3d trees-which are the best/most detailed

LuckyST

I'm in search of a good package/plugin for max that has really good tree database.

I'm not talking about some random tree generator that takes ages to configure only to look like AEC.

I need something I can plug and play... and not waste to much time configuring it.

please give me a good advice.

P.S. and I'm not talking about RPC's... they just look fake.

and vray comability would be a big +! :)

thanks folks.

if you want mesh/poly trees already modeled and already with VRay textures...

http://3dats.vismasters.com/catalog/viewproduct.aspx?product=4513

if you want customizable, easy-to-build trees, the best program i think is Onyx http://www.onyxtree.com/

I notice you have a few ash trees in there. With the Emerald Ash borer running rampant across the US, you wont find many LA's specifying those any longer, though they are a great street tree. I got called on that last fall by a client. Just a thought, but they do look nice.

Scott

yes, the interface could be improved a lot, but it's simple and powerful and that to me is far more important than whether it looks like atari 2600 or playstation 3.

well, it didnt give me much confidence when I first saw it.

it's supposed to be the cutting edge 3d application... and yet the program it self looks like a 486 advertisement...

and the website could do a little upgrading as well.

they just didnt seem professional enough,... so I never took them seriously.

well, never gave it a good test. I just took a look at it and assumed that it's crap. Gonna give it a second try...

I guess I was wrong.

but one would expect that a 3d authority would put a little more effort into the graphic representation. hence I never gave it a serious test.

P.S. ey zappa... vidi ti Hrvata ovde :)

Edited by LuckyST

well, never gave it a good test. I just took a look at it and assumed that it's crap. Gonna give it a second try...

I guess I was wrong.

but one would expect that a 3d authority would put a little more effort into the graphic representation. hence I never gave it a serious test.

P.S. ey zappa... vidi ti Hrvata ovde :)

Maybe theyre too busy making it an awesome product to use and produce awesome tree's (and grass now).

Never judge a book by its cover.

The interface is familiar to those who have used it for years, is self explanitory and it works well. Stop being precious.

well, not all supermodels are bad...

and this program with a little bit more effort could look better...

it's just a pity they didnt put in those extra few hours.

P.S. sometimes in a rush, there's no time to test, but you have to judge the book by its covers.

well, not all supermodels are bad...

and this program with a little bit more effort could look better...

it's just a pity they didnt put in those extra few hours.

P.S. sometimes in a rush, there's no time to test, but you have to judge the book by its covers.

A few extra hours? I assume that's a metaphor. More like a few extra thousand hours is more like it. Even in a good economy, I'm guessing most 3D plugin developers struggle to survive. Developing a better interface or hiring someone to do it can really be financially impossible for some. And you can thank Autodesk for making it even more difficult, as I know Onyx spends an enormous amount of time rewriting their code to accommodate the ridiculous software release cycle.

Just ask Neoscape how much time they spent redeveloping their new website that they just launched. I'm sure it was a 'few hours'. http://www.cgarchitect.com/vb/34833-neoscape-website-live.html

You know what, if you dont like the look of the interface and are too precious to lower your standards to have to bear it - dont use it. Those of us who know better, will keep using it and producing gorgeous foliage, quicker and easier - and best of luck to you.

Edited by Ky Lane

You know what, if you dont like the look of the interface and are too precious to lower your standards to have to bear it - dont use it. Those of us who know better, will keep using it and producing gorgeous foliage, quicker and easier - and best of luck to you.

Let's not be too hard on him...we're all guilty of it from time to time :p

You do get a bit more with onyx (tutorials, techniques, peer support) just because it is widely accepted as the best fit for custom 3D vegitation, but there are alternatives out there if you cannot get past the interface:

GrowFX

Xfrog

arbaro

Bionatics

A VRay specific option: arboretum

There are pre-built collections out there also, like the set that Brian mentioned, and there are a few really nice and detailed sets available as Evermotion Archmodels collections.

Edited by beestee
clarification and addition