Problems with FBX format in 3ds 2013

janfritsdal

I have a strange problem, which have set me back quite a bit in my work.

I use Revit2013 for the building design and the FBX format for importing the model into3ds 2013 and uses Vray Adv 2.30.01 for rendering.

The problem occurs when I shut down 3ds and restart it, the rendering becomes white and duringthe render its red (prepass).

First I thought it had something to do with Gamma, but changing values from 1 – 2.2 didn’t do anything. In the end I have tried the elimination method and by removing the fbx link, the render turns right again. Restarting the computer and opening up the program without the fbx model and the rendering was working as it should.

I have then been using the Revit model rvt directly into 3ds and this have been working fine, but I rather use the fbx format, because its faster to import and I can limited my model import by using Section Box in Revit. (Rvt format will not always import to 3ds)

I haven't had the problem in the 2012 version of Revit and 3ds(Vray 1.5)

Anyone knows what to do about the fbx link problem?

Edited by janfritsdal

I'd stick with the Revit link over FBX. Revit link obeys whatever you set in your chosen 3D view so you can absolutely use the selection boxes or what not to just import what you want. But that's just a preference in our workflow so we don't have to keep exporting to FBX, linking directly to Revit saves an extra step where something could go wrong.

It sounds like you may have a material going haywire. Are you 100% sure you have removed all Revit materials? Revit uses Autodesk's awful Pro Materials and those don't always play well with Vray. What happens when you render with a gray vray material override? Does the problem go away? If so, it's a material. If not, then it's an object. What happens if you bind your FBX link into your max file? Does it fix the issue? I know you want to keep a live link, but just try binding it to remove the FBX link as a possible cause.

Thanks Scott for the reply.You were right about you comment regarding Revit vs. Vray materials. I loaded the FBX format file into 3ds, selected all and added a simple white Vray material to make sure that all the materials in the model would be in Vray.Then I added the materials wanted for the model and made a render which looked fine – no errors. Restarting the computer and rendering again in 3ds when just fine. Relinking the Revit FBX model a few times didn’t create any problems – just making sure that the changes would be applied with a Vray material.

Now I just need a hair cut to get rid of the grey hairs… :cool:

One of the reasons for not always using Rvt as direct link into 3ds is, that larger models will not load into 3ds – it keeps on “connecting to Revit” and doesn’t get any further. FBX is a lot faster for some reason. I don’t think I lack in computer power – running a Dell Precision with Xeon processor and Nvidia Quadro 2000 graphics card.

Thanks again Scott – it was a big help.

-Jan Fritsdal, Denmark

Edited by janfritsdal