Mental Ray Night Interior Scene

PeggyM

I am a beginner in 3dmax and the only scenes I have done have been intense day-light scenes. Now I need to a night scene of a Restaurant and do not know where to begin. I have started searching through the treads to get any direction. Does anyone have any advice to someone starting a night scene blindly?

Thank you for your time.

* I had originally posted this in the 3dmax Forum and then saw the post regarding keeping these type of posts in the Mental Ray Forum. My apoligizies.

Start with placing photometric lights where the real light fittings would be. Then play with the final gather settings or if you really want to do a combination of photon and FG .

The process is the same as if your doing a sun-lighht scene, except there is no sun:). Dont be afraid to decrease the exposure EV values to brighten up the renderings.

Keep posting in the WIP forum for more specific help when needed.

jhv

Thank you for your advice. I started working on it and I am lost. Things are happening that I am not sure how to fix. I started off, puttting Photometric Free lights in to get started. I got anxious so I added some materials. I did the Render Setup quickly and checked/unchecked basic things. THis is shown in JPEG attached "5_lighting_furn_materials".

Then I bought a chandelier model to add, but before putting it in, tested it in photoshop & brightened up the image- shown in JPEG "1_chandlier_ceiling"> This is in the direction of how I want the rendering to look.

Then I started setting up the rendering more, and it only made things worse. I am not finished tweaking/perfecting my materials and the lights are not working well either. There are large areas of light on certain materials, and also a strange grayish look to the rendering. I turned down all my reflective materials, as well as made the windows a standard MR material to reduce reflections and glare. Am I on the right track?

I have shown my settings in one jpeg called "settings_jpeg12" and the rendering is named "12_" I would like to put the chandelier in there but it is too large.

I have never done a mr Proxy before and when I try to create it, I must be missing a step because it does not work. Any suggestions on Lighting and Settings?

Thank you for your time. I appreciate any input.

i would try more like 200-300 rays per fg point. your ev is pretty low. that means your lights are not as bright. i usually start off around 10.5-11 ev for interior scene (although use whatever works). i would also increase bounces to 4 or 5

i think the lights should not be spherical... i would use uniform diffuse and set the light emitting shape to whatever best fits the fixture it would be emitting from.

hope any of this helps