FryRender Forum

F J

there is still support, you can send them an email, they will reply quickly.

And they didn't really kill fryrender, it has evolved into the LIVE plugins, which basically gives you about the same options of Arion and Fryrender together. Instead of the lightmixer, you just change your light settings in 3dsmax..it renders using GPU and CPU and is done in notime!

(Microsoft didn't kill WinXP too...they now have Win8..looks different, but can do the same and more..)

Arion render has absorbed all of the features of fryrender (except for LightMixer), and is available as a fully integrated 3ds Max (2010-2013) plugin. It is also available in standalone form. It is the product of 3 years of intense development and it is not free.

well thats kinda shitty..

i just downloaded Vray for Max2013 n didnt have to pay anything beyond the cost of when i first got it..

Well actually, that is just the same version of V-Ray. Any upgrade of V-Ray will cost you something too.. (more even, than the upgrade from fryrender to MAX LIVE or ARION 2.0...)

That's a good point Stefan. All upgrades for fryrender have been free for the last 6 years. LIVE is completely new software and supports a number of native Max features that fryrender could not and was never intended to support. With the amount of ingenuity and development labor that has gone into it, it would be impossible to offer it for free.

The upgrade price from Arion 1.x and fryrender 1.x to LIVE is 195€ and 95€ to upgrade to the standalone. The standalone can import .obj and .rcs files.

So, if someone paid 395€ for fryrender and 195€ to upgrade to LIVE, some would think that was a pretty good deal over several years. Of course some people's situation may be different.

Arion LIVE is the upgrade path from fryrender. With integration into Max, comes support for full animation, backburner, maxscript, AutoShade, the Slate editor, native cameras, Daylight System, IES photometric data and projectors, instances, particle flow, Hair and Fur, micro-poly displacement, motion blur, rendertime sub-division, motion blur, and I'm sure I'm forgetting other things.

Any comparison in trems of rendering speed with FRY?

SAme scene,same settings,same rendering machine...

As a tester, I did not do comparisons with fryrender, because at that time they were two products that had their benefits depending on the type of project for which they would be used. That was mainly determined by size and complexity of the scene and whether the scene required things like instancing or micropoly displacement. There are certain situations where fryrender might be more efficient - the case of caustics or recessed lighting. But with the new Spotlight and IES options in the Emitter material, recessed lighting is much faster to resolve and much easier to implement. Fryrender would be more efficient with physically-modeled light fixtures such as recessed cans.

I think this IES file (11.ies) came with one of the 3ds Max releases. The little black dot above the light cone is a small poly with the emitter material on it. You can elect to hide it from the camera, or make it appear self-illuminating.

IES_11.jpg

Now Arion can accommodate unlimited materials, maps and objects, and supports instancing and micropoly displacement. This fact has rendered fryrender redundant. Because fryrender and Arion were parallel products, it was not feasible to develop fryrender further for integration in the LIVE format once Arion was able to absorb fryrender's feature set. Since Arion can be run in cpu-only mode, limited vRAM is not an issue. If you have a CUDA-based gpu, you should know that Arion scenes require far less memory than they did before. Of course, Arion is much faster with gpus enabled. It is even faster than fryrender when it is used in cpu-only mode.

Chema said some months ago in the Randomcontrol forum:

The RC5 project was cancelled years ago, and proper explanations were given as to why that was necessary. So please, stop waiting for it because it will never happen.

However, as explained in another post, existing customers of fryrender (and Arion) will be given one of the LIVE plugins for free (the one they choose).

So how about this statement? Another lie?!? :mad:

I think the part with "the one they choose" is obsolete now since there is only max and maybe xsi now... :rolleyes:

I bought fry for max AND sketchup especially for this vaporware RC4/RC5.

The stand alone version without plugin and only reading obj and without network rendering and animation support is another joke. Useless!!

Will the forum come back after it has been cleaned from the old promises?

Or will there be no new forum?

Edited by numerobis

Unbelivable!

TO thought they where JediKnights when they appeared and NextLimit where the DrakSide!

I think it was 6 years whenFry started appearing

To promise something that you believed you could deliver is not lying. To fail to keep that promise is not a good thing, but sometimes it cannot be avoided.

From the Summer of 2006 until the Spring of 2012, fryrender customers received free upgrades.

I think silence means consent.

Very sad. i really thought Chema would be an honest and trustworthy person...

Chema said some months ago in the Randomcontrol forum:

The RC5 project was cancelled years ago, and proper explanations were given as to why that was necessary. So please, stop waiting for it because it will never happen.

However, as explained in another post, existing customers of fryrender (and Arion) will be given one of the LIVE plugins for free (the one they choose).

So how about this statement? Another lie?!? :mad:

I think the part with "the one they choose" is obsolete now since there is only max and maybe xsi now... :rolleyes:

I bought fry for max AND sketchup especially for this vaporware RC4/RC5.

The stand alone version without plugin and only reading obj and without network rendering and animation support is another joke. Useless!!

Will the forum come back after it has been cleaned from the old promises?

Or will there be no new forum?

What a pitty... I bought Fryrender and later on I bought Arion, to be used for Sketchup. I think I used it for one project, with success... however, the Sketchup plugin always struggled to be simple and efficient and when one bug was resolved, another came up. I ended up not using any of them any more because of it. I think it is a good thing they ditched all the plugins for the different host apps. They clearly couldn't handle the development and maintenance for it. So better say not to develop the plugins than to keep false promises up the whole time. I hope they will learn from their mistakes and also start a more humane customer approach and communication.

Edited by kwistenbiebel