Release 9

Frosty

From what I have now read, these seem to be the largest improvements.

1) N-gons. Models will now come in untriangulated.

2) A Maya like "hotbox". I thin this is fully customizable.

3) RPC. DOnt know much about this yet, but its listed on the file formats.

Looks good. Most of what's there I don't need, but most of what's in the existing product I don't need.

Still, the sub-poly displacement is the most exciting. I have been looking very closely at Z-Brush lately, and this would help the two work together. You can 'paint' 3D with sub-poly displacement. Yea!

The cloth bit looks useful, too.

I was just beginning to get comfortable with the interface, but am open to improvement, not set-in-my-ways yet.

How much does a C upgrade usually cost?

hmm, importing works fine for me Cesar :/

well get the upgrade as a matter of corse in work, but they dont seem to have touched the render. most strange, as they havent really upgraded the render engine since rel 7.3.

lets hope r9 elliminates the illusive memory leakage problems. also lets hope the sub-poly displ. gives us a vray grass effect :)

Strat,

I don't remember if I saw you on the CGtalk thread, but Storm Tracer is a new plugin that looks like it can produce very realisitc grass with minimal rendering overhead.

http://www.peranders.com/c4d8/st/

I'm dying to try out sub poly displacement too though. One exciting rendering feature for me is cached shadow maps. This will dramatically reduce rendering time on animations that use soft shadows. Overall, I can't wait to get my hands on R9.

Cheers,

Jack

Strat,

I don't remember if I saw you on the CGtalk thread, but Storm Tracer is a new plugin that looks like it can produce very realisitc grass with minimal rendering overhead.

http://www.peranders.com/c4d8/st/

I'm dying to try out sub poly displacement too though. One exciting rendering feature for me is cached shadow maps. This will dramatically reduce rendering time on animations that use soft shadows. Overall, I can't wait to get my hands on R9.

Cheers,

Jack

yeah, i have seen that. not a bad price for 150 euro. but it seems very toony and unrealistic to me, and i bet it's still slow as hell. but then i'm a cynical bugger :p

the cached shadows sound interesting, but again, like cached gi animation solutions, i'm note generally a fan. i much prefer to render each frame fully and individually. but then i have the rendering power behind me.

ooooooooooooooh! i didnt realise there were cacheed shadow maps now. I've been wanting that for a while.

I didn't see that on the one, rather UGLY, PDF page on the Maxon site. I guess that would be good. It has to re-calc everything for every frame unless you are caching the radiosity or shadow maps?

You know, when I first started out using digital renderings, oh, back in the stone age I think it was, I was using a program called Virtual Reality. It was really quite good. Some people still use it (renamed Renderize). It used shadow maps, and I was always having to work out map sizes, map biases so they would shadow others but not themselves, etc. I thought it barbaric. That stuff is the software's job. I REALLY don't want to have to worry about the shadow map crap anymore.

Brilliant! Now I just need to pull in another couple of jobs so I can get R9 and a flashy new G5 to go with it!

Good grief- I'm going to have to take a serious look at my charges. If you can afford that from a couple of jobs I'm doing something wrong somewhere. Good for you, how's it done, please.

I'm feeling a bit p' off at the moment with this game you play with the clients, knowing it's your work that the end client sees and sells the job but seem to be always pushed down on price !! Making hundreds whilst they make thousands.

Good grief- I'm going to have to take a serious look at my charges. If you can afford that from a couple of jobs I'm doing something wrong somewhere. Good for you, how's it done, please.

Ok, I got a little carried away there. In fact, my firm is pretty new and I'm going through the same problems. Just sent out three proposals to a client and he's told me that his client is "very cost-conscious". Since I'm short on work at the moment, I gave him a huge discount, but I'm worried that still won't be enough.

Sales is definitely my least favorite part of this work, but it does seem to work. When I finally sent off a big promotional mailing and started following up with calls, I made some progress. On that note, I guess I should do a little more of that so I can afford some much needed upgrades. At least I can play with the R9 demo for free!

Jack

In my opinion whilst it sounds like a brilliant upgrade on version eight, you'll have to decide if you really need or want the additional features, and can't live without them because when you look at the upgrade pricing taking into context the core program you have and any modules it works out very expensive.

There is a lot of traffic on the net about this, and more than a few unhappy users. Seems the programmers and testers did a great job but the pricing policy department screwed it up.

For example in the UK the price for an upgrade from 8.2 is the same as from 8.5 - what happened to the hundred pounds paid out by some only a short while ago. Great for me as an owner of 8.2 but a bummer for 8.5 upgraders.

Loyalty Maxon?

Having said that I still think nearly 50% of what I paid for the original program a year ago is too much so unless I really need the new stuff I'm not uprading at all.

With other software manufacturers dropping prices and offering in my opinion fairer upgrade prices Maxon will start to lose much of its reputation as a good company to buy from.

i downloaded it, unzipped it, and copied the rel9 folder into my main maxon folder (just for personal convenience.) it doesnt install, it's actually the full app you download in a zip file.

yup, runs as a complete separate entity. no interference with existing cine stuff. i also copied my custom UI's from rel 8.5 into it by default so it opens every time in my own fashion :)