The idea of Maxwell's "neverending" render......(?)

rasputin1963

Hello all,

I'm new to Maxwell. I've been using Cinema 4D for all my renders before now.

I'm curious about Maxwell's idea of the "neverending" render...

I do appreciate that Maxwell's approach to rendering is more realistic, more naturalistic.

But the question remains: How do you know when Maxwell is (more or less) finished with rendering your picture? I see it can schedule 2-hour renders even on the simplest of subjects (a simple sphere primitive, for example). Are you telling me that the picture continually improves over that two-hour rendertime? Or does it reach at point at which "it's not going to get any better". :D In a nutshell: How do you know when to stop (interrupt) your render?

Thanks, rasputin

With a bit of testing you will become familiar with which types of scenes take longer to clear up than others. A sphere in an open environment will take a few seconds to clear. A sphere in a room with a small window and lit only by an outside source will be about your toughest situation. So those are your two extremes.

Ihab, your comment does not really contribute anything valuable to the conversation. :(

LOL, Ihab may have a point, but what I'd do is until you get comfortable set very long render times and stop it when it looks good. And cheat. If you have opportunities to add large diffuse off-camera light sources to interiors, this will speed up rendering.

Ihab, your comment does not really contribute anything valuable to the conversation. :(

Fran, I was kidding hence the laughing face, without jokes our lifes would be boring, but if you want it then OK then I will be more direct and useful : DITCH maxwell and buy Vray, Maxwell is not fast enough for everyday money making renderings for business oriented artists.

• 4 weeks later...

the short answer,maxwell will *never be finished* with your render,spreading the infinity between 99.9-100%.

a finished product is what you see with your eyes to be natural and presentable for the project|client at hand. thats when you press the stop. or,if you want,you can set the amount of calculations|time you want in settings params for that render before it stops by itself. whichever works for you,which will depend on you fiddling around with it and finding your sweet spot.

that said,maxwell renders can always be saved and continued from saving point in the future,which is a boon for when you need to upgrade quality in the future. hth.

Edited by Alpha Tomasowa