Insane Vray 2.0 rendering time

Hello, I'm a new Vray user. I've only done a couple of rendering projects before, but the rendering times always skyrocket. This time i had it running for 15 hours and it was only done with the prepasses. I used the default indoor rendering setting for very high quality, and the image was 3525 by 2475. The materials i've used have a lot of subdivisions, because the scene is primarily lit with emissive lighting. The floor had to be done with 500 subdivisions to eliminate the light specks. I've allocated 7gb of ram, but it only uses 500 mb for some reason.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!

Kind regards, a stressed out newb.

Specs: i7-4790K 4GHz

GeForce 760 GTX 4GB

8GB Ram

test render 5.jpg

Edited by mikkeltroelsen

500 subdivisions is way too much for anything in my opinion. That floor material can work with 128 or 256 max. Actually i hardly ever go beyond 128 when i render in sketchup. If you have your materials set up with such huge subdivisions then your rendertimes are bound to be high.

But first, what are the specs of your current system?

Thank you for the reply. My current specs are:

Windows 8 64 bit

i7-4790K 4GHz

GeForce 760 GTX 4GB

8GB Ram

I tried with 256, but i still got the light specks on the material. I don't know if it's because the intensity of the emissive material is too high, but i has to turn it up a lot to get any light into the render.

What is "Emissive material" ? VrayMtl with SelfIllumination ? Or VrayLightMtl ? You should use the latter. Still it's highly preferable you either:

A: Convert those bulbs to VrayLight/Meshes. SubOptimal but much better.

or B: Make those bulbs from normal Glass ("Thin" for thin geometry, or Refractive for Shell geometry) and put normal VrayLight/Sphere inside.

Optionally, update to Vray 3 for Sketchup and use 'default' settings. Don't tweak anything you don't understand, it's not needed.

Thank you for the reply. My current specs are:

Windows 8 64 bit

i7-4790K 4GHz

GeForce 760 GTX 4GB

8GB Ram

I tried with 256, but i still got the light specks on the material. I don't know if it's because the intensity of the emissive material is too high, but i has to turn it up a lot to get any light into the render.

OK, just wanted to be sure you weren't working on a system with low specs and expecting good render-times. Juraj's said it all, why use emissive materials to light a scene? Create vray lights where you've got your lights or use a sphere.

There isn't any vray 3 for sketchup. Its just 2.0 but it comes with presets, try selecting the interior preset without tweaking anything unless you really understand what it does. A good note will be the tips that come up when you hover your mouse over some of the options. Otherwise you can head over to spot3d and read more on some of the vray settings.