How Old are WE???

Da_RoCk

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

I'm 28 but everyone usually thinks I'm much older for some reason, that is until they meet me in person and are surprised that I am not 40. I think I was born 40 anyway. ;)

My first computer was when I was 12 or 13. It was an IBM PS/2 Model 25. Think it had a whopping 256K of memory. We splurged for the Math-coprocessor so it could play games better. Back in the days of Police Quest and Leisure Suit Larry. I'm sure a few of you remember those.

I am 29 will be 30 March 31. My first compt was a 286 (screaming maching for '87) I played Leisure Suite Larry & the Land of the Lounge Lizards, PQ, Space Quest, Kings Quest (all Sierra game). But then I really didn't pick up another compt till a few years ago. I actually took my 286 to college in 92. I think I left it in my dorm room as it wasn't worth sending home.

My first love was Sp F/X. I loved the gore and model making and all the toys of the big movies. Then late 80's it was clear the computers were the way special effects would go & I did not want to spend my life at a cpu. So I went into acting. Which lead to architecture which lead to sitting infront of a cpu all day & night. orangeno

Hi

Well I must be one of the oldest here, - 48 - and started computing with stacks of punch cards. My first computer was a Kaypro 10 - a CPM based system running on a Z80 CPU, 64Kb RAM with a whopping 10Mb FDD. We got excited at the introduction of the IBM PC XT, with 640Kb RAM, a monochrome (green) Hercules card running at 720x348 pixels for CAD and in colour, we could run AutoCAD on a CGA colour card at a resolution of 320 x 200 with 4 colours. EGA was a revolutionary at 640 x 350 pixels and VGA (640 x 480) 16 colour was light-years away.

God how things have changed.

Kerry Thompson

32, started out on an Amiga 500 at age 15. Mostly painting.

Around 1990 I fell in love with Jaguars especially XJ series 3 with the V12 Engine. 1994 I got my first PC 486dx2-66(sold a car to finance it).

Now Ive got double headache (broken gearbox and chrashing PCs).

If any of you are interested in jaguars or beutiful cars.. I´will listen..

/Kent

Well I must be one of the oldest here, - 48 - and started computing with stacks of punch cards.
Have you read Jim Gray's article about Storage Kerry?

http://www.aceshardware.com/read_news.jsp?id=75000421

Knew someone here had to be an Amiga starter, with Lightwave etc. That is Dwright of course. Spent a lot of time myself talking to some Amiga users over at Aceshardware and all that thing with Commodore. How do you feel about that David?

Ey Craig, i guess your wrong... Im 21, dont worry we are one of the newer generation here... I guess. :D

Ey, Jeff... Im sorry but i really thought that ur much older. Sorry to say this but i thought that you are at your late 30's. Im sorry but i guess im wrong.

I'm older than Jeff?!?!? I quit. ;)

How many of us said... "When I grow up I wan't to be a CGArchitect"???

Married with children at 33.

First computer was a Timex Sinclair 1000 with the 16k expansion pack in 1982. Apple IIe, III, an IBM/AT, Mac IIsi, 7100, G4, and the TiG4. From what I remember, at "work" it all started with a 286 and Windows 3.1.

Does anybody remember the Wacom Koala Pad??? A friend had it on his Atari 800. Ohhh, the graphics he could 'draw' with that thing.

Aren't we all old bunch of X-Gen LOL ;)

Wow, after doing a degree and then came back to do another (BArch), I felt really old now. Those youngering.. lol ...

I just turn 27. hmmm.. time flies...

Still remembers my first computer when I was 13, it was a sweet 386-SX 20mhz.. it had a WOOPING 2mb of memory (!) and a modem (!) I was the envy of the block ...

Read about yourselves here guys.

This article is about the X-Gen

Thousands of young people -- the so-called Generation X -- abandoned their hometowns and headed for Austin and other new meccas. More than a third of U.S. cities lost members of Generation X in the 1990s. Pittsburgh, Syracuse, N.Y., Buffalo, Cleveland, Springfield, Mass., Youngstown, Ohio and Dayton, Ohio, all lost shares of people ages 20 to 34 in 2000. Austin was a prime beneficiary of this mass movement of the young and talented.
Brian O' Hanlon.

Just turned 27 a few days ago... When I was 8 or so I took a computer programming class... Never looked back since. My first computer was the good old C=64 with a tape drive, loading a game took about half an hour... :D

Then, quite a few years later I bought my first PC/286 XT VGA graphics WOW... 1MB ram and a turbo button for that lighting fast 12/MHz... he, he

Just turned 27 a few days ago... When I was 8 or so I took a computer programming class... Never looked back since. My first computer was the good old C=64 with a tape drive, loading a game took about half an hour... :D

Then, quite a few years later I bought my first PC/286 XT VGA graphics WOW... 1MB ram and a turbo button for that lighting fast 12/MHz... he, he

I'm 26 and about to get married (no kids! :p )

First computer was a MSX...back in 1987...I remember it was as powerful as the first Nintendo 8-bit consoles....And my first atempt on CGI was Batman's face, inspired by the comic book Digital Justice, by Pepe Moreno...

And time flies.... :angedead:

[]

Rick

Thanks, Jeff. I even voted on that pole myself but forgot about it!

David, I am refering to the stories I have heard about Commodore's total lack of brains and balls - or any clue how to market/develop and run with the great products they owned back then. From what I have heard, from sources I know and respect, is that Commodore should really have done better. In fairness, but they managed to screw it up altogether. Same with DEC and the Alpha, DEC Unix products etc.

26 years old

first machine MO-5 only.. and a CBS console :)

at ten years, whith a friend, were copying thousands of programming lines (from papers we found)... to make a "tennis" game work on it :)

went back to computers Laaateeeer, after having been concentrated on girls from 14 to 22 years old :)

began then cg whith autocad and 3ds max at architecture school :D