Slow Render settings

erlendhorndal

Hi.

Im working on a project, and Im trying to render out this interior scene. It has quite a few vray lights, and all materials are vray. The problem is that I`m new to v-ray, and not comfortable with the settings, and what all of them do yet.

I`m hoping someone can tell which setting here is overkill. My computer was finished with pass 6 of 6 after 6-7 hours, and the rendring prosess looked like it would take days.

Here is the scene, and settings:

Settings.jpg

My computer spec is:

Intel® Core™ i7 cpu 870 @ 2.93 ghz (8cpu)

8 gb Ram

GeForce gtx 460 - 1gb ram

Erlend H

Try Area 1.5 AA filter

Adaptive DMC sampler max 100 is too much, try 4-6.

For the more realistic look, switch to Linear multiply under vray color mapping tab

Irradiance map max rate 1 is enough (if the output resolution is fullHD)

Hsph. subdiv 50-60 (or a bit more, but I dont think you need more than 80)

Interp. subdivs 20-30

Turn off pre-filter under light cache (I dont think you need it now)

Vray DMC sampler min subdivs 6-10

With these settings your rendering will be faster, but it wont look better no matter how good the image quality is, if your materials and lights look fake/unnatural.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi.

Im working on a project, and Im trying to render out this interior scene. It has quite a few vray lights, and all materials are vray. The problem is that I`m new to v-ray, and not comfortable with the settings, and what all of them do yet.

I`m hoping someone can tell which setting here is overkill. My computer was finished with pass 6 of 6 after 6-7 hours, and the rendring prosess looked like it would take days.

Here is the scene, and settings:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]50409[/ATTACH]

My computer spec is:

Intel® Core™ i7 cpu 870 @ 2.93 ghz (8cpu)

8 gb Ram

GeForce gtx 460 - 1gb ram

Erlend H

why do you have dynamic memory limit set 400MB if you have 8GB RAM?

• 4 weeks later...
I was told once that in "Irradiance Map" the Max Rate mustn't be positive.

Try changing it to -1

You can set it to positive values, however for each positive number that imap will be rendered at double the resolution of your frame. For example, if you are rendering at 800x800. At the +1 pass your imap will be 1600x1600, then at the +2 pass your imap will be 3200x3200. Can you see how long this will take, especially if your target render size is already large?

Negative vales cut the resolution by half each time, which is why they are supremely recommend. A value of 0 will create the imap at your render resolution.

And the conclusion of the above I can apply a positive value, like +5, and save that imap to save up time for future renders.

How over, I never understood how this apply in animations.

Can a imap file contain info for more then one frame? Or is it calculating the whole scene?

And the conclusion of the above I can apply a positive value, like +5, and save that imap to save up time for future renders.

Can a imap file contain info for more then one frame? Or is it calculating the whole scene?

Nope, you understood it the other way round. Positive values would take more time.

For animations you can save the Imap to a file but it must be set to "multiframe incremental" mode and in common parameters set the every nth frame to 5 or 10 (depending on the speed the camera is moving). Doing this would calculate the Imap of the animation for every 5th or 10th frame..

http://help.chaosgroup.com/vray/help/150SP1/tutorials_imap2.htm

http://www.timsportfolio.co.uk/tutorials/vray-gi/

It sounds like you are getting that confused with how you set the light cache for animations. LC for animations set to fly through mode need to be set at a higher resolution than your stills to cover the entire distance of the camera path.

You would NEVER want to set it to +5. Look at the example again from my previous post. My post was to show that positive values can be used at the expense of overly large imap sizes and insane render times.

Again, assume you are rendering a 1080 animation. So your frame size is 1920x1080, assume you set your min max to -2/+5. Your concurrent imap sizes would be:

-2 = 480 x 270

-1 = 960 x 540

0 = 1920 x 1080

+1 = 3840 x 2160

+2 = 7680 x 4320

+3 = 15360 x 8640

+4 = 30720 x 17280

+5 = 61440 x 34560

Javier's post is how you do imaps for animated frames where only the camera is moving.

So does it mean I can render a 1920/1080 image with +3 max value, save the imap and save time when rendering 15k image?

Also, can I use the same imap if I make changes to objects in scene?

For example minor changes in the architecture structure and moving trees/cars around the scene?

So does it mean I can render a 1920/1080 image with +3 max value, save the imap and save time when rendering 15k image?

Also, can I use the same imap if I make changes to objects in scene?

For example minor changes in the architecture structure and moving trees/cars around the scene?

Why on Earth would you need a 15k Imap?

No, never to both of your questions. You might be able to get away with moving this slightly, but be ready to see render errors and dark splotches randomly popping up if you do. Think of the Imap as paint shot from the camera that dries into place. Whatever it coats, that's the light information applied to that object. If that object moves, then the saved Imap's coating won't line up with the object's location.

You pretty much almost always want to use NEGATIVE values. My examples are simply there to point out what is going on under the hood when your Imap is calculating, not as advice to render out ridiculously large Imaps. You won't save any time anyways. Because that 15k light map is going to take many many many hours to render. Where as if you just render the 15k image normally with normal Imap settings, probably -3/-5 since you are rendering so large you can get away with lower imap numbers. You'll save literally hours of rendering if you render it out in the normal fashion, time in which you can fully read up on Imaps and their settings.

I've never seen a situation where an Imap was needed that was as large or larger than the target render size, unless you were rendering really small images like less than 512x512. If you need that much detail, render out an AO pass and save yourself some time. Another thing to remember that as your Imap increases in resolution, so does the fine noise. The noise becomes finer therefore it becomes much easier to see.

When dealing with noise, rather than just jack up your imap resolutions, check your Hsph and Interp samples.

You generally want to be around 20-50 Hsph and 20-100 Interp samples. Start with 20 Hsph, and gradually increase your interp samples until you reach 100. If you still see noise, set your Hsph to 30 and gradually increase your interp again. There is no secret sauce for this as we all have different needs and different visible noise thresholds for our renders.