Maxwell interactive preview render for 3DS Max

sconlogue

Hi There,

The latest 2.5 update of Maxwell Render includes an interactive preview render engine integrated into Max via the Maxwell Plug-in. It seems pretty similar to Vray RT though with Maxwell it is CPU only therefore you are not limited by your GPU's RAM. I have loaded rather large scenes in the millions of polys with 4K textures etc and it seems pretty solid. I just posted a few videos walking through some of the features and it's performance under different conditions if anyone is interested.

Part3.jpg

Maxer, agreed. Outside was great but inside really slowed down. The test system for these videos was a Core i7 940 @ 3.2 Ghz. I didn't tell Fire to restrict any cores so 8 logical cores (2 physical). So what I would call a mid-range machine for 3D work. Throw Dual Xeon X5680 chips at it and I am sure it would clean up right quick. Too bad I don't have any of those.

That being said interiors in Maxwell are tricky anyway. You can get additional noise any number of ways and I can't claim this scene to be the most efficient setup. I'd be curious to start with a blank room, add one emitter and go from there seeing where the slow down threshold is. I'll post it if I get to it.

Granted even when it's slow and noisy I can still see it being very useful for checking light balance and exposure.