Revit to 3ds Max VRay workflow.

philvanderloo

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I am so surprised to read about the difficulties of the Revit to 3dmax to Vray workflow, Revit has been getting so much buzz lately that it is being considered for migration at the office but we already have a great Acad-3dmax-Vray workflow going on, and so maybe I will advise to halt on the Revit migration, as of 2014 the situation remains this bad?

I don't think it is any worse than Acad. If you are in a office that does design and wants renderings its not a bad way to go. Just be aware that it wont be perfect and you will have to spend some time fixing it up. For a simple interior I would probably just start from scratch, for an exterior the Revit geometry is usually fine and not much fixing is required.

Download the trial and try it for yourself. Revit is very fast at design, I think that is the main strength.

I usally use a custom maxscript to sort out the autodesk materials to vray which works perfectly. About importing cameras we usually ask the clients to save a revit file with just the views that are required for rendering with all the objects deleted. We then run a revit routine to save each 3d view as a seperate revit file. After which a 3dsmax script imports all the revit files with the cameras and changes them into vray. Maxscript also helps us if you require to change the lights to revit lights and organize layers.

• 3 weeks later...