Glowing Windows and Wet Effect

SHixon

Please let me know if you thing my latest attempt at making glowing windows and adding a wet effect to the concrete and asphalt areas. I would be very interested in learning other methods to create similar effects. I mainly use these pictures for print purposes.

This was done by using the polygonal lasso to select the windows, then copying and pasting to a new layer. Layer blending mode set to screen. Layer effects added are inner glow with effect size 100%, effect opacity 20%, effect color changed from the default lemony yellow to a richer amber.

Wet effect is duplicate layer flipped vertically and blending mode on soft light.

Layer slightly rotated for matching up vertical lines in reflection to those of original layer. Filter: distort: glass (distortion: 1, smoothness: 2, scale: 75%)

sky and all other non-reflective areas then cut or erased from this layer.

From original layer select and copy & past sky to new layer. Set blend mode to multiply and play with layer opacity if desired.

BEFORE:

4030-Wood-Loop1.jpg

AFTER:

4030-Wood-Loop2.jpg

Thanks for the detailed explanation, Susan. The technique certainly works well.

If it were me, I'd consider adding the wet-look effect and darkening the road surface as well, and adding some blurring to the reflections. A small amount of blur farthest from the camera, gradually becoming more blurred closest to the camera - just to represent Fresnel reflections. Also, the reflected highlights would tend to stretch along the driveway. Maybe try taking the flipped layer and applying a directional/ motion blur to it first, then apply the light and filters etc. Pic below for reference.

Hope this helps,

S.

02-wet-road.jpg

02-night-street-2.jpg

I think the method you have would suite an interior render for a more glossy material like marble. For wet materials i think you should use a fresnel reflection and make a greyscale image of the tiles and slot it in the bump map. You can also use it in the fresnel slots...you might wanna look up Gnomon Vray Exterior Global Illumination...not sure who the author was but its pretty good in dealing with such materials and lighting.

• 4 weeks later...
I've made a sample scene in the past and maybe you can learn the wet material effect from it.

Well basically the scanline renderer was used to render it but hopefully you can tweak a bit for your use

Meher

Wow. Really great image. I'm going to download and use for a rendering i'm working on. I really like the opaque and texture of the windows.