Hi all,

I'm starting to build a new PC specifically for 3D Max and VRAY. This forum has been incredibly helpful for researching the different components.

I see a lot of people using 8GB or 12GB RAM in their designs, so I was wondering if there are any problems with my plan to go with 16GB. Is it more than can actually be used? Proposed system below.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks.

i7 2600K 3.4GHz

ASUS P8P67 (rev 3.0)

FirePro V4800

Corsair XMS3 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 1600

Corsair 60GB SSD

Seagate 1TB 7200RPM HD

Windows 7 Pro

There's no such thing as too much money or too much RAM. I'm assuming you're looking at the 16GB package that's $120 on Newegg?

For the video card - the 4800 is $160, and that's a heck of a value if a certified workstation card is important. If not, for that money you could get a Radeon 6850, which has a lot more GPU power, probably enough to overcome the lack of pro-ness.

Hi all,

I'm starting to build a new PC specifically for 3D Max and VRAY. This forum has been incredibly helpful for researching the different components.

I see a lot of people using 8GB or 12GB RAM in their designs, so I was wondering if there are any problems with my plan to go with 16GB. Is it more than can actually be used? Proposed system below.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks.

i7 2600K 3.4GHz

ASUS P8P67 (rev 3.0)

FirePro V4800

Corsair XMS3 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 1600

Corsair 60GB SSD

Seagate 1TB 7200RPM HD

Windows 7 Pro

Case?

Power Supply?

CPU cooling?

BTW, you can never have too much ram :) especially with how cheap modules are getting these days.

Carlosoporto: I think it was a good idea to skip the MBP. Mine has held up pretty well as I've been learning 3D Max and Rhino, but if you want to do serious work you will be far more productive with a true PC. Still love my Mac for Adobe CS5 and pretty much everything else.

Slinger: Thanks for the confirmation on the RAM. I'm still at least a month out from getting this stuff, and haven't decided on all components yet. Here's what's sitting in my cart at Newegg though...

Roswell Destroyer Case and 630W PSU Combo

Haven't researched cooling yet.