Freelance Rendering, How much to charge?

c0nfused2

For the animation alone you can start @ 100$/sec. That would mean 6000$. By the way your stills are very good, if you provide that quality for your animation, don't be afraid to charge minimum 100 euros/sec. On top of that charge something for the modelling because 4 different spaces is alot. If the scene is that big...couple thousand euros. It's hard to judge but it looks like a 10k+Euros project you have there!

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Olivier,

I am from India. Please go through the following link to see my quality. I charge $75/ image to Indian clients. I produce same quality which you see below in the link..https://www.facebook.com/mohammed.gahlot/media_set?set=a.3304459417060.2135242.1435240612&type=3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This is a great topic with a lot of frustaration about fair pay. I've been in graphics on and off for more than 10y. I've started in a studio then went freelance and eventually bankrupt :) hehe no not really bankrupt but rather switched job to other type because competition was so fierce that it just became unviable at the time. For all this time off work I was still learning new stuff and doing it in my free time for fun.

Recently I've been doing some little side modeling jobs of furniture but not the whole projects and I wonder how much would you guys charge hourly for creating a very highly detailed (including all maps color, normal, and so on) model similar in complexity to the ones below?

fotel-chelsea-pikowany.jpgfotel-pikowany-bez-m.jpg

Would love to know if people really charge extra......my experience is that I cant really charge more because the client need bespoke furniture...I would charge a bit more for this type client but it does not make up for the time on a furn piece really, but in a sense you charge a bit more because the jobs are always more complex and I get regular work from them. Time spent on modeling furniture vs time spent on modeling the rest of the project doesn't make sense because it always eats up so much time modeling furniture. But I can also not charge what that chair is worth because no one would be able to afford it. I sure wont pay for furniture modeling in normal circumstances....rather bite the bullet and do it myself.

Would love to know if people really charge extra......my experience is that I cant really charge more because the client need bespoke furniture...I would charge a bit more for this type client but it does not make up for the time on a furn piece really, but in a sense you charge a bit more because the jobs are always more complex and I get regular work from them. Time spent on modeling furniture vs time spent on modeling the rest of the project doesn't make sense because it always eats up so much time modeling furniture. But I can also not charge what that chair is worth because no one would be able to afford it. I sure wont pay for furniture modeling in normal circumstances....rather bite the bullet and do it myself.

Yeah I get your point but it is from the project perspective so you get paid for the whole thing, BUT lets just say client comes to you and wants just a model of a chair, how much per hour would you charge him?

Edited by mitthrawnuruodo

I wouldn't pay more than $40 for each of those pieces. I would only buy them if I was in a real pinch and had to have that furniture in my scene within the hour. While the price seems low you have to understand that everyone out there sells furniture models these days, so it is a market that is much more skewed to the buyer than the seller.

The reality is those types of furniture are one-off types. You can use them in only a very select few of your projects so I wouldn't want to spend money on a prop that will collect digital dust in my model library. If you want to sell furniture, make it something that can be re-used in a lot of projects.

Where I used to work we did charge extra if the client wanted very specific furniture for their space. However, this was pre-bubble when clients had a ton of extra cash around and were willing to part with it just for a goofy hyper modern chair that looks as if it would make your left side of your face go numb as soon as you sat in it.

I wouldn't pay more than $40 for each of those pieces. I would only buy them if I was in a real pinch and had to have that furniture in my scene within the hour. While the price seems low you have to understand that everyone out there sells furniture models these days, so it is a market that is much more skewed to the buyer than the seller.

The reality is those types of furniture are one-off types. You can use them in only a very select few of your projects so I wouldn't want to spend money on a prop that will collect digital dust in my model library. If you want to sell furniture, make it something that can be re-used in a lot of projects.

Where I used to work we did charge extra if the client wanted very specific furniture for their space. However, this was pre-bubble when clients had a ton of extra cash around and were willing to part with it just for a goofy hyper modern chair that looks as if it would make your left side of your face go numb as soon as you sat in it.

Hypoteticaly lets say you are the one creating the model and someone needs this specific type, how much/h then? Being a buyer is very different then the creator so that's why I'm asking for your price and not your generocity :)

• 3 months later...

Our basic single house render is £229 / $345 for a single camera view. Thats our bread and butter render.

If the client has only hand drawn plans and we have to work from these then its £259 / $389.

We are doing a project at the moment with 14 houses. The 14 house birds eye of this development is £470 / $700. We did have to give a discount to get this job though, normal rates 20% higher for this work.

Check us out at http://www.my3dhouse.com

We work with a shopping cart system and client area with upload/download and private messaging.

There is a market for every operator - please don't knock what we do and prices we charge. No fancy offices and low overheads to pay for, we keep it real. We are happy!

The CGI market here in the UK is competitive and unless your clients are blue chip builders and high end developers you'll never get the work at high prices. We work with small developers and architects who are very happy with our work and communication.

p4.jpg

We would charge £229 / $345 for the above single house render

p7.jpeg

This interior would again be £229 / $345 provided we use our own furniture library. Bespoke furniture is obviously more.

• 2 weeks later...
Our basic single house render is £229 / $345 for a single camera view. Thats our bread and butter render.

If the client has only hand drawn plans and we have to work from these then its £259 / $389.

We are doing a project at the moment with 14 houses. The 14 house birds eye of this development is £470 / $700. We did have to give a discount to get this job though, normal rates 20% higher for this work.

We work with a shopping cart system and client area with upload/download and private messaging.

There is a market for every operator - please don't knock what we do and prices we charge. No fancy offices and low overheads to pay for, we keep it real. We are happy!

The CGI market here in the UK is competitive and unless your clients are blue chip builders and high end developers you'll never get the work at high prices. We work with small developers and architects who are very happy with our work and communication.

p4.jpg

p7.jpeg

This interior would again be £229 / $345 provided we use our own furniture library. Bespoke furniture is obviously more.

Mate, your work is good you should be charging double this as a minimum. I'm not knocking your process but for a render similar to your exterior the going rate in Australia/Canada and Sweden is anywhere from 2500 - 4000 euro.

Mate, your work is good you should be charging double this as a minimum. I'm not knocking your process but for a render similar to your exterior the going rate in Australia/Canada and Sweden is anywhere from 2500 - 4000 euro.

Which part of Canada is that and I'll move there. C$2500-4000 (1600-2700 euro) is what visualizers charge for a multi-story/ multi-family (something like 200 units condo) render.

Stephen, for your $345 image-does that include revisions? How do you deal with revisions?

p4.jpg

p7.jpeg

That seems awfully 'good value'. How long did they take you and what does that equate to as an hourly rate? And as Dan asks how do you prevent brief-creep? Or the 'just' question - 'Can you just move the window 2 pixels to the left', 'Can I just see that purple a little less purplier'.

Which part of Canada is that and I'll move there. C$2500-4000 (1600-2700 euro) is what visualizers charge for a multi-story/ multi-family (something like 200 units condo) render.

Stephen, for your $345 image-does that include revisions? How do you deal with revisions?

€800 - €900 would more like be it in Norway for an exterior like that. Ukrainian, Hungarian and other eastern european people are going all in and selling similar quality for €200.

1600-2700 euros? I can't see why Canada should be any different. Seriously, can you bill your clients with such prices? Then just wait until they enter your markets as well.

Anyway, that doesn't mean we should or can dump our prices like that. We need to keep the business going, and we also need to keep the value of our work. We need to pay licenses, we need to pay for expanding libraries and new hardware. We also need to calculate in changes, like moving that window, correcting colors. These things takes TIME. And time is money for everyone not desperate for "getting that project or die". You'll end up in dying anyway, because you have to work 24/7. For the prices the threadstarter mentions, for a developed western european country, that's just horrible! You could double the price mate and still get projects. If you can't get projects on that, please ask clients for a meeting to convince them - start a selling process like every other branch.

Edited by chroma

I think it matters the clients that you are working for, and what buying power they have.Maybe you can achieve this price range with good quality but you have to be in touch with the "right people" and a good branding.

p4.jpg

p7.jpeg

How many revisions do you provide? Do you use only the models from library or model custom furniture based on customer requests? I think the price is way too low...

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
I usually charge 300 AUD (219 USD) for a 3d image. I dont know that price is expensive or cheap. With the images I make, please tell me, what is a reasonable price? Thank you.

My website: http://soopixel.com

140811DS-VL-267589-3d-architectural-rendering.jpg

Copenhagen-Apartment-664964-3d-interior-rendering.jpg

Manor-Apartment-266854-3d-interior-rendering.jpg

Pevensey-St-CANLEY-VALE-459967-3d-architectural-rendering.jpg

You sell your work way too cheap. In Canada it would sell for at least 1500$ CAD per image. But I don't know maybe where you are it's not possible. Very good work.

Edited by philippelamoureux