very confusing is the vray message window. hell, hope it gets fixed in the new vray versions, do NOT trust it...completely.

Thanks Eric, I will not trust that message window then. Everything seems to work fine, so I will assume the message window is in error.

The cpu's work at up to 100%, but not all the time. They go up and down but definitely hit 100%.

• 2 months later...

Thanks to both eric and daniel for explaning the concept of distributed rendering .

now i am using 3 quad systems for dr. and still i feel its taking too much of time to single render and i need to make walk through. so please give some tips to fast rendering.

using 3 system its almost taking 6mins each frame.

help needed to speed up my renders

Thanks and Regards

shiva

• 2 weeks later...

hi all.

i have a question about DR: do i have to start/stop the spawners in the rest of my machines to reset them? i found it quite often that the remote desktops are BUSY, so what i have to do is to exit the spawner there and restart it, but i would like to know if there is something i am missing or not doing. i would like to have a much more trusthworkhy DR situation here. are there some "better" practices for Vray DR?

thanx!!

So you're using remote desktop to start spawner on your slave machines?

There should be no need to exit and re-open spawner, but occasionally I do that if there are any problems to reset things.

Do you have your Vray Message window open to see error messages while rendering?

hi dan. i use it to restart it, actually. what i found is that if i wait, say 2 minutes, i don't have to restart it.

as for the mssg window, i don't get errors, but a warning about my server being busy. i guess i am just being too impatient with it.

:)

it if let it erm... autorecover (?) it works fine and i don't have the need to restart the spawner. i guess i just have to aknowledge that it takes a bit of time.

thanx!

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello to you all this is my first post here.

I have a question about v-ray DR, Is it possible to make 20 PC (quad cores) work together in a single frame with Distributed Render, because i'm able to connect only 9 slaves when i try to add the 10th slave than errors says " Missing Maps" etc.. Can i make 20 PC work together on a single frame ?

Thank You

Hello to you all this is my first post here.

I have a question about v-ray DR, Is it possible to make 20 PC (quad cores) work together in a single frame with Distributed Render, because i'm able to connect only 9 slaves when i try to add the 10th slave than errors says " Missing Maps" etc.. Can i make 20 PC work together on a single frame ?

Thank You

Yes. You'll first need 2 licenses for Vray as each license is limited to 10 systems. You'll also need to make sure that maps are all located on a server. Based one your specific error - I'm guessing you have the maps on a workstation. Windows workstations allow for up to 10 connections. If more systems try to connect, they will be refused and you'll get missing maps. In that case - move your maps to a Windows server.

• 4 months later...

i finally got vray dr up and running and though i am getting no error message in the vray msg window - it says its connected and says something about sending the model over - but the buckets only have the name of the master computer I h?e started the file with. what gives?

also my computer seems to be choking even with nothing rendering....strangest thing

humm, don't realy understand what you want DR to do for you.

DR = several computers connected on a local network to render one single frame.

if you do not get the 100% of the CPU of each machine, what is the point of having them to run together?, then, simply make each machine render one frame on it's own.

lets put it this way: one "dual core" pc can render a frame in 60.0 min on it's own, 2 x dual core pc's, working with DR, can render the same frame in 30.0 min, 10 x dual core pc's, working with DR, can render the frame in 6.00 min!!...this is the advantage of rendering with DR :cool:

DR gives you the chance to render one single frame FASTER by using several computers networking.

back to topic;

script: renderers.current.system_numThreads=4

this script is for quad cores machines, therefore the nr. 4 at the end. dual cores would use nr. 2 fo example. about your computers specifications.....dunno if you can us this script with a nr. 1 at the end or you simply need other specific script. more advanced members may help here :p

good luck daniel ;), you'll be very happy of you make it work this way.

greets Eric

Hi Eric (or anyone else who might be able to help!),

I've tried out the script on both my quad core machines, and while it worked for a while, (all CPUs show 100% for a couple of renders) subsequently the slave machine goes back to running at only 23%. At the same time, the vray dialogue box tells me that "it could not connect to render host" and then connects and transfers the scene again. I can't seem to get this to go away despite re-booting both my computers and running the script again. Can anyone help?

• 2 years later...

I have a question too about this.

My Host has 6 cores, and a slave has 8, and another 4. So should the script be script: renderers.current.system_numThreads=8 ? Would that be correct?

That is what I tried and I noticed that all machines are using 100% for the most part, but there are certain periods where they will drop to less than 50%, but then go back up to 100%. Is that expected?

The other issue that I'm having is that I get an error message about the host "warning: Could not connect to host 192.168.0.195: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it." Oddly enough though, the host does show up in the render buckets, so it is working, but why I get this error, I don't know.

Thanks

Dave

• 2 months later...

Hi all here,

I'd some advice guys. I work on max 2012 64-bit with vray 2.0, win 7 64bit.

Generally I need to speed up my renders and would like to use my sister's laptop to help me out. I realized, that connetecting through wifi would be nice solution to let her use some basic stuff like internet, so I installed max on her laptop launch Vrayspawner and all seems to be good at first. Distributed render in small window shows connected, vrayspawner is on on my laptop, but while my desktop renders, I can only see 4 squares with the name of my desktop.

Desktop is connected to router with cable, and laptop to router through wifi.

It looks that all is ok, there're no warnings in the render window, it says 'connected'.

any suggestions ?

thanks!

Edited by charlieinolas