nkhn

I design event stages & stuff & tend to use a lot of lights & reflective materials. Also the venues are sometimes huge so that means lots of light. How can I improve my render time?

p.s. I use max 2009 & vray on a 64 bit machine. The IT guy told me that if I used max 2011/13 my render time would improve because they have been made for 64 bits. Is this true?

Render time can be improved many ways. You can change the primary or secondary bounce settings, noise parameters, AA settings... Or buy a better a pc.

I dont know if you can use a 32bit max on a 64bit OS, but if the answer is yes and you use max 9 32bit, than no more than 4gigs will be used every time you start rendering. No matter how good your pc is, a 32bit software will not use more than 4gb ram. So if you have more, a 64bit max would be a great deal for you.

I recommend 2013, it's better in many ways than max 9 or 2011. Max 2012 is almost the same as 2013, it has everything as the 2013, but in max 2013 many thing were fixed compared to the previous version.

Edited by krisztiangulyas

I don't think you have to use every single light that is in your design. Especially because you have experience in this genre you can add many lighting effects in post based on aesthetic criteria that will show off your design to best advantage.

Look at architectural photography. They bright in extra lights, reflectors, diffusers, etc. and then do heavy Photoshop to make a space look good BUT is has to be done in a way that looks natural.