FryRender Forum

F J

On another note, the fact that RC abandons all plugins besides Max is a sign to me that Autodesk manages to kill competition in the viz business.

This has also to do with the uprise of Revit and Max being able to link with it.

A thing Sketchup , Rhino and others can't efficiently do.

The exporters for Revit only work properly in conjunction with Max.

For instance, the collada exporter produces a collada file that is corrupt for Sketchup etc...

Very clever of Autodesk.

I think this evolution makes it hard to develop plugins for different host modelers besides Max.

If you look at Vray...the same thing seems to happen.

Vray for Sketchup is on a development stand still, the Vray for Rhino seems not really taking off that well either .

I think that's a bad move for RC guys. If you can't keep your promises talks a lot about a company's credibility. Not to mention the erratic developing path of the product ending in killing two products. I agree that there were 6 years of free updates, but they were mainly patches and small additions to the product. 1.6 in six years! They should've been supporting the plugins at least...there are a lot of costumers that bought fry for the integration into their 3d apps.

Well, let's see how things work for RC with their market strategy and without a forum! Good luck.

Excuse my iPhone spelling corrector

Edited by renato

I think this evolution makes it hard to develop plugins for different host modelers besides Max.

If you look at Vray...the same thing seems to happen.

Vray for Sketchup is on a development stand still, the Vray for Rhino seems not really taking off that well either .

I would say vray is taking the opposite direction... there is vray for Rhino, Sketchup, Maya and XSI now and i remember they were searching developers for a new and improved Sketchup integration some weeks ago.

I bought fry for max AND sketchup especially for this vaporware RC4/RC5.

Same situation here, but just for max, and I had to give up on it long ago.

Makes me curious of the demand for such a product as RC4. Creating baked lighting solutions has never been straightforward with any rendering package I have ever used and that is what made RC4 so promising to me. RandomControl has set it's own path though, and there are certainly individuals that are happy with the direction it has gone...but I can' t help but think that they put themselves squarely into a crowded competition where it is enormously difficult to stand out with "Real-time" unbiassed rendering, whereas RC4 seemed to offer something unprecedented.

I am still looking for a straight-forward baking engine for any startup developers that may be listening. Something that communicates well with Unity would be a plus.

I am glad to see Chema and team still successfully plugging away as it does give me hope that eventually, maybe they will regain the vision they once had for RC4. He is the one that shared the vision with us after all, and made us believe in it, so it still has to be lingering in his mind somewhere.

really, no offense meant, but I find it strange that someone would buy a product because of possible future plans. Plans are never a guarantee as you don't know what tomorrow will bring..What if RC did release RC4 but your company was gone by than just because of the bad economy at the moment..you would've spend money on something you would never be able to use..I don't buy a car now, because in 50 years it might be possible to fly with a car..and then to complain if mine won't...

I did try Arion2, MAX LIVE, I work with 3dsMax for 16 years now...I like MAX LIVE, a lot..and no, I don't have a need for fryrender anymore because I can do way more with this new software..I can do stuff with it, they didn't even dare to plan ahead to...

And yes, it would be great if those same options, this same software would be able to work with programs like SU7 or Rhino or so..but to be honest, those programs were never meant to produce visuals on this level..probably their base code won't be able to support it..of course you can export to .obj from almost every program, load that into ARION2 standalone and render it...so still...not a real problem, only not integrated..

But even the integration was not to be expected..

And integrating Arion2 into 3dsMax gives great options...you can access it through MaxScript..write an app and script to be able to walk through your scene from your iPad by simply moving it, just hold still or press a button and it will render a photorealistic end-result with Arion2 MAX LIVE...all controlled from your iPad for example..(no the code isn't finished, but the test case was working fine!!)

Of course it's not nice expecting something and then seeing something else is going to happen..but that's live. I try to make the best of what I do have, instead of complain on what I don't have

It should seem strange since Fryrender was a hobby investment for me, so no livlihood at stake to drive that decision really. My investment didn't yield what I had hoped for...but I still own one of (what I consider, at least) the top render engines available.

Also, considering the early pricing it would be foolish to wait and see if those features materialize and spend far more for the same thing when the software would obviously be developed to be useful in one way or another whether or not the anticipated features came about...I just don't have a use for the software yet as I have access to, and am very familiar with VRay and Mental Ray. Also, had I not slipped into the early pricing, I probably never would have considered it, so in a way I was hoping for those features.

I can't really say that I have bitter disappointment over the issue, just mild disappointment, since as you said there was no guarantee that those early concepts would bear fruit.

Does anyone by chance know if or when the upgrade pricing from 1.x to Live will end?

well i can only laugh after finding out today what RC has done with arion 2.

I purchased a full seat or arion 1 when it came out, and put up with it being buggy as.

I bought it for the sole purpose of animation, which i found out despite the advertising, arion didn't support.

I politely posted in the forums asking when this would be rectified, and my posts were promply deleted, my account was locked, and my login was blocked. I wasn't even allowed to download the updates that i had purchased and was entitled to!.

about 6 months worth or emailing was ignored trying to get my login back.

funny thing is, i was really nice about it all.

now i see that animation was never going to be supported in arion and it was all pure BS.

In any case i went out and bought a maxwell seat and haven't looked back. I'll be amazed if RC are still around in a few years they way they routinely abandon their software and treat their customers like fools.

I purchased a full seat or arion 1 when it came out, and put up with it being buggy as.

I bought it for the sole purpose of animation, which i found out despite the advertising, arion didn't support.

I politely posted in the forums asking when this would be rectified, and my posts were promply deleted, my account was locked, and my login was blocked. I wasn't even allowed to download the updates that i had purchased and was entitled to!.

now i see that animation was never going to be supported in arion and it was all pure BS.

In any case i went out and bought a maxwell seat and haven't looked back. I'll be amazed if RC are still around in a few years they way they routinely abandon their software and treat their customers like fools.

You couldnt use Arion for animation so you went out and bouht Maxwell? Wow, you really are a sucker for punishment! ;)

I have asked RandomControl if they had ever locked anyone out of the forum or denied anyone their legal license. They did ban one person temporarily years ago. But no one else. Occasionally abusive comments would be deleted. But never legitimate support questions. And they have never revoked a legal license or intentionally ignored tech support emails. So, I do not think that you have given an accurate account of the events.

well at the studio we have a farm of 12 pc's so it's fine really. I find i quickly forget how long something took to render. the quality is forever though :p

I was hoping arion would speed things up a bit without losing the quality but it wasn't to be...

For real? I was talking with a Maxwell guy the other day and he said a 1080p animation would take roughly 3-4hrs per frame. I have a farm but I couldnt deal with times like that.

For real? I was talking with a Maxwell guy the other day and he said a 1080p animation would take roughly 3-4hrs per frame. I have a farm but I couldn't deal with times like that.

well at 1080p it takes a machine about 1 hr to do a frame currently. but i render out a bit smaller than that (900px) and each frame takes 25min. across a farm that shoots out pretty good. maybe not for most industries, but for a short promo animation of a new product it's adequate.

"I have asked RandomControl if they had ever locked anyone out of the forum or denied anyone their legal license. They did ban one person temporarily years ago. But no one else. Occasionally abusive comments would be deleted. But never legitimate support questions. And they have never revoked a legal license or intentionally ignored tech support emails. So, I do not think that you have given an accurate account of the events."

My account is accurate. it wouldn't be like RC to bend the truth though :p

really though, whether intentional or not, my attempts to recover my login details and update my software were met with deaf ears. My interaction with RC always made me feel like the support team was way too small, overworked, and as a result not particularly professional compared with other software companies I've dealt with. It's a pity really.