Problem with Dynamic and Static Default Geometry on Vray adv. 3.00.03

Hi Guys, could anybody tell me why is it that when i switch the Default Geometry to Dynamic it doesen´t use all the available RAM?

I´m runing it on a machine equipped with 18 GB of RAM, i´ve set a value of 16400 on the Dyn mem limit.

When i swich it to static i uses all of my 18 GB but on Dynamic it only uses about 9 GB and i´m giving it the 16400 value.:confused:

Hope somebody has the solution, thanks!!!

PD: Sorry about my English

I could be wrong here, but it was my understanding that the difference between dynamic and static is that Static loads all geometry into memory and holds it for the length of the render. Dynamic loads only what it needs to for the bucket being rendered.

It seems to me that your experience is exactly what the option was created for. Vray doesn't need any more memory than it is using because it is not holding your entire scene in memory while trying to render.

Why did you decide that higher memory use equals a faster render time? When you run your memory too high, it will actually slow down your render times.

Also, your bucket size is only running your memory higher because it is holding more in memory. Smaller buckets are generally faster, especially for DR and Final Buckets as they allow more cores to render the last bucket. This is why Vray added Dynamic Splitting.

RAM usage will not affect render time unless you hit the max available, at which time it will slow the render considerably and is also the most common cause of failure.

Static/Dynamic is only a consideration when you are using VRay proxies. If your proxies exceed the amount of available RAM you should use Dynamic. Otherwise, static will be slightly faster.

I just thought that more memory usage equals less hard drive reading/writting operations and therefore faster rendering, i guess i was wrong. I tried with a higher bucket size and as you said it went wrong.

This matter has always confused me, so, i decided to ask, now, thanks to you guys, i´ve understood, thanks a lot for your help!

Edited by ezequielbay