Antialiasing problem? and more

nickholmes

Hi, it's a pleasure of being in this community, with people that share one of my passions, rendering architecture!

Thanks for your time!

I am having some problems rendering with vray:

1)I cant figure out if it is a antialiasing problem but as you see, the superior edge line of the black marble wall starts pixelating when reachs darker parts

The attached image show this problem clearly

2) I also have a problem with the hdri... they are extremely dark and the only solution that i've thought is changing the render multiplier to 20 to reach a normal level of brightness.

The most strange thing of all is that if i use vray sun with it's default vray sky as environment only this problem doesnt' happens, so i don't think that it might be a camera problem.

I set the vray phis. camera with a f number value of 8, and a shutter and film speed of aprox. 120.

3) I have to set up vraylight material and ies lights to extremely high values of power (around 30000) or i wont see them when rendering. This might be related with the previous problem.

4)My last problem: If i put 5 3d trees models the rendering time gets eternal... days.. is it normal?

Please excuse me for the long post and the bad english.

I'm trying to finish this soon so i can show it in my curriculum vitae.

Thanks for the attention

example.jpg

Edited by nickholmes

Hi, it's a pleasure of being in this community, with people that share one of my passions, rendering architecture!

Thanks for your time!

I am having some problems rendering with vray:

1)I cant figure out if it is a antialiasing problem but as you see, the superior edge line of the black marble wall starts pixelating when reachs darker parts

The attached image show this problem clearly

What type of sampling are you using? It looks like it might be Adaptive Subdivision. If so set it to Adaptive DMC

2) I also have a problem with the hdri... they are extremely dark and the only solution that i've thought is changing the render multiplier to 20 to reach a normal level of brightness.

The most strange thing of all is that if i use vray sun with it's default vray sky as environment only this problem doesnt' happens, so i don't think that it might be a camera problem.

I set the vray phis. camera with a f number value of 8, and a shutter and film speed of aprox. 120.

Typical. HDRI's are not set up properly. HDRI's in arch viz are mainly used as a way to create color and variance in the GI portion of a light solution. They are almost never physically correct in intensity.

3) I have to set up VrayLight material and ies lights to extremely high values of power (around 30000) or i wont see them when rendering. This might be related with the previous problem.

Typical. It all depends on the exposure settings in your camera. IES are rarely used to give physically correct intensity, they are mainly used to give a more accurate representation of correct dispersment of light

4)My last problem: If i put 5 3d trees models the rendering time gets eternal... days.. is it normal?

This is also fairly common but there are solutions.

To start off with, if you were rendering with adaptive subdivisions in your sample settings then see what the render time is after switching to Adaptive DMC.

If that doesn't solve the problem then there is probably translucency on the leaves that is causing the problem. Still rendering slow? Check to see if leaves have reflection. If it is still to slow for you liking then make sure the leaves are not using opacity maps. Also, make sure the bark does not have a displacement map on it.

Please excuse me for the long post and the bad english.

I'm trying to finish this soon so i can show it in my curriculum vitae.

Thanks for the attention

..........messages in red above.

..........messages in red above.

I've changed to adaptative dmc as you said and it went much better. I've also set the min subdivs to 5 and the max to 15, just an arbitrary set that worked. Before it was set as 1 min subdivs and 5 max, as i was taught. The rendering time increased a lot but the problem was solved. Do you suggest me another adaptative dmc setting to get a faster rendering time?

Thank you for answering my doubts!

Edited by nickholmes