Vray rendeing in the laptop

Hello

My laptop is DELL XPS that have 8GB of RAM (bus 1600) and 2GHZ core i7 CPU. It has dual graphics, Intel and Nvidia. Intel and Nvidia graphics have 64 MB and 2 GB of dedicated RAM, respectively. I've dedicated 20GB of drive C to paging space.

All my works are in single frame means I don't use 3ds max for animation. My main question is whether my Laptop is suitable for Vray rendering? Can I render any single frame using my laptop?

Recently, I modeled a rusty chair in a woody room which both had lots of displacements in Vray Mtl section. Those displacements were necessary to create rusty effects and realness in the chair and even in the woody room. When there are a lot of displacements in my scene the render becomes slower specially geometry and reycaster calculation which take place at first. I used windows task manager to see how much of RAM is free during using 3ds max. I noticed when I load my saved scene(mentioned before) it takes 5.25 GB of RAM and during the render RAM is completely fulled (in the stage of compiling the geometry and raycasting).

Do you think I'm able to render any type of single frame with this machine?

Is it safe for RAM to be completely fulled?

Unfortunately, Vray 3 doesn't support displacement in proxy mode and without displacement (in Mtl) my works lose their beauty and realness.

I ask these questions because I can't buy a desktop system with 64GB of RAM. It's so expensive in our country so, If I'm confined to a certain simple scenes I prefer to give up 3D world. In the attachment section, I attached one of my 3d Vray renders.

Please guide me.

Render.jpg

Edited by fardinazhari

hey man,

kudos on the cool displacement use on those balls, interesting effect although I can`t see it using so much RAM ...

While I can`t give you a clear answer I can say this:

I recently used my girlfriends laptop for a personal project of mine using v-ray. The laptop itself isn`t a 2014 rig, it has an i5 CPU and 4GB of RAM. I rendered out an arh-viz image in 2k resolution with lots of grass (over 2k instances / proxies of grass patches) with ease. So it certainly is doable as far as I am concerned :)

And no, you can use up to like 99% of your available RAM and the machine will still run. Going above that though will make your windows use your paging space on the hdd. That will make everything slow, I mean really slow :D

In the end I believe you can surely do great stuff with 8GB - really great stuff! If you are worried you can always keep your task manager open and keep an eye on those numbers ;) Besides, I know some really really great artists doing awesome fooliage / arch viz on 4GB specced computers. No limit if you do it right imo :)

hey man,

kudos on the cool displacement use on those balls, interesting effect although I can`t see it using so much RAM ...

While I can`t give you a clear answer I can say this:

I recently used my girlfriends laptop for a personal project of mine using v-ray. The laptop itself isn`t a 2014 rig, it has an i5 CPU and 4GB of RAM. I rendered out an arh-viz image in 2k resolution with lots of grass (over 2k instances / proxies of grass patches) with ease. So it certainly is doable as far as I am concerned :)

And no, you can use up to like 99% of your available RAM and the machine will still run. Going above that though will make your windows use your paging space on the hdd. That will make everything slow, I mean really slow :D

In the end I believe you can surely do great stuff with 8GB - really great stuff! If you are worried you can always keep your task manager open and keep an eye on those numbers ;) Besides, I know some really really great artists doing awesome fooliage / arch viz on 4GB specced computers. No limit if you do it right imo :)

Thank you dear friend.

I have another question too.

When we wanna unwrap our model, what resolution is suitable to choose? In that balls I used 3000*3000.

Can the resolution of unwrapped model have an effect on the used memory?

Edited by fardinazhari