iphone 3.0 Today!

acjwalker

Apple isn't the problem. It is AT&T. Everyone that carries the iPhone besides AT&T is rolling out their MultiMedia SMS plans, and tethering plans. AT&T said maybe later this summer.

Also, AT&T's network does not support the 3g speeds that the new iPhone does. The new phone supports 7.2mb per second. I think AT&T's network only supports 1.4mb currently, but I could be wrong. Supposedly AT&T will start rolling out faster networks in major cities later this year, and across their entire network by 2011.

Don't get me wrong, the focusing camera, and faster processor would be nice, but Apple needs to drop AT&T, or open it up to other U.S. carriers.

.....did I mention that other phones on AT&T's network offer MMS, and tethering already? ....just not the iPhone.

Right. Three separate issues:

-iPhone OS 3.0. For all iPhones. This has some new features, and enables a bunch of new stuff in the SDK for downloaded apps. Like, maybe the whole push-notification thing will work for software other than Mail.

-iPhone 3G-S. New version of the hardware. Not available yet. Will ship with iPhone OS 3.0. Adds some stuff like faster CPU, lower power usage in some modes (notably, lower power WiFi hardware), better camera with autofocus, video recording, built in compass (useful because there's going to be turn-by-turn navigation software), more flash storage.

-AT&T sucks. Some of the iPhone OS 3.0 features, like MMS (send a photo to another cell phone) and tether (network cell phone with laptop to have laptop use cell phone's network connection) that will work in other countries will not work for Americans because AT&T has elected not to turn them on yet. Also, under the new contract terms all customers are required to visit an AT&T branch store bimonthly for a spanking (which costs an extra $35 "convenience" fee). I guess these guys could be worse but I'm not sure how. Maybe if they hired whoever's in charge of customer service at Comcast.

Apple isn't the problem. It is AT&T. Everyone that carries the iPhone besides AT&T is rolling out their MultiMedia SMS plans, and tethering plans. AT&T said maybe later this summer.

Also, AT&T's network does not support the 3g speeds that the new iPhone does. The new phone supports 7.2mb per second. I think AT&T's network only supports 1.4mb currently, but I could be wrong. Supposedly AT&T will start rolling out faster networks in major cities later this year, and across their entire network by 2011.

Don't get me wrong, the focusing camera, and faster processor would be nice, but Apple needs to drop AT&T, or open it up to other U.S. carriers.

.....did I mention that other phones on AT&T's network offer MMS, and tethering already? ....just not the iPhone.

I think somebody at AT&T made a major mistake, and underestimated the popularity of the iPhone. Ive been with AT&T for over 8 years, and never I have been let down till recently. I Dont understand why AT&T cant get it together and develop enough support; sadly this lack of support is going to lead to people being turned off of AT&T and switching to another celluar carrier, and I gotta say now is not the time to be influencing your stock to go down.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10260012-37.html

It always amazes me how much Comcast spend on their commercials. I just wish they would make my stations switch faster. I can't surf like I could when I had Time Warner.

I know. When I lived in Syracuse I had Time Warner and I didn't think I liked them very much but it turns out they weren't so bad, relatively. I actually just switched to RCN. My Comcast bill kept creeping up for no understandable reason. RCN is lowering my bill by $55!

Great. I'm DL'ing the 3.0 OS now, and on the "what's new" screen it lists the features like MMS and tether, with an asterisk, and at the bottom it says these features require support from the cellular carrier. As if to say, "Here's what you could have if AT&T weren't so bad." Or maybe what they mean is, "Hey AT&T, turn this crap on or we're going to keep making you look bad."

I got a new icon called 'Voice Memos' and new terms and conditions from itunes. Yea! I feel so upgraded! Thank you, Apple!

Have you tried the Evernote app? ....I have used it off and on, but not to its fullest extent. It does voice memos, picture memos, and test memos. It then syncs them back to their website so they can be accessed from any computer.

http://evernote.com/

Not sure how this stacks up to the Apple voice features. My only complaint is the speed at which the notes are synced to the website.

Well, Ernest, it's not just that, you also get horizontal keyboard in more apps :)

There are a lot of changes, they just aren't visible immediately. Apple tends to upgrade software making the fewest changes they can to the look/feel/graphic format, whereas Microsoft changes the graphics and color scheme all the time, so with the Apple software you don't feel as upgraded - but you are.

One thing I just noticed that's cool. Flick the home screen past the first page - to Page 0 - and it turns into a global search. I type in somebody's name and I see her contact and emails.

That's really weird. Mine goes to page 1 if I'm not already on page 1, and to search if I am on page 1. There's a setting to change what double-click does, and one of the options is Search (I set it to that), but I don't see a setting for what single-click does.