I've absolutely had it with this 'industry'

joebloggs

I have a bachelor's in architecture. I've worked for some large architecture companies and some large viz studios. I currently freelance, both directly for architects and for big name viz studios. I have tried to be a fulltime freelancer in the past and it didn't work out very well. Right now the thing that kills me is trying to freelance on top of my day job. I love this art that we do, but because of my choices in location, and other things. Freelancing has become very strenuous. The money is seldom worth my nights and weekends, and I often feel hopeless.

I've been able to transition my technical aptitude into GIS development and currently work at a tech start up developing logistics technology along the U.S./Mexico border. The understanding of geospatial concepts no doubt comes from my ability in drafting, architecture and 3d. There is also a huge technical component that most of us have that I don't think we realize. Being able to apply creative solutions to technical problems seems to be a pretty uncommon skill. Do I have my dream job? not really. But, I do find it exciting, there is no one else in the world doing what we're doing. I know that because we meet with government agencies on a regular basis and they say "This is really cool! No one else is doing this!"

I am at an okay place now. Screw deadlines and all that other stuff. My passion for 3d is MY passion once again. I get to goof around in zBrush when I get home or rig up some character that I sketched out and modeled. Maybe I'll pick up a freelance job if it pays well or is very interesting. It's my life, and I get to pick where I spend my effort. If someone isn't going to give me fair return, then screw it. I've got better things to do and I'm pretty damn smart, so someone out there will make it worth my time. I got into arch. viz because I was passionate about architecture and 3d, and the profession kind of beat that out of me. So I took it back, and they can't have it anymore. :)

Hang in there Joe, and keep pressing forward. You've got a unique skill set. I'm not talking about lighting, texturing and rendering. You are a creative problem solver. You understand technical issues from a very unique point of view. You've got the ability to plan out a project, meet deadlines and ensure that it traverses the various stages of the pipeline. You've got an intense work ethic that does what it takes to get the job done. It may take some time to get where you want to be, or to make the switch to another industry, but don't lose hope all together. The world is an abundant place.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic