Vote for - Image of the month!

sgee

I was thinking, it would be good idea if you could add a competitive feature to the gallery, where visitors can vote for the images in the gallery.(or a selected few)

I think this would give cg artists a non-disparaging critical feedback on the quality of their work.

At the end of the month you could post the results, the top three and maybe a few honourable mentions.

If this features develops over the months and shows interest I am sure it would not be too difficult to arrange sponsorship prizes

If you have a look at the softimage community gallery to see what I mean.

I was wondering if idea this has been proposed before, and if it has any merit?

well, we've talked this over here before with the general concensus that, for this site anyway, it's a bad idea.

IMHO VOTING FOR THE BEST PICCY IS A BAD THING

i've seen it fail too many times. thats way the challenges are there. voting makes ppl either smug, elitist, disparaged, or all three. it certainly isn't a true description of a crit.

thats not why i visit cgarchitect.com

agree with strat. People should post work for honest and if need be, brutal critique. People shouldn't post work to get more votes than another image in the gallery.

If I want my nuts stroking I'll post my work on CGTalk ;)

Problem with the challenges is that too many of the professional cg artists don't have time to do the challenge and some of the best stuff is created for our clients, and not as hobbies.

Also it does not take much to add a few effects and sparkles to an image that was not in the original client's brief, than starting a whole new challenge project.

My suggestion is for a moderator (say Jeff) to select maybe 2 images a week making that 8 images a month in the voting section.

So not everyone ‘gets their nuts stroked’

Maybe the sensitive folks can have the option to be excluded from the competitive comparison when submitting their pics.

And only those who want to or don’t give a …k get entered.

The point is that the client does not always see the true merit of our work, the finer points which only the trained or artist eye can see.

Originally posted by sgee:

Maybe the sensitive folks can have the option to be excluded from the competitive comparison when submitting their pics.

what's sensitivity have to do with it? I'm certainly not sensitive and certainly confident of my own art, but i'd never ever post anything up for voting, unless it was a specific challenge.

there are hundreds of sites dedicated to the type of voting you talking about. this isn't one of them. and i hope it never does become like that, even with it's own separate forum like Kid joshed about.

as i say, imho, voting for images is a very personal and shallow task. this site is too proffesional for that. it has no relervance, it means nothing.

voting is the path to the dark side. voting leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.....

It seems I have offended Strat?

As I previous mentioned, I was looking at the Softimage Community gallery, where I got the idea. My impression of the site was far from unprofessional, and I was highly impressed with their website.

I thought the idea would add some spice /maybe excitement to the submission process, hopefully as sense of achievement. And maybe, just maybe if the award gets a reputation in the CG community over time, the person could attach the award to the CV, portfolio... like Macromedia vote for site of the day, week. And if you note the winner always attaches the award to their site.

Again I don't see Macromedia as being unprofessional or shallow.

Remember success is always inhibited by our insecurities.

no, not offended me by a long shot, it's just a pet hate of mine. i find voting childish and shallow and meaningless.

it's was touched on here - http://www.cgarchitect.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=30;t=000047

CGA is too proffesional for a voting system. to better urself you dont need competition. if you do then visit a competition site or wait till our own challenges arrise.

i'll sometimes enter these for the experience. the voting is completely irrelevant to me and i take no notice of it.

I think that mr.sgee or who ever he is has come up with an idea worth exploring. Jeff, if you are listening maybe we could put a sensible post up on the site asking the many talented people what they think. It would be nice to think that an award from cg.architect would be a nice achievment to have on a cv.

I got my current job through this site so i have a lot of faith in you guys and i would like it very much if your services could be further extended. You already have great reputation, why not expand it.

Strat

Tell who votes on which web site is the featured site?

CGA has a lot of listed web sites, and only one a week/month however long gets voted as being the best to feature?

So is this voting unprofessional or professional.

Hi,

I have a feeling strat may have lost some sort of competition during his early childhood years lol!! which has led to a deep resentment for this whole concept. I think if handled correctly it could be fun and rewarding.

Just giving my opinion,

Enlighten

I do hope that one mans personal view does not eclipse those of others.
Make that two mans personal view. Count me out. Yoda'man, Strat!

There's nothing wrong with championing great work when we see it, but I agree that a 'vote' would alienate some, which is not what a 'community' is for. In voting FOR one, you by definition vote AGAINST another. No fun, that.

So why is it that "3dfestival.com" has a voting system and "cgarchitect.com" does not when they are so closly linked. 3dfestival is a web site for the pros, people get voted on all the time. If no one votes for your image then you know you have got work to do, surley this is a good ground for self improvement, is it not?

If you dont ever open your ears when you are being told your is no good, you will just carry on producing nonsense! Barmey! Lets get voting, lets coment on each others work, who knows you might learn somthing. orangeno

Interesting point edd, however I don't think that a single image that gets posted here in the forum section has never gotten comments. Most people post their picts knowing they need comments and advice. What you seem to be proposing is a simple quantification of that advice. Seems like people could get lazy and instead of saying: "looks good try avoiding parallax next time" they could just say "***".

edd - i think ur getting confused between a crit and a voting system.

i do look for advice. i do keep my eyes open and if i'm no good then i want to be told how to improve. thats why i come here. if i want advice and want to improve my images i place them in these forums on CGA here for crits and advice.

i dont do it to run in competition with my friends.

So why is it that "3dfestival.com" has a voting system and "cgarchitect.com" does not
why create 3dfestval Version II? this site is popular for the unique opportunity for information on the industry, software, and user work.

I have a feeling strat may have lost some sort of competition during his early childhood years lol!! which has led to a deep resentment for this whole concept
-

although some may see opposition to the idea of a voting system as over-sensitivity or lack of confidence in their work :mad: , the real issue is what works best to improve your work. with a voting system all you are going to get is "5stars" or "3.5stars" but what does that tell you? what can you improve? what did the person like? but if you post a picture now, you get lots of helpful crits, i.e. adjust the camera angle, image is too saturated, add this, take this away, etc., that give you an idea whether your work is 3.5 stars or 5stars. if you really want to get stroked post up an image and ask that respondents give a rating 1-5 :D just my opinion :angesigh:

Firstly I think everyone is getting too side tracked.

Is competition not fun?

What is wrong with friends competing against each other, have younever played a round of golf, game of tennis or squash, even chess for those less sporty geeks out there. What about computer games are they not more fun when you are competing against friends???

And we have all missed the OBVIOUS,....

I see people with little stars under their name, is that not a rating derived from voting??

I hope that people are not operating with double standards, that would be wrong!!