Ebola in Texas

Devin Johnston

Jeeez - I don't know who is telling you this but.... AFAIK (and I've been within about 15 miles of an outbreak in Africa years ago) Ebola is one of the most transmissible of diseases. It's only major shortcoming when it comes to its potential as a global pandemic, is that it debilitates and then kills its carriers so quickly and effectively that this reduces its ability to spread itself around the world.

The very last thing I would be - is complacent about Ebola, the incredibly courageous volunteers and doctors who help the victims are wearing full body suits, facemasks and breathing filters and yet some still get infected, so for someone to suggest that contagion is nothing much to worry about seems (to me at least) to be grossly irresponsible. I would be extremely concerned about Ebola making it to the shores of the US where air travel presents it with the potential to spread rapidly enough to become a major event. Fortunately for me - that 15 miles years ago - equated to 2 days travelling in that part of the Africa, even in my 4x4, but 2 days travelling out of Houston Airport......!

I really dont know anything about ebola beyond what Ive heard in the news lately. Seems like the tabloids are saying this has the potential to spread like wildfire and the more sensible news sources are saying its not a panic button situation. Panic sells papers.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Even if they tell us that the virus can't spread without direct contact, i think that there must be something different this time... if you compare the numbers of infections alone. From the beginning in 1976 to 2013 there were close to 3000 infections (official). In the new case in 2014 we already have more than 7500 infections in only a few weeks!

And there are scientist who say that it is highly expected that Ebola can be spread via aerosols

http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2014/09/commentary-health-workers-need-optimal-respiratory-protection-ebola

http://www.naturalnews.com/046986_ebola_airborne_transmission_respirators.html#

And canadian scientist have seen transmission between pigs and apes

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-20341423

And one remarkable sidenote: the info about the transmission of ebola at the website of the Public Health Agency of Canada has been changed a few weeks ago. The part about the airborne spread has been removed...

http://www.infowars.com/canadian-health-agency-deletes-info-on-airborne-spread-of-ebola/

Why?

And then there is the pending patent of a ebola strain called EboBun (Ebola Bundibugyo)

http://www.google.com/patents/CA2741523A1?cl=en

Why would they patent a special Ebola strain?!?

I think we'll see it spread; panic comes up; then they will allow or order the use of an untested vaccination!

edit:

...and btw. coincidentially the victim was from Texas... The Texas Biomedical research institute Texas is one of the biggest Ebola research centers in the USA http://www.txbiomed.org/departments/virology

And coincidentially a scientist (Eric R. Pianka) had a speech to the Texas Academy of Science in 2006 in which he advocated the need to exterminate 90% of the population and that an airborne ebola virus would be very sufficiant to do this - better than AIDS because of its faster kill period...

http://www.prisonplanet.com/articles/april2006/040406_b_depopulation.htm

http://reason.com/blog/2006/04/03/to-save-the-planet-kill-90-per

Edited by numerobis

The whole ebola thing is a conspiracy instigated by the hazmat suit industry.

My other swimming buddy works for Kimberly-Clark who manufacture medical equipment (think everything from Kleenex tissues (which they invented in 1926) to surgical gauze and everything in between).

He says they make a major killing every time there is an epidemic scare. They're probably high-five-ing each other and popping corks with the news of this new case.

So are we going to start wearing rubber gloves 24/7 the way we wear shoes? We're going to start seeing them in designer patterns from Prada (and Walmart).

@Devin -

There's no problem there ;)

I forgot this is Texas we're talking about. :D

Edited by heni30

Fear spreads faster than disease. But when the first contagion of Ebola outside west Africa, where the disease has killed 3,400 people since March, struck in Madrid on October 6th locals worried not just about its proliferation but also about the competence of their health authorities. The first victim is a 44-year-old hospital worker

http://www.economist.com/blogs/charlemagne/2014/10/ebola-spain?fsrc=scn/fb/wl/bl/europesfirstebolavictim

Well, it's surely here as well now.

So 10 minutes ago I go to the Dunkin Donuts drive thru - order a coffee - then drive up to the window to pay.

As the girl working there is bringing my coffee I notice she's kinda low energy and she starts coughing and becomes self conscious and tries to cough off to the side.

I'm telling you, the frickin' media, I find myself trying to remember if coughing is one of the Ebola symptoms - totally spontaneously. I'm not the paranoid type but I find myself wondering - what if she coughed into the coffee?

I guess the more scared we get the more we're going to the news to get more information so the more they play it up to make more $$$.

It's kind of scary - the media, not Ebola. Well, that too.

Edited by heni30

All of the stat's about previous transmission rates are irrelevant to today. As soon as Ebola hits an airport then we'll see a completely different infection rate.

As I mentioned earlier, the parts of Africa it harks from are far more inaccessible than we generally believe still exists in this day and age. For example we literally averaged 8 miles per day for over a month when crossing what was then Zaire (Now Democratic Republic of Congo) and not much quicker, through the Central African Republique. We would have been quicker walking but fortunately Ebola stops people walking very quickly therefore your statistics don't give you any real indication of how quickly it would spread.

As we all know Houston airport is one of the more major travel hubs in the world, with the wrong set of circumstances it could be at all points of the map in just one day.

Scary!

Friend of mine is in the 'zone' (Liberia, Monrovia) since before all hell got loose. She now started a blog.

http://lifeinthetimeofebola.wordpress.com/

It's a prelude to a War. It is love no more. Remember the flu, the plague, chicken pox... nature will find it's way to a healthy selection. Even a broken bone meant certain death. Now many of you think health & peace belongs to you. We owe it all to the anonymus before us.

Have no fear, just take care of your body, soul & mind. Stay good, stay healthy.

Nurse from second visit infected:

"The worker was involved in Duncan's second visit to the hospital, when he was admitted for treatment, and was wearing protective gear as prescribed by the CDC -- gown, gloves, mask and shield, Varga said."

There's another confirmed case in Dallas today, that makes two that have it now and the head of the hospital says they expect many more. Tell me again why it was a bad idea to restrict travel from Ebola hot zones? I stopped listening to the administration when they started saying they were concerned it would negatively affect those countries economies. As if that should be a major consideration when trying to stop an epidemic that could grow into a pandemic!

There's another confirmed case in Dallas today, that makes two that have it now ...

I say this as an observation on the transmissibility of the disease rather than a dig at the poor buggers involved. But if I were climbing into a positive pressure suit and mask and gloves and Boots and Breathing apparatus to deal with somebody that I knew had a killer disease I would be extra bloody careful with everything I touched and especially pedantic about how I disrobed from all of that gear afterwards (that's assuming I had the cahones to get within a mile in the first place) to make damn sure I didn't expose myself to that disease.... I assume that they will have had the same mindset and yet these poor people are still getting it. That's why I think we shouldn't underestimate this disease.

In Australia the vapid media is mocking a politician for suggesting 3 weeks quarantine for anyone travelling from those affected countries. But I dunno if that's such a dumb idea.

''for anyone travelling from those affected countries''...well that is the thing, people are going to lie about it...if you ban or caranteen people from certain countries then people will travel to neighbour countries first to take a flight to the U.S. or Europe....an it is cheaper for them since they can not afford direct flights...Incubation period is 21 days..plenty of time to spread it around...if it is out of control I guess the government would suspend all air and sea traffic

''for anyone travelling from those affected countries''...well that is the thing, people are going to lie about it...if you ban or caranteen people from certain countries then people will travel to neighbour countries first to take a flight to the U.S.

They would still have passport stamp from original country, I don't think such technicalities would pose a problem.

Tell me again why it was a bad idea to restrict travel from Ebola hot zones? I stopped listening to the administration when they started saying they were concerned it would negatively affect those countries economies

Seems to be really just that, triangle of Ethics, Economy and finally 'our' safety. Looks like a headache for the leaders to solve.

But from practical standpoint I've read almost any quarantine/hard lock solution on our side is eventually futile compared to direct action at the place of origin, which....doesn't seem quite attractive for anyone to do right now.

'''They would still have passport stamp from original country''...yes, but Immigration doesnt check the entire passport for stamps, maybe they have to...they check the data page and the U.S. /EU Visa ... the guy in Texas lied about his exposure to ebula infected people.

''The second Dallas health care worker who contracted the Ebola virus was on a flight the day before her symptoms, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Wednesday.''' thats the issue ..Incubation period 2-21 days..2 days to fly around. according to experts talking to someone is enough because people basicly spit while talking, around 1 meter...why do we take infected people to the U.S. or Europe for treatment? Just because it is the better treatment?If doctors want to help in Africa , fine with me, but they should be in caranteen afterwards for a week. Indeed this is a problem for the leaders to solve but you know how they are...