Onyx Palm - Make the leaves more desne without making them thinner

rombout

Hi all,

recentley started to use Onyx Palm. I watched all the tutorials which i could find and looked at many images about the program. My question is about the leaves, im trying to make a 'Roystonea REgia' or Ryal Palm. On there website (Onyx) they have this example of royal palms animation, where a soft is blowing. Those models seen there have a very dense setup with nice thick leaves. No matter what i try, make the density lower or make the leaves widther. When i change the density the widthness of the leaves changes automatically. SO never am i capable of making nice thick bracnhes with leaves like the example. As i real life these palms have very dense branches, but onys cant seem to reproduce it.

is there any one who knows how to do this or solve this?

Best regards,

rombout

Working with the default palm: It's letting me put leaf density down to 1mm and that gets pretty furry. I play around for a little while and I can't make it do anything that seems like what you are describing.

The only thing that comes to mind is that they aren't changing the way you think, but since they change size, Onyx is changing the zoom. Yeah, I know... doesn't seem likely, but it's KINDA like how Onyx behaves.

One thing is that the Onyx parameters can interact with each other in sometimes counter intuitive ways. I think sometimes it is possible to get a tree that looks kinda right with parameters (I'm making this up) 12, 8, 47 but when you tweak something even a little it all goes haywire. That's because it's sort of a numeric fluke and the tree you want should really use 3, 2, 7; if you were in that space tweaking would be OK.

What helps me sometimes, especially when I was just starting out, was to just dump a tree that was getting weird and start a new one. Set out right into the parameters I had trouble with before and see if I can make better sense out of them. Then work on pushing them where I want. Then work on getting the rest of the tree happy.

Oh wait... _leaflet_ width.

Right, there does seem to be a point at which the leaves become too dense for their width so they get skinny. Overlap protection, if you will. I suppose it could be "because that's what trees do". There's a lot of that in Onyx, I think.

Still, I'd say my results are adequately dense. Let me see if I can find the demo you talk about... This first one here, with the square fountain planters? The leaves don't look any more dense than I am able to get. Can you post an image? The tops look... frond dense, but each frond is nothing special.

Have a look at the attached and try to describe some more what's wrong. Upload a photo. Start a new tree.

opalm.jpg

Hi thanks for your response.

Here are 2 images of my made palms. these palms are quite big, about 16m in height. Ife set the widthness of the leaves up to 9-10 cm but 'cause i want dense stems the leaves tend to get thinner. i did a trick by making a second seperate mesh with some minor adjustments, though this turned out a bit to dense perhaps.

But is there no option to turn off that 'overlap protection' i have never seen such a option if i must say. Problem is in Onyx the tree looks dense but than in my render app, thearender, it looks kind of 'bald'. If already set the polys to high in the export.

I would like a tree like the single mesh but with a bit more leaves

I also will try your trick by starting from scratch.

double_mesh.jpg

This palm is with a double mesh

single_mesh.jpg

This palm is with a single mesh