3d trees-which are the best/most detailed

LuckyST

this is a pretty hilarious thread......And while I love Onyx, it can kinda suck (big trees are nearly impossible, removal of the leaf replacement functionality in tree storm, no manual for Onyx flower, and no one could complain enough about their 64bit driver for Max 9, etc.....)

LuckSt is not far off in his perception, they are a small company and every time I upgrade with them, I can't help but feel like if the happy couple decides to have a midlife crisis, get a divorce, or do something else, there will be no more product or support.

sure would be nice if they had staff to rewrite the garden bundles to take advantage of faster processors/display cards...it really hasn't substantially changed in 14 years - which is amazing, but then again, they basically had a monopoly until GrowFX.:)

• 1 month later...

I personally prefer ONYX. That said, I am a Vray user. I know you can do proxies with Mental Ray which would help out a ton with your memory usage. I usually create a high-quality tree with ONYX and then proxy it out. Then using a mass randomizer, I give the trees random rotation and scale to give a nice variety to them. This way you are only using one tree to create the geometry.

With it being a golf course, and I assume in a wooded area, you will definitely want to find a way to reference the tree meshes. Proxies are currently the best solution for this as rmccoy stated.

You will probably get the most support for onyx because of communities like this one. GrowFX is the new guy to the tree sculpting scene, it could actually be better than onyx, but onyx has just dominated the market for so long that it has become the standard. I believe GrowFX has a demo readily available to give you an idea of it's capabilities and simplicity. I have heard that onyx will provide a demo if you contact them.

What makes arbaro stand out from the rest of those is that it is completely free, so you could start with that and not lose a penny on software investment. It works a lot like a mixture of xfrog and onyx, but is quite a bit simpler than either of those, so even the time spent working with it would be worthwhile because that experience will translate to most of the more robust commercial tree sculpting packages should you choose to go with one of them later.

• 2 months later...

I have been looking around a bit lately. I have never used Onyx. I have decided to buy the Onyx superbundle. I tend to buy the best when purchasing these types of things. I guess it depends on your budget and needs. If you dont want to spend any money try Arbaro

We didn't realize that SimpleCDN, the hosting company for our videos, completely retooled their servers and in doing so, made all of our video links completely useless.

If you have the direct link to the download page, the link to download the file works once again. If you don't have the direct link, you will have to take 10 seconds to register. If you would like the 60-min Onyx video demonstration, the link to get it is below. Cheers.

http://www.3dats.com/onyx.asp