Ebola in Texas

Devin Johnston

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I live in Texas where the first case of Ebola ever to unknowingly come to our shores surfaced two days ago. It was brought here by a man from Liberia who had just recently entered the country. Why we're still allowing flights into the US from African countries without at least testing these people is a decision no reasonable person will ever understand. What I find disturbing is that this man actually went to a hospital with symptoms and was sent home with some antibiotics. He spent a total of 4 days walking around symptomatic before he was quarantined. The CDC says that there are procedures in place to prevent this sort of thing from happening, and that there's a zero percent chance that anyone else was infected. I'm sorry but I'm calling total BS on this, unless the hospital is completely incompetent they should have identified this man as a potential carrier of the virus the first time he was admitted. If there are procedures in place wouldn't one of them be quarantining anyone who's recently traveled from an African country known to have and ongoing Ebola outbreak who's showing early signs of infection! Shouldn't he at least have been watched and tested before releasing him back into the population?

I think this is just the first of many such incidents we’re going to see of infected people not being properly handled. The only thing I am sure of is the absolute incompetence of government and public officials to handle what’s coming.

Uhm Im from Africa and there is no Ebola where I am.........Cant catch it from breathing air. Africa is pretty much the same size as the whole of the Americas, its a continent. Certain countries might have ebola not the whole of africa.

''''A nurse monitoring herself for Ebola symptoms broke travel restrictions and flew, U.S. doctors say. She now has Ebola and all passengers and crew on the plane are being traced.'''

Actually it turns out that she flew because she was told by the CDC that it was ok for her to do so. Anyone that ever wondered about the efficiency, professionalism and accuracy of government agencies only need to look at the handling of this mess. For all their talk about procedures and protocols and all the billions spent what we see is an agency that doesn't seem capable of handling even the smallest crisis.

I'm a sucker for conspiracy theories. There are many who stand to profit from a spread (or perceived spread) of the virus including the CDC who stands to assure it's budget isn't compromised and even gets increased. The director, however, isn't faring too well.

The protective gear for the nurses left their necks exposed which they had to tape with medical tape.

Duct tape to the rescue again!

Edited by heni30

Im not for or aghainst closing the door to prone countries, however, I can offer an opinion on the political fallout from doing so.

We have many border/immigration issues in the states and its quite a divisive issue. Law is based on precedent. Although ebola is scary and dangerous, these are qualitative calls - emotional responses, not quantifiable justification.

Many countries have many diseases. Rabies, polio etc. But they are not hot news items right now. If the government closed the doors to ebola countries, you'd set precedent for all the right wing crazies to launch law suits to get the borders closed to Mexico, based on any disease they could find that claims an equivalent number of lives. Would we then be forced to close the doors to malarial countries also?

Dont get me wrong, ebola gives me the willies, but its a problem that has to be dealt with within a broader context.

I'm against importing any diseases into this country, I don't think it's crazy for our population to be protected from them. Your right that Ebola's getting all the attention right now which is distracting from other diseases like Enterovirus D-68. Five children have died from it so far and it's recent emergence has bee attributed to the 50,000 South and Central American children that crossed over the border this summer. I'm not saying we should shut down legal immigration but I do think we need to be screening people before we let them in.

I don't get why the CDC didn't mandate that the workers involved in the initial ebola case had to be closely monitored for 21 days and no travel what so ever? Was it hubris? Stupidity? What's the level of intelligence of these people on the case? Oh, I had direct contact with the Ebola virus. I know, I'll go on a cruise. I'll hop on a plane with a fever and a cough and I just had direct contact with some who died from Ebola. Meh, on the plane I go.

This is how outbreaks happen. Now I get there would be screaming from the internet if they had mandated that all people in the initial case be quarantined for those 21 days. But isn't that logical? The first case of a virus that has spread quickly in another country comes on your shores. You treat the person but unfortunately, they die. Shouldn't you want to keep an eye on all of those who had contact with them for the incubation period of the virus? What's worse. Being inconvenienced for 3 weeks, or starting a massive viral outbreak and/or being dead?

The other thing I don't get is that it seems half the hospital had some involvement with the first case. In a situation like this, wouldn't you want the smallest team possible to minimize the amount of people exposed and therefore make it easier to monitor them?

The other thing that's a disservice is not stating explicitly how much, exactly, of a contact is enough to transmit. Will fine saliva spray from a conversation do it? Will a sweaty handshake do it? That would have been handy information for those nurses.

Let's get those lab monkeys/rats out now!

The stock for hazmat manufacturers has shot up.

Edited by heni30

I'm against importing any diseases into this country, I don't think it's crazy for our population to be protected from them. Your right that Ebola's getting all the attention right now which is distracting from other diseases like Enterovirus D-68.

And what about Montezuma's revenge? Maybe this one should be called Anansi's Revenge? :)

I'm now thinking that the whole Ebola thing could be another hoax after swine flu, H5N1 and SARS to scare and control people, to sell useless (and harmful) vaccinations without expensive testing (they already started testing on humans), to have a military base in west africa and maybe to hide the results of highly dosed vaccinations on people in africa...

The WHO admitted that only 31% of all Ebola patients have been tested (http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/official-us-response-to-ebola-hampered-by-lack-of-expertise-with-deadly-virus/2014/09/09/343e5cd8-385d-11e4-9c9f-ebb47272e40e_story.html) and even then the used testing methods are not really safe. And this whole test is quite complex and takes more than 24 hours - in a normal laboratory. So i think that the latest numbers of more than 10000 infected are really quite "unsafe". The problem is, that the symptoms are very similar to Malaria and other diseases.

And then there are these strange videos, where some people contact Ebola suspects without any protection while others come in complete hazmat suit:

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/video/10694842-why-no-protective-gear-for-man-with-dallas-ebola-patient/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UagMW5LsCvE#t=39

Do they know more?

And then this:

http://www.liberianobserver.com/security/breaking-formaldeyde-water-allegedly-causing-ebola-symptoms

http://www.realfarmacy.com/ebo-lie-man-living-ghana-confirms-ebola-hoax/

And WHY would Ebola only spread to the USA and Europe? There are close to 200 countries on this planet... this really makes no sense.

And btw. the same persons who "informed" us about the swine flu and SARS some years ago are still in charge at th WHO... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Chan

EboLIE?

Edited by numerobis

another hoax after swine flu, H5N1 and SARS

What's hoaxy about this though ? That panic wasn't adequate to outcome ?

"realfarmacy" Another conspiratory website against "farma-corp" promoting "real truth" and alternative "medicine". That's not reliable source I would say.

I've skimmed briefly through the story, and I don't think I've ever read such far-fetched lunatic fantasy. It basically disproves not just Ebola, but also Boko-Haram, and literally everything, all in very.."enthousiastic" tone of conveying how "really is". As tradition goes, without any logical argument or factual information.

And WHY would Ebola only spread to the USA and Europe?

But it did not spread to anywhere outside yet. US&EU cases where mostly cases of missionaries, and few doctors, who later contaminated the nurses. Enough to create panic but surely no an 'outbreak'.

the same persons who "informed" us about the swine flu and SARS some years ago are still in charge at th WHO... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Chan

What do you mean.. ? She was criticised for pasivness, because she did exactly opposite of necessary, she believed chinese goverment that there is "no issue".

EboLIE?

No.

Anyway, not everything is so bleak.

http://www.economist.com/news/middle-east-and-africa/21626788-lessons-nigeria-not-necessarily-death-sentence?fsrc=scn/fb/wl/bl/notnecessary

Edited by RyderSK

Obviously it is not a joke:

'''' A Doctors Without Borders physician who recently returned to New York from West Africa has tested positive for the Ebola virus, becoming the first diagnosed case in the city, authorities said late Thursday. The doctor, identified as Craig Spencer, 33, came back from treating Ebola patients in Guinea October 17 and developed a fever.Dr. Mary Travis Bassett, New York City's health commissioner, said Spencer completed his work in Guinea on October 12 and left Africa two days later via Europe. '''

thank you Craig Spencer, you couldnt wait 10 days huh? you have to fly straight home in plane with 400 other people. You want to help, nice, but wait 21 days before you return.

''''Spencer, who is hospitalized in intensive care, went for a jog, may have gone to a restaurant, traveled the city's vast subway system and went bowling before feeling ill, but authorities stressed that the likelihood of him spreading the virus was low.'''

Good job Craig!

''''On his Facebook page, Spencer posted a photo of himself in protective gear. The page indicates he went to Guinea around September 18 and later to Brussels in mid October. "Off to Guinea with Doctors Without Borders (MSF)"'''

Holiday trip huh Craig, well, guess u learned something the hard way!

'''The doctor began feeling sluggish a couple of days ago, but it wasn't until Thursday, when he developed 100.3-degree fever, that he contacted Doctors Without Borders, authorities said.'''

Craig, please go back to Med school! How can you even wait a couple of days?

Seems like in good scenario he couldn't infect anyone in early stages as there is very little of the virus in body yet.

But still...maybe those protocols (MSF states he followed them) sucks and this event will stir discussion towards quarantine measures.

"realfarmacy" Another conspiratory website against "farma-corp" promoting "real truth" and alternative "medicine". That's not reliable source I would say.

I've skimmed briefly through the story, and I don't think I've ever read such far-fetched lunatic fantasy. It basically disproves not just Ebola, but also Boko-Haram, and literally everything, all in very.."enthousiastic" tone of conveying how "really is". As tradition goes, without any logical argument or factual information.

So do you think the mainstream media network is more "reliable"? Everything they tell you must be the truth, because the majority is telling you the same? Did you follow the "balanced" reporting about the war in Ukraine over the last months? This was mostly pure propaganda here in germany with so many false reports without any prove that had been disconfirmed the next day or later, it is really incredible... and if you speak about logical arguments... there where so many things that really didn't make any sense - but it must be the truth, because it was on TV, right?

But if you want to believe the story, do it.

Maybe we'll know the truth in 10-20 years like it was with almost every false flag as reason for war of the last decades - or maybe not.

and btw. one explanation on CNN about the person not wearing the hazmat suit was, that you can't see much in these suits and he was there to guide the others... :D sounds logical, right?!?

Edited by numerobis

...Did you follow the "balanced" reporting about the war in Ukraine over the last months? This was mostly pure propaganda here in germany with so many false reports without any prove that had been disconfirmed the next day or later, it is really incredible... and if you speak about logical arguments... there where so many things that really didn't make any sense - but it must be the truth, because it was on TV, right?

OT:

Ukraina war, along with Serbo-Croat war is the shame for all Europians.

We are all one nation and brothers.

But as it is said, long time ago...

DIVIDE ET IMPERA!

Personally, I do not care to much for ebola, as I passed, like a lot of Serbs and Croats, through war, so nothing can make stressed anymore, in that way.

Except, ofcoure

UNHANDLED EXCEPTION ERROR!

ahahahahah

Just my 2cc...