Client has not paid. What do I do?

Jonathan Sanchez

I think DomainCabinets is a computer. If fact a Domain Cabinet could be a cryptic name for a computer.
I have the same thought. It's pretty cool that computers are quoting and responding to people. It's going to get downright creepy if the day comes when they start interacting on forums with a coherent stream of words. Today is not that day though.

Jonathan Sanchez:

I'm sorry you're in a challenging situation about not getting paid for the work you've done. Thanks for posting your experiences. Your post is a kindness others to alert them of the care that needs to be made when dealing with clients and I have thoroughly enjoyed all the various contributions that articulate strategies for avoiding your situation. Best wishes to you!

Edited by David Arbogast

• 11 years later...

This just recently happened to me. A friend/contractor decided not to pay even though we talked about what the price would be to change in his words "2 simple things" The price was high because I have a lot of work and really didn't want to do it because its a simple deck that they have changed so many times it's taken over a year to do. (they did pay all except the last payment) They are now scoffing at the price and refuse to pay.  I'm just counting it as a loss, but it also affected my business with another architect who I work with that the friend's wife works for and recommended me for.  I have not been paid by this architect who is in Telluride because of what this wife who works for him has said about what I charged them, even though her husband agreed to the price. I am now going to send his bill off to collection and in the future never to work on anything unless I add a watermark and low-resolution photo. 

• 3 months later...

Architects have become shady over the years. Three times this year the architect has brought the project to 90+ completion, and then puts things on hold, never to be heard from again. I get a 50% deposit and I release nothing until the balance is paid, but nothing keeps them from screen grabbing and there is AI software to remove watermarks. A lawyer won't touch anything unless there are many thousands in it for them and with small claims, nobody cares about an out-of-state judgement. One architect put the project on hold after 90% completion and came back with updates a month later, claiming they sent a check in the mail, but it never arrived. The person inquired about progress, so I mentioned the check never arrived; I never heard from him again. I would love to find a bill collector to handle these.

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately, time passes and everyone has the same problems, namely unscrupulous clients. I am already tired of it. It is necessary to draw up a contract with the help of a lawyer with maximum protection for the contractor (lawyer list). I agree with you that few people will want to file a lawsuit. Although once, my lawyer and I accidentally came across other performers who had been deceived by the same client and filed a class action lawsuit. It took us months and a lot of money and nerves, but we won. For once, justice was restored.

Edited by Kel Rogers
added some details