having a photometric light problem, please help me :)

erkutacar

hi, ive got 4 photometric lights emitting from cylinder. when they r out in the open they light up the scene properly. but when they r hidden in the ceiling, they light through the geometry and make splotches as if using low GI settings..

now those images r rendered with FG only on Low preset with 3 bounces..

light_open.jpg

light_hidden.jpg

4 free lights, each emitting from a cylinder shape with radius 2cm and length almost 3.5 meters... size doesnt matter why does it work properly when it isnt hidden behind a geometry..

btw, when its hidden inside the ceiling, there is nothing in front of it, its not actually in an object.. i placed them inside an inward extrude

Get some recessed downlights here:

http://www.erco.com/products/download/others/downloaddaten-3992/en/dltut-1.php?aktion=nop&sprache=en&dir=40_planning_luminaire/63_max/00005_complete

The ies distribution which comes with these models just sits slightly below the actual model not shoved in the ceiling. That on account of it (the ies distribution) being a representation of the actual physical interaction between the illuminant and the lamp geometry; ie, lenses, reflectors and opening, etc.

With recessed lighting you need higher settings as most of the samples are being trapped inside the recess.

The iray render works because it is able to solve more samples outside the recess.

So place your lights right on the edge of the recess and make sure it is pointing in the right direction. Use Photons, shoot many photons with a small radius and few photons per sample Have a high trace depth to allow the photons to bounce around in the tight areas. The FG can be low, and leave the bounces to 0 .

You may need to play with the lights Energy settings.

jhv

thnx for the reply justin, ill try later, im rendering something now.. i tried with gi too. with settings, average photons per light 4M, max photons per sample 4000 and sampling radius 2cm.. i tried up to 30cm but couldnt get any good result.. ill post wireframe shots of the scene later..

Your sampling size should relate to the detail in the model, ie a large empty room with large flat surfaces then use a large radius and a room with small, tight detail, recesses and objects then a small radius is needed to get light into those recesses.

your sample radius should determine how many photons per sample you should use, ie a large sample size will need more photons per sample to get a detailed solution, a small radius will need proportionality fewer photons per sample to get a detailed solution. However you will need to shoot more photons per light to get good coverage.

You will get a more detailed solution using a small radius and many photons than you will with a large radius and fewer photons.

Just did a little test,

One thing I did come across was the FG interpolation methode, If I used the default Number of FG points, then the underside of the bulkhead got light leaks, but using the Old, Radius interpolation cleaned this up. BUT for some reason some of the buckets didn't interpolate properly???? I think its a bug

Anyway this is a screen grab

Recess Lighting.jpg

Recess Lighting_FG Interpolation.jpg

Edited by Justin Hunt

Ok I got a bit carried away :) ended up using some numbers I typical would not use but I like the results and the render times were acceptable.

To solve the interpolation problem I increased the FG density. Normally I dont go above 0.8 for density as going higher adds heaps to render times, but by dropping the number of rays per sample the calculation time was kept under control.

Also played with the materials and added four down lights

Recess Lighting_FG high Density.jpg

Recess Lighting_FG high Density_render.jpg

hehehe thanks a lot man :D it looks great ill try it now and show u the result.. i tried max radius of 330cm and min 33cm but it didnt do much good and i had soo much samples and photons :) ill try it with ur settings..

btw why is there light right below the counter? i guess u used a shiny material and its reflecting to the floor right?

Downloaded the file and had a play.

I simplified the lighting setup and adjusted some of the light settings. I ended up deleting the portal light as it was mucking up the photon emission for some reason.

Its not perfect but a start :)

PM me your email and I'll send you the adjusted max file

jhv

Kitchen.jpg