Payment through Paypal

F Suarez

Hi everyone. In the past two years I've been modeling 3D interiors whenever someone asks me, it isn't very steady and sometimes I'm stopped for more than a month, and for health reasons I work very slowly - I wrote about it in this thread - but it's something that I enjoy, and it's a small but rather welcome addition to my limited income

I live in Europe but almost all my clients are from the US, and all of them so far paid through Paypal transfer, either to an old account of mine or to my brother's account, but last month Paypal decided that since I surpassed 1800 euros of international transfers in one year they to want to get the account verified. So, it means sending them a document to prove my identity.

I'm not sure I want to do this because I have a disability pension - due to my health problems - and where I live the law is quite draconian, basically saying that I'd lose my right to the pension if I have any other income. It's quite stupid, because with my limitations I'll never be able to have a reasonable income, but at the same time it's understandable, because it's designed to prevent fraud from people who are completely healthy and try to trick the system.

I have no idea if PayPal would inform the entity that pays my pension [in this case, the government], be it now or in the future, but I'm wondering if isn't easier and safer to simply create another account, and delete it when reaching 1800 euros. Or in alternative, to create another account, using the name of another family member. It's someone already retired, in his 60's, and who could receive other income without a penalty.

I'm leaning to this last option, but would love to hear the thoughts of someone more experienced in these matters.

All comments and suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Edited by fsuarez

In the US, Paypal has a rule that they will report your earnings once you one of 2 conditions

1) 200 transactions

2) $20,000 USD

Not sure what the rules are with where you live, but if you are doing this work "under the table" than you are going to be limiting the clients you work with I would think. Most want to do things the 'legal' way and report your earnings.

In the US, Paypal has a rule that they will report your earnings once you one of 2 conditions

1) 200 transactions

2) $20,000 USD

Not sure what the rules are with where you live, but if you are doing this work "under the table" than you are going to be limiting the clients you work with I would think. Most want to do things the 'legal' way and report your earnings.

Thanks for your post.

I wasn't aware of those limitations in the US. But BTW, by ''report your earnings'' you mean PayPal informs the US government? I live in Europe, so that doesn't affect me directly, but that's precisely my fear.

With this I'm indeed limiting my clients, you are completely right, but they are almost exclusively private home owners simply wanting to redesign one or two rooms, it's really more or less basic work, advising and suggesting. Compared to most persons here it's quite insignificant, I guess.